girls only!!! advice for those time of the months

Options
Hey ladies! I'm getting a go at this again because it is something I truly enjoy and truly want to do. I noticed in the past I've slacked on working out about the time of my monthly cycle. Wanting to eat candy and chocolate and stomach cramping and just plain being to tired to workout. Does any of you have advice for me?

Replies

• godds6
    godds6 Posts: 22
    Options
    No advice here.. I'm in the same boat. I finally caved tonight and ate a few squares of a chocolate bar. I've been resisting for days. It's so hard. I usually eat a whole bag of Ghirardelli milk chocolate caramel squares (if not more) the week before. UGH.
  • XxTuffxX
    XxTuffxX Posts: 9
    Options
    Well hopfully we can both get some answers then. :) I guess just keep working out and if we have a small piece of chocolate, it wont hurt much.
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Same issue here..blew out my numbers yesterday but got them back under control today. (Hadn't realized why the craving right away lol)
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    I have noticed that I also get cravings for sweets during those times, but if I go drink extra water, I realize that my body was trying to tell me that I needed more water instead. It might help.
  • godds6
    Options
    Same issue here..blew out my numbers yesterday but got them back under control today. (Hadn't realized why the craving right away lol)

This!! I didn't realize either... I had to check my app! LOL It's been wonky for several months so I'm not as in tune as I was ;)
  • godds6
    Options
    I have noticed that I also get cravings for sweets during those times, but if I go drink extra water, I realize that my body was trying to tell me that I needed more water instead. It might help.

Water doesn't seem to help... It's not all sweets.. Just chocolate........ GOBS of chocolate! LOL
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think many of us have these same problems during that time of month. For me I try to stay as active as possible, even if its just a walk or a light bike ride in the park and I find that it helps, but its not like I'm going to go out and do crossfit or Julian Michaels or P90X when I'm feeling miserable. As someone else said keep drinking water - plenty of water and that will help a little with the cravings. If you have to have sugar or chocolate then HAVE sugar or chocolate and try to hold yourself to enjoying it in moderation only. The longer you try to refrain the more likely you are to over indulge once you finally give in.
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Berries are AWESOME during that time. Yoghurt is great too (I find that full-fat stuff helps with cramps as well)
    Otherwise, only buy single-serve type chocolate treats - and only ONE when you want it. DOn't have it in the house waiting for you - and add it into your daily calories. I will sometimes cave for a kinder surprise egg. They're about 110 calories, and if I want, I can halve it and share it with my partner for less calories but I'm still satisfied :)
  • littlelady2b
    littlelady2b Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm going to try and give some help here if I can lol. If you eat dark chocolate its better for you but to solve my chocolate craving I'll make myself a mocha at home its still chocolate and it helps and isn't as bad as downing a lot of chocolate. As far as exercise goes I know that's a hard one what I'd do is get through the worst of the cramps and not exercise or just sit in a chair and tone with bands or weights what ever you have but really when I've had a hard time of it if I want chocolate and lots of it and don't want to exercise let someone try and argue with me about it lol! I'm suppose be in menopause and I've been 14 months without that time of the month and I had to deal with one this month all I could say was are you kidding me?? lol
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I push through the work outs but my level of intensity is definitely lower and the work out isn't as good. I eat dark chocolate when possible, but normally end up mowing down on anything chocolate. I eat about twice as much in snacks but still remain close to goals that way.
  • misskate1987
    Options
    When I have severe cravings (regardless of the reason behind said cravings) I give myself permission to eat at maintenance level calories.

Usually I don't get that high, but knowing I have the buffer makes me less stressed and sometimes the cravings simply go away. Worst case scenario, you don't lose for the week.

There are far worse things in the world than giving into a craving every now and then ;)
  • lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Go for the choc! ... But like someone already said, make sure you only buy a single serving! I sometimes have to get my boyfriend to buy it for me...otherwise I would buy 5 of ever type of choc available in the store!

You could also try other things like make smoothies with cocoa powder in them for a choc flavour. I have a few smoothies a week to get some extra greens...and just thought of this so will be trying it out myself!

Like someone else already said - depriving yourself of it could lead to a bigger binge, so try and just work a couple of squares in to your calories :-) and take 1 day at a time (or 1 meal at a time if things are getting real tough!)

All that being said....I could destroy a block of choc right now!! Just lucky its raining too hard for me to get to the shops!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I understand feeling like that sometimes, it's not exactly the most optimal time for training and eating well. My advice is to go workout anyway, do what you can. It doesn't have to be the same intensity or length of time, but getting up and doing something - I bet that most of the time, you'll end up feeling better once you're there. Make sure you get a good night's sleep before and if cramping is bad, dose up on the nurofen a couple of hours before.

Regarding the chocolate, a little bit won't harm. It's not like it's off limits forever. This was my exact situation on Friday. I was grumpy as hell, and tired and craving chocolate (I'm not even a chocolate fan at all most of the time) and if I hadn't had painkillers that morning I'd have had that to deal with too. My solution, red bull, a bar of dark chocolate and the motivation to snap out the bad mood - because that will certainly not help.

Situations aren't easy sometimes, but you've got to do your best. You can't just give up, that's a good part of a week, every month, because of something you can't control. At least you can be in control of how you handle it :)
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    eat some choc if you want it just dont eat the entire store, force yourself to workout if it makes you feel better, dont work out if it makes you feel worse, drink plenty of water, if its really bad grab a hot water bottle/painkillers and lay on the couch with a bunch of movies or a good book.

its not a time to give up completely, just make smarter choices and deal with life as it comes.