Best DVDs for working out at home?

Options
What are some of your favorite DVDs for working out at home? I don't go to the gym much because I live 45 minutes away from the closest one, though I'll swing by once in awhile to go for a swim.

I have a treadmill at home that I use regularly, but I've had a hard time finding DVDs I like. I have a few yoga DVDs, but I don't find they provide much of a workout. I have a dance DVD or two that I didn't like. I have Insanity as well, and while I like that, I think I am still too much of a beginner for that one. I wasn't into P90x because I've heard you need equipment for that one, and I don't have any outside of some ankle weights and a resistance band.

I'm planning on getting the 30 Day Shred DVD, but if I order that I might as well order a few more. Which ones would you guys recommend?

Replies

• getrealforme
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. Great workout in 30 min a day. Tone, build muscle, and lose fat. I usually get bored easily with workout DVD's but not with this program.
  • brentpaul33
    brentpaul33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Tae bo. It's a heck of a workout. I will admit though I can't do the whole video yet but that's something I am working towards. If you checkout youtube you can see some of the workout videos we listed to see if they might be something you would like.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you've got a smart phone, download Nike Training Club - free app, full of awesome workouts. Some require dumbbells, some are just body weight moves. Great app - I've been using it for over a year and still haven't done every workout. It was great for me when I got bored with my DVDs, so good to break things up or mix and match with whatever you order.

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'll second Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. It normally lasts 90 days, but I'm stretching it out to 6 months by doubling up each phase. All you need are hand weights and a stretch band.

I also love Leslie Sansone's walking videos when I'm in the mood for something light. Now that Jillian has built me up, I do the steps faster and use weights when I do Leslie's routines.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme and Brazil Butt Lift!
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There are some great workouts online if you can stream the video to your TV. Here are a few to check out

http://hasfit.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFitin90
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scoutfinchie
    scoutfinchie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 lbs since January doing The Firm Express DVD's 3-4x week plus brisk walking, roller skating and weight lifting.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    I have Zumba DVD's (from zumba.com) and pilates for stretching. I've had my zumba DVD's for 4 years now, and I've been doing them on and off.
  • Forever4me
    Forever4me Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a slew of them...The Firm, Turbo Jam, Zumba, Combat, Turbofire, Jazzercise, Jillian etc...probably over 50 in all. I've gotten most from Collage Video and Beachbody. Collage Video website is great...you can usually see 1-2 minutes of the DVD, they have "staff favorites", are rated for intensity (beginner, intermediate and advanced) and what, if any, equipment you need. They come speedy-quick, and I've had one or two that I had problems with over the years (nothing to be concerned about), and they have GREAT customer service. Super nice people on the other end and very helpful. They will send a replacement disc, and a return envelope to send the defective one back. And if you don't like it...you return it. Hope that helps!!
  • Forever4me
    Forever4me Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    One more note about Collage....they have user reviews, which is always very helpful!
  • CarmenDsewell
    Options
    I got the supreme 90 day system, which is a set 10 plus a bonus, so really 11 DVDs for $20 online. The only equipment needed are dumbbells, a stability ball and if you want, yoga mat if you'll be working out on a hard floor.
  • befitt4ever
    Options
    Zwow workouts on Youtube. from Zuzzana light. she is phenomenal. with her quick 12-30 min extreme workouts.
    Body rock also.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • meredith2780
    Options
    I love Zumba, turbofire and chalean Extreme. Those are my all time favs.
  • Cherir08141993
    Options
    I just started using Tracy Anderson's Metamorphasis. It's pretty much a 90-day program with the same cardio (dance moves) but after every 10 days and 1 day rest there is another workout DVD targeting the are your body type needs. I have been walking and by means a dancer but she encourages you to just keep moving and freestyle until you get the moves down. I think it is pretty fun. I have never done a video on my own. Hope it's worth the $104!
  • MrMaxOut
    MrMaxOut Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    this is a tricky question. how do you feel about lifting weights, are you ok with high impact exercises, are you going for weight lose or strength.
    "p90x" is great for cardio but you need some equipment dumbbells and power rack or pull up bar and yoga mat and blocks

"insanity" great high intensity body weight routines but has allot of high impact movements.

"incredible abs" great series with a great coach Cindy Whitmarsh only equipment needed is a pilates ball

if you have cable you can ONDEMAND in most areas some type of fitness routine for free theres actually some pretty decents ones in there. Good Luck and stick with it
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    bump

I like the New York City Ballet workouts.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Zumba!!! I love doing the Zumba Exhilarate videos. I start sweating almost immediately and they keep my heart rate up. Really good cardio in my opinion.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Not a DVD, but I have loved the few workouts I've done with the free Nike Training Club app. Great circuit training style and something new every day, no distracting people to look at, a friendly voice, good instruction and video help when you aren't familiar, timer set for you. I may like it better than videos. Check it out.