Night Shift Grazing!

Options
I seriously despise working the night shift but as a nurse we all must take our turn. Anybody have any tips on how to beat the night shift food grazing? :yawn:

Replies

• Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    pack your allowed food, and dont take any money to work to buy anything.
  • g6author
    g6author Posts: 11
    Options
    Great post..because so many of us night shift care takers run into this problem. I often start my night shift without a proper meal but i have recently taken to protein shakes to replace dinner. I have one before work and it helps curb my appetite well into the night. If you're not a complete health conscious individual then I would suggest popcorn as a snack. A full bag of microwave popcorn is only170 calories and is very filling. When I do feel a need to graze I eat a bag of popcorn and it fixes me right up.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    lots of water and distraction
    and hope that your co-workers did not bring any delishous chocolate truffle cheesecake (i caved for cheesecake)
  • michelewobbe
    michelewobbe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Thanks!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking your food. I work a 4 on 2 off rota, and when I do nights I go shopping for my food for those 4 nights. I leave it at work. I don't have anything too heavy because it sits uncomfortably. I like yoghurts and frozen grapes as snacks. I will aim to eat a meal, but it will be a chicken salad sandwich or something like that. And a can of diet pop (because endless coffee makes my mouth taste cack, and constant water just makes me want to pee all the time).
    cereal is always good too. or oatmeal.
    just stay away from the vending machines!
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to take a thermos of real coffee and allow yourself some small treats like a bit of dark chocolate with your coffee. I find it very difficult to eat at night though so coffee kept me going and I would usually just have some toast at about 3am- kinda an early breakfast.

One of the best things about moving to community for me has been no night shifts!
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    pack your allowed food, and dont take any money to work to buy anything.

yep- im a shift worker too- and packing your food is the best idea. have some extra healthy food oacked (or in a locker, whatever) for emergencies or really hungry days. having an extra protein bar, almonds, yogurt, pc of fruit to grab if u are hungry is crucial when others are bringing in garbage, ordering in, or raiding the vending machine :)

good luck!
  • cajuin
    cajuin Posts: 10
    Options
    I've been a shift worker for almost 20 years, break the cycle now.
    Pack your food and have a few safe foods just in case.
    Try not to eat at same time as co-workers, I found crushed ice and water to be great.
    oyea, when bored don't eat...that's how I've gotten 140lbs over weight.
  • shakedown576
    shakedown576 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hr night shifts exclusively. It was already mentioned before, but I eat just what I pack and hope no one brought treats. the 3 of us on shift are all trying to eat healthy and are on MFP so it is good support.