'starvation mode'?

Options
ailixia
ailixia Posts: 23 Member
I've been tracking my calories on MFP for a while now and I find that quite often I'm under the 1200 calories minimum. I try to eat healthy and I succeed in general (yesterday was a bad day) and I don't have the desire to eat more.

One thing you should know, I live in China at the moment so it's hard to get some 'good oils' like avocado's and peanut butter (only Skippy is available here and that causes problems for my daily sugar intake). I'd love to eat more fruit but again, the sugar problem. Access to whole wheat products is also very difficult. I manage to get whole wheat bread but there's no such thing as whole wheat pasta or brown rice. I'm also vegetarian, my food diary is public!

I also do P90X and go running a few times a week so sometimes my net calorie intake is super low.

Any tips?

Replies

• PamShebamm
    PamShebamm Posts: 54
    Options
    Eat more. Also don't worry so much about things that put you over on sugar.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Rice and noodles? The values for the egg noodles you're recording seem low, are you sure about them?
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    With all your concern regarding sugar... sounds like you might be a diabetic or maybe borderline type 2 diabetic.

I suggest you try eating foods (such as peanut butter) that are made with a sugar substitute. I watch my sugar intake closely and almost never eat foods that contain more than 2 or 3 grams of sugar. You also did not disclose your current weight or goals... are you trying to lose weight or maintain. Although your diary is enlightening, I see days where you exceed your calorie goal. Knowing this, I would not say your body is in starvation mode.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    The bread may as well be sugar to your body, whole wheat or not. Eat the fruit instead at least you'll get more out of it nutritionally speaking.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Eat the fruit, and stop eating all the noodles, eat just tiny amounts of the noodles, and not everyday. They are calorie bombs. Fill up on lower calorie, more nutrition dense foods before you eat the noodles.

I lived in Asia for several years, and always gained when I ate a lot of noodles. Without any of the oil or sauces, they average 200 calories for 2 ounces dry. That's not a big serving at all.
  • ailixia
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!

Some more basic info:
    height 1.80m (5'11'')
    weight 68 kg (150lbs)

I'm trying to lose weight, but mostly inches, hence doing P90X. I'm not diabetic, just trying not to go over the daily sugar intake.

About the noodles, it's basically one of the only starch products I can find. Occasionally I make my own flour tortillas, but those also seem like calorie bombs to me. There's no way to get couscous or quinoa here. At home I don't like to prepare rice as when I eat out (once or twice a week) there's always (white) rice included. When I hear "just eat more" I really don't know what to eat. I already eat some nuts every day, I include a lot of fruit (breakfast smoothie and green smoothie as afternoon snack) in my diet. Again, more info in my public food diary.

Any more tips would be appreciated!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    As you are not diabetic, don't worry about the sugar, a little over is fine.

Have the fruit, peanut butter..in fact, cut up the apple and dip it in peanut butter as a snack :)
  • sophierebizant
    Options
    The sugar maximum on MFP is way too low for most people. I changed mine, because fruit is good for you and I do eat a lot of it. Eat your fruits! :)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    5 feet 11 inches, you are pretty tall, even by western standards...for example i am probably five-one and i weigh 120. Would you consider posting several pictures?

As far as the sugar, more fruit yes, adding extra peanut butter and you only have that one brand available is not something i would even consider ........i agree with you about the white rice, since you make your own healthy smoothies use more bananas... That will add calories and still be quite tasty......you are showing a great dinner.

Are you able to eat 2 dinners on some days? It is ok to have the foods you list as your dinner show up earlier in the day....i do think overall we need to know your goals, are you in maintenance?
  • mrsd164
    mrsd164 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi All
    I'm new to MFP and I write a little about myself

I am 5feet 7 inches tall, and currently weight 187 lbs (84kg) which is around 20kgs more than I want to weigh

so I have entered my goal into MFP and it tells me to eat 1200 calories a day, however, my BMR is 1623 and my TDEE is 1945 a day, so 1200 is SURELY going to put my body in starvation mode because I am only trying to lose 40lbs or so

I am trying to understand if eating 400cals less than my BMR (just staying alive) is actually going to result in weight loss

for the first 3 weeks of my diet I was following a different plan, where I think i was clocking 1600 a day, (but they tell you not to log actual calories) - and I lost my first 6.6lbs (3kilos) in 3 weeks , I thought I was doing great

and then I bought a fitbit, so I got the apps, and started changing to 1200 cals per day - and my weight has totally stalled , not a single change on the scales for a week

I am feeling extremely tired come 9pm, headaches occasionally and I would just really really appreciate any clear advice about whether or not eating that far below my BMR is healthy and will result in weight loss

many thanks in advance for any advice
    x:happy:
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have you considered ordering peanut butter, couscous, quinoa etc online?
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have had a look at your diet also . I would add more fruit to your diet its a natural sugar but i would still choose low sugar fruit like Berries they are very good fruits and apple . I do see that you are vegetarian but I think you need to get more protein in your diet i All beans, lentils, and peas are an excellent vegetarian and vegan source of protein.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sorry, why are you avoiding "calorie bombs" when you're under on calories?
  • ailixia
    Options
    Thanks again! Here some replies to what you guys suggested.

As far as the sugar, more fruit yes, adding extra peanut butter and you only have that one brand available is not something i would even consider .......

Do you mean I should or should not eat Skippy peanut butter? Not really sure what you mean.. I'm kind of afraid of the high amount of fat in it. Then again, I love peanut butter and I miss it a lot!!
    Are you able to eat 2 dinners on some days? It is ok to have the foods you list as your dinner show up earlier in the day....i do think overall we need to know your goals, are you in maintenance?

I never eat 2 dinners a day. I don't have any specific goals, would just like to lose some inches / body fat. I set my goal at 65 kg (143lbs) and I'm currently about 68 kg (150lbs) but I really do not care that much about the scale. I'd just like it to show!
    Why are you avoiding "calorie bombs" when you're under on calories?

I'm not actively avoiding them, but would just love some suggestions to have other sources of calories. As I said, it's hard to find couscous, quinoa, whole wheat anything (tortillas, pasta, noodles) here so I end up eating the same thing a lot.

Any more tips welcome, thanks a lot for your help!!
  • ailixia
    Options
    Bump.

I've been trying to increase calories over the past days (found couscous in carrefour and beans and other things). Still can't always seem to get to 1200. I also realised 1200 is supposed to be NET.... so I'm far far far away from that.

Would anyone mind looking at my diary (take today for example!) and give me some tips?
  • ailixia
    Options
    Hey guys,

Could anyone help me out? i've been trying to increase my calories over the past days but still can't seem to get to 1200 (net). Yesterday I ate about 1500 but burned over 700 with working out. Actually, I decided to take some extra snacks last night in order to get more calories (made myself a banana smoothie and had some crackers with peanut butter). I didn't feel like that was necessary though, I wasn't hungry. Today I haven't even reached 1200 yet and I've burned about 600 with working out... I feel the need to go and take some snacks tonight but really don't feel like it.

I really don't know what to do and how to change my intake.. Please anyone help!
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There:
    EAT, BREATHE , MOVE !!!
    What is your goal?
    To be healthy or anorexic?
    If God made it--it's good for you!
    Enjoy your journey!
  • ailixia
    Options
    Hi There:
    EAT, BREATHE , MOVE !!!
    What is your goal?
    To be healthy or anorexic?
    If God made it--it's good for you!
    Enjoy your journey!

Haha thanks!! The point is that I'm actually really not on a diet. Only thing I'm watching is not taking in any processed sugars (just a vow I made a few weeks ago). So I almost never eat any sweets. I'm honestly not trying to eat as little as possible. In fact, I am really enjoying eating just healthy and trying out new recipes every day!!