Looking for hypothyroid support.

Options
I'm 24 years old and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in May of 2011. I weighed 192 pounds and have, since then, taken 26 of those off. Unfortunately, I've been at a frustrating plateau for several months despite hard exercise and various diet adjustments. Having hypothyroidism makes it slow to lose and more likely to stagnate - and that can be so frustrating! I'm looking to network with other hypothyroids who are trying to lose weight. We need all the support we can get.

Replies

• MariettaDelene
    MariettaDelene Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Still searching for other hypothyroids out there.
  • PhatBassTurd
    PhatBassTurd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What are some common symptoms of this? My Dad mentioned something about his thyroid being messed up and I didnt pay much attention to it.
  • lmtrevin77
    lmtrevin77 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and just recently had my dosage upped because it has fallen way lower since having my gallbladder taken out. Feel free to add me. I don't track food on here, though. I use this site as more of a place for moral support than logging.
  • lahan505
    lahan505 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I, too, deal with hypothyroidism. It makes the path to our goals twice as long, twice as hard and twice as frustrating as we deal with it. Even when the hormone is balanced with medication, the sluggish memory is created.
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I, too, am SO frustrated with thyroid issues and my weight not wanting to budge! I am on Armour Thyroid (since March), and my TSH is now at .28. My doctor doesn't want to change anything, and wants to see if I can lose more weight before my next follow-up. Anyone can add me, but I'm so new at this, I don't know how many answers I can give. I will say, I have been reading info on the website www.stopthethyroidmadness.com and it seems pretty helpful.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm struggling with hypothyroid, trying my best to keep losing but I feel like I'm fighting an endless battle. I'm changing over from synthetic hormones, Synthroid, to natural dessicated thyroid. I hope it works. I log in everyday but have holes in my food diary, frankly I'm too exhausted some days. But, I do eat mostly healthy, clean foods.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you take your meds it's no harder to lose than for someone without hypothyroidism. Good luck!
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you search the groups, there are a few for thyroid problems and hypothyroidism.
  • MariettaDelene
    Options
    If you take your meds it's no harder to lose than for someone without hypothyroidism. Good luck!

This is absolutely not true. Hypothyroidism is different for everyone. I'm leveled out and stuck despite dieting, exercise and regular medication. And you can tell from other responses that this is a common problem.
  • MariettaDelene
    Options
    If you search the groups, there are a few for thyroid problems and hypothyroidism.

I've seen a few. I joined the active ones, but there are a couple inactive ones as well. Just looking to network. :)
  • MariettaDelene
    Options
    What are some common symptoms of this? My Dad mentioned something about his thyroid being messed up and I didnt pay much attention to it.

Here's a long list of symptoms: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/DS00353/DSECTION=symptoms

If you're concerned about being hypothyroid, I would get tested by an endocrinologist.
  • sassynurse78
    Options
    I have had it since i was sixteen and i find that i consistently hit spots where i lose nothing, even working very hard at it. I sometimes forget about it for a week, i don't log foods and kinda say whatever! It seems to help me start to lose again when i become strict again. I also cannot tell you how much starting to exercise has helped me mentally and with my energy level. I never thought i would say i like to go to the gym-but i do and it makes me feel so much more normal energy wise. It has greatly improved my depression that goes along with hypothyroidism as well.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm hypo and successfully controlling weight and most of the other symptoms, feel free to add me :)
  • trudijoy
    Options

partly true. You have to have the right level of the right meds and the right lifestyle as well.
  • MariettaDelene
    Options

partly true. You have to have the right level of the right meds and the right lifestyle as well.

I think it can make things a lot more frustrating than someone without hypothyroidism. The medication is definitely not a fix-all. I've been leveled out and take my medication daily. They've had me cut gluten, sugar and starch from my diet which got me under 190, and are now talking about high-sugar fruits, dairy and red meats. This is on top of five days of exercise and successful calorie management. I suppose the rest of that all falls into the "right lifestyle," but I don't think most people without some sort of disorder have to go through that much to get below 165 lbs.
  • trudijoy
    Options

I think it can make things a lot more frustrating than someone without hypothyroidism. The medication is definitely not a fix-all. I've been leveled out and take my medication daily. They've had me cut gluten, sugar and starch from my diet which got me under 190, and are now talking about high-sugar fruits, dairy and red meats. This is on top of five days of exercise and successful calorie management. I suppose the rest of that all falls into the "right lifestyle," but I don't think most people have to go through that much to get below 165 lbs.

absolutely. when i'm symptomatic I haven't got a chance. but (and maybe i'm fortunate, or maybe it's fate being nice after it took them 12 years to diagnose me!) it hasn't affected my weight loss too badly. My immune system takes hits and my skin and hair have their times of blah but overall if i'm eating well, moving well, and taking my meds i'm ok.

I honestly think it's just about trial and error until you find the right combo for you.
  • MariettaDelene
    Options

absolutely. when i'm symptomatic I haven't got a chance. but (and maybe i'm fortunate, or maybe it's fate being nice after it took them 12 years to diagnose me!) it hasn't affected my weight loss too badly. My immune system takes hits and my skin and hair have their times of blah but overall if i'm eating well, moving well, and taking my meds i'm ok.

I honestly think it's just about trial and error until you find the right combo for you.

I think the big thing for everyone to remember is that it's different for each person. One case of hypothyroidism is never typical for the whole group.
  • trudijoy
    Options

I think the big thing for everyone to remember is that it's different for each person. One case of hypothyroidism is never typical for the whole group.

yep. not everyone will struggle, not everyone will fall into place. most of us will have a bit of both columns. they changed my meds, I made them change it back, and I had a month of failing to digest and process properly. lost nothing, and god it hurt.
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Me!! Me!! I've been hypo most of my life (mine is bad- they found it when I was around 12 and I was in near-coma levels) I have a non-functioning thyroid I've lost over 120 lbs in the past year and they keep lowering my meds with my weight (dr said that affects it and I don't need as much meds now that I'm smaller - yes, they test it, and yes it's an endo dr). It's frustrating! I find I've had to cut out a lot of stuff most others can still eat (plus I have colitis which is part of that too LOL) and my body adapts fast to routine exercises - I have to continually change up my workouts or I adapt and stop loosing weight. Thankfully there is such a big variety out there. I do make sure I get in weight training a few times a week and lately have really had to up my cardio intensity I have under 15 lbs left to my goal and these last ones are the worst - I was stuck for almost a month recently - I was finishing up a program (Les Mills Pump) and my body had adapted to the workouts I think. As soon as I started adding in different workouts, I started loosing again. Now I just started a combination of ChaLEAN Extreme (which is the weights) and TurboFire (which is cardio) and have started loosing again, albeit slowly Well, feel free to add me as a friend (anyone who wants support!)
  • edenvale
    edenvale Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey you can add me, i am also hypo and i find it very hard to lose as well, i saw a nutritionist who gave me a diet plan and lost 7kgs on it, i can email it to you if you like. I am on 100mcg of eltroxin at present.