upscale scale?

Options
aagaag
aagaag Posts: 89 Member
I am a statistics buff. Seriously. So my question is: what is the best scale that would satisfy my obsession? I would like the scale to output data (preferably wirelessly, but USB is tolerable, if only barely) including weight, impedance (hence body fat, water content, muscle), and time of the day. The output needs to be Excel, comma-separated fields, or similar.

I understand that Soehnle, Withings etc. offer to upload data onto their website, and then provide a few cute graphs - but that doesn't cut it for me. I need to calculate standard errors of the mean, first and second derivatives, polynomial fits, you name it. That's why I need raw data, not cute graphs!

Can somebody (maybe afflicted by the same compulsive-obsession as myself) help and advise me?

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You might want to look at the FitBit Aria. It syncs wirelessly to their website BUT with a premium membership (I think it was about $50/year), you get the ability to export your data to excel spreadsheets in either .XLS or .CSV formats. From there you can crunch numbers to your heart's content! :smile:
  • aagaag
    aagaag Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jody. Sounds good - but not at 50$/yr for the rest of my life!

Maybe I will end up going for the Soehnle, the one with the USB port.

WiFi is theoretically superior to USB. However what I do not like of the WiFi models is that they all force you to sign into their proprietary website. I'd rather have these data locally. Not (only) for privacy, but also because I want to control what happens to them...
  • Ajesin
    Ajesin Posts: 6
    Options
    I use Withings with WIFI, but have not yet found a way to export the data from the Withings Website. However, there are many partner applications to connect with (like Runtastic and MyFitnessPal), so maybe one of them allows you to get what you want. I have also noted that Withings only shows Weight, Fat (kg or %) and BMI, but not Water, so I think that's not what you're looking for.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.tanita.com/en/bc1000plusbk/ and other models. No personal experience but wireless options and iThing conectivity are mentioned.
  • Ajesin
    Ajesin Posts: 6
    Options
    Withings data export is possible, see http://my.withings.com/static/faq/pdf/FAQ_de.pdf page 18. :smile:
    Here is what you get:
    PSEUDO,DATE,HOUR,HEIGHT,WEIGHT,FATMASS,FATFREEMASS,COMMENT
    NIK,"2013/05/27","07:50:48","","62.5","9.7","52.8",""
    NIK,"2013/05/26","14:22:19","","62.8","9.4","53.4",""