questions about heart rate during exercise

Options
I have calculated that my max heart rate is supposed to be around 196, but is it bad for your HR to be at least that during your entire exercise? Probably should discuss with a doctor or maybe a trainer, but I was just wondering if anyone here had any input or advice.

Replies

• wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think it is bad if it stays at that level for a long period of time.

Think you should shoot for less than 80% of max for cardio and less than I think 60% of max for fat burning. If someone who knows the actual numbers could look it up that would be helpful.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    that's just an estimate. if you don't have a pre-existing (or suspected) heart condition i wouldn't worry about it for a single second.
  • netjuru
    netjuru Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Typically, 80% is cardio zone and 65% is fat burn zone; for a healthy heart.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    MaxHR calculations are just an estimate and have quite a large margin of error. Exercising at your MHR is very hard, it is doubtful that you will be able to maintain it for an extended period.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    ^^^this
  • futureMrsWalker
    futureMrsWalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    MaxHR calculations are just an estimate and have quite a large margin of error. Exercising at your MHR is very hard, it is doubtful that you will be able to maintain it for an extended period.
    That's for sure. After 15-20 minutes I'm ready to stop, but then I think that's not enough exercise so I keep going to 30 minutes before giving up. Then I feel like death for the rest of the day. I think this is why I hate exercise.