overeating

Options
Hi..
I've been yo-yo dieting for years, going for a week or so eating really healthy then letting it all go. I always find myself binge eating huge amounts of food, for days at a time, always lots of sugar and carbs. I don't know why I let myself do it, it's so frustrating, and I would love to lose weight but cannot do it, no matter how much I workout!
I am frustrated... any recommendations for calming the overeating??

Replies

• violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First, are you tracking your calories?

Second, the more sugar and starchy white carbs I eat, the more I want. Make sure you are getting adequate protein from lean sources. Try to incorporate protein and fibrous carbs (fruits a veggies) in every meal.

Also, you need to have some willpower. Everyone has it in them. You just need to find yours. Good luck!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I track everything. Being accountable, if only to myself, is a huge help. I also don't restrict any food so it's not off limits. I just try to limit amounts. I find that, doing it this way, I don't usually feel the need to bust out and eat mass amounts because I know I can have it if I want it and work it into my day.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I track everything. Being accountable, if only to myself, is a huge help. I also don't restrict any food so it's not off limits. I just try to limit amounts. I find that, doing it this way, I don't usually feel the need to bust out and eat mass amounts because I know I can have it if I want it and work it into my day.

I agree, dont restrict any food but just limit them. Its all about consistency and doing something you can stick to because its a lifestyle.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this from a thread that was posted a while back...

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

Putting down the fork and telling yourself to stop eating is not hard. Mind over matter. If you want to lose weight and make a change, then will it to happen and be accountable. Make the change.
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @ Lunachic77. - Thanks for posting that. I've been trying to help 2 of my friends to lose weight. I will use that quote on them to hopefully put some of their excuses in perspective a bit.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know it can be hard not to overeat but eventually we get used to not overeating. It takes time. Don't expect to change your eating habits overnight. I think it's important to make gradual changes. For example, I used to eat out all the time. My last class would end and I would drive to Mcdonalds. I gained weight incredibly fast. I used to eat without really being hungry. Now, I try to make smarter choices. I still eat junk food and I still eat out at times, but I limit the amount of food I eat. For instance, instead of eating two apple pies at Mcds. I only eat one. Small changes make all the difference. I also make sure I remind myself that although it is hard to exercise and eat healthier, developing a medical condition due to being obese like diabetes would make it much harder and in the end I would still have to make changes.
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    I'm taking this from a thread that was posted a while back...

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.

Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.

Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.

Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.

Putting down the fork and telling yourself to stop eating is not hard. Mind over matter. If you want to lose weight and make a change, then will it to happen and be accountable. Make the change.

Good post :smile:
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There is a binge eating disorder group on this site. Here is the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group

Also, I spent a good deal of my life binge eating. I stopped almost two years ago and have lost about 180 pounds. I believe that the primary reason I ate like that was sugar! I got off all sugar, and processed foods, and after about a month of "drying out", I lost the cravings to eat constantly! I have recently had a relapse, which I suspect has been caused by increasing the fruit and bread in my diet. (I don't eat junk food any more). So I am going to cut way back on fruit, and eliminate bread again.