Jillian Michaels and the popularity of the 30 Day Shred

Options
2»

Replies

• UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    I see ALL KINDS of topics on here regarding 30 Day Shred with people posting their successes with it, along with questions like how heavy weights to use and how many calories it burns. There is a topic it seems regarding this workout just about every other day.

It's a WONDERFUL workout - don't get me wrong. It is part of my rotation, and I do look forward to that one. I will pick any two levels if it's my 30 Day Shred day to make the workout a full hour.

However:

Jillian Michaels has so many other fantastic workout DVD's out there that are hardly ever mentioned on these forums. Here are the ones I own that are in rotation 4 to 5x a week:

No More Trouble Zones (Fantastic strength training video)

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (More cardio based with lots of plyometrics, but it does have some strength moves thrown in)

Six Week Six Pack (Overall body workout - Level 2 is probably the most difficult for me of all the workouts I list here)

Ripped in 30 (4 half hour workouts that follow the same format as the 30 Day Shred)

Killer Buns and Thighs (Exactly what the title says - mostly it's a lower body workout that incorporates both strength training and cardio)

Extreme Shed and Shred (Another of my favorites! Great overall body workout)

Killer Abs (overall body workout with a bit more focus on the midsection)

Hard Body (Overall body workout. Level 1 is good, but level 2 is kind of odd in my opinion)

Kick Box Fast Fix (Kickboxing - it takes a few times to really get the moves down as they can be complex. However, now that I've learned it, it's ton of fun and I really look forward to this one).

The only one I truly don't care for is Yoga Meltdown. I do own it, but it's not part of my rotation as I found it just doesn't give me any kind of a burn, so it's kind of a waste of time.

If you own the 30 Day Shred, you will love these ones too.

Thanks for this! I'm going to do ripped or extreme shred after the normal shed with trouble zones and perhaps buns and thighs as i already have them
    Jillian has so much more to offer so i try to pass it on too :)
    There's also youtube videos of her giving advice/skinny tips for you guys to look at :)
    <3
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    What I really find interesting too is what workout I might find difficult, somebody else might think it's easy.

I did have a conversation on here awhile back with a person who thought Six Week Six Pack was too easy, and not challenging enough.

I agree with the person. I'm currently doing 6 Week 6 Pack (on level 2) and it's defo NOT in the same category as Insanity :wink: I'll be doing Body Revolution next so I'll keep you posted :happy:
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Awesome info! Commenting to remember later
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I think 30 Day Shred gets so much attention because it's cheap, good for beginners, an overall body workout, and tends to give good results. Agreed that people should mention the other great DVDs, though. Thanks for posting a list!

Yes, and don't forget: getting results with less than 30minutes per day. It's good for getting people hooked. Then when they're ready to commit more time to working out, moving to some of the more involved workouts.

SO true. Never looked at it that way but the 30DS is what got me hooked on working out, before that any work out I tried to dedicate myself to I failed.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the description of each. I was just at Target last night looking at the JM DVD's that I don't already have and wasn't sure which to get. This helps to narrow it down!
  • LauraJ2012
    LauraJ2012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Went to a super center Walmart yesterday ... and left with 2 Jillian DVD's ... 30 Day Shred and Killer Legs/Butt. Looking forward to trying them out!
  • nirvi9
    nirvi9 Posts: 34
    Options
    I've done 30DS, RI30, NMT and 6W6P/KBT (though I didn't make it through those ones). The one I go back to all the time though now it No More Trouble Zones. I do a lot of cardio (running, biking, swimming) so like that it's strength focused, but keeps the intensity up (for me 6W6P and KBT weren't as intense). On days when I do other workouts I'll split it up and only do half of the circuits that day, which makes it take about the same amount of time as 30DS
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    What about Jillian Michaels' 30 day slim down

It's a rotation suposedly created by Jillian ( although I cant find the original source). It consists of the 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, and Burn Fat/Boost Metabolism.

N.B. 'Quick Trouble Zones' is the standing part of 'No More Trouble Zones'.

Here is what the program looks like

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES

DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 14 - OFF!
    DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
    DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM

DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
    DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 26 - OFF!
    DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
    DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
    DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It was funny hearing Jillian slam her own workout (30 Day Shred) but the main reason behind her consternation, I think, is that her real accomplishment, in her opinion, is the Body Revolution. She said that if she was personally training someone, this is how she would do it--separate progressive workouts for the front and back of the body, each separated by two days with a cardio day in between. Her chief complaint is that she doesn't think people should be continually doing the same workout day after day after day..and her workout DVDs did evolve to reflect the variety she was striving for.

That said..it is a good introduction to her workout series. I did 30DS (at least the first two stages, lol...Phase Three was too much of a beyotch!! I will go back and retry it when I am done with Revolution though) before I got Body Revolution in the mail, and I am about to start the second month of that. I really like this program and my muscles are starting to pop! :)
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Great post--thanks for the summary! I have to admit that I hated 30DS but love her other DVDs. :-)
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree...the 30DS is the first JM workout I've picked up...and kept going from there. I haven't used anything else.
    And, as a side note, with the exception of a couple, most of her workouts are around 30 minutes long. And thank goodness, because that is pretty much all I have the patience for!
    Good luck on your goals!!!
  • radcliff17
    radcliff17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I see ALL KINDS of topics on here regarding 30 Day Shred with people posting their successes with it, along with questions like how heavy weights to use and how many calories it burns. There is a topic it seems regarding this workout just about every other day.

It's a WONDERFUL workout - don't get me wrong. It is part of my rotation, and I do look forward to that one. I will pick any two levels if it's my 30 Day Shred day to make the workout a full hour.

However:

Jillian Michaels has so many other fantastic workout DVD's out there that are hardly ever mentioned on these forums. Here are the ones I own that are in rotation 4 to 5x a week:

No More Trouble Zones (Fantastic strength training video)

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (More cardio based with lots of plyometrics, but it does have some strength moves thrown in)

Six Week Six Pack (Overall body workout - Level 2 is probably the most difficult for me of all the workouts I list here)

Ripped in 30 (4 half hour workouts that follow the same format as the 30 Day Shred)

Killer Buns and Thighs (Exactly what the title says - mostly it's a lower body workout that incorporates both strength training and cardio)

Extreme Shed and Shred (Another of my favorites! Great overall body workout)

Killer Abs (overall body workout with a bit more focus on the midsection)

Hard Body (Overall body workout. Level 1 is good, but level 2 is kind of odd in my opinion)

Kick Box Fast Fix (Kickboxing - it takes a few times to really get the moves down as they can be complex. However, now that I've learned it, it's ton of fun and I really look forward to this one).

The only one I truly don't care for is Yoga Meltdown. I do own it, but it's not part of my rotation as I found it just doesn't give me any kind of a burn, so it's kind of a waste of time.

If you own the 30 Day Shred, you will love these ones too.

Thanks for this! I'm going to do ripped or extreme shred after the normal shed with trouble zones and perhaps buns and thighs as i already have them
    Jillian has so much more to offer so i try to pass it on too :)
    There's also youtube videos of her giving advice/skinny tips for you guys to look at :)
    <3
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I too have been enjoying Jillian workouts but I have only done the free ones on youtube. I Actually got through day 3 on 30ds Level 2 before I joined a gym about 2 months ago. Right now, I am away from the gym for two weeks and so I am doing you tube workout videos. There are several Jillian videos available on you tube. Now that I am in better shape, I do 2 or 3 levels of 30DS at a day. I also like her "banish fat boost metabolism", her "No more trouble zones" and her "kickbox workout" I am going to do her 6 pack abs today. I do miss taking classes at the gym(the social aspect of it) but only a few classes at my gym could have any comparison to Jillian's workouts:)
  • MelClaire2000
    Options
    I agree...the 30DS is the first JM workout I've picked up...and kept going from there. I haven't used anything else.
    And, as a side note, with the exception of a couple, most of her workouts are around 30 minutes long. And thank goodness, because that is pretty much all I have the patience for!

I agree, beyond 30 minutes and I just can't squeeze it into the day....or get motivated to do it. I tell myself I can find 30 minutes at least...just not an hour.

BTW, great before and after pics, you look amazing!
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

I agree, beyond 30 minutes and I just can't squeeze it into the day....or get motivated to do it. I tell myself I can find 30 minutes at least...just not an hour.

BTW, great before and after pics, you look amazing!

Thank you...thank you very much!
    I am hoping to be an inspiration to people who don't want to work out an hour a day ;-)
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep for future
  • whitterbugkru
    Options
    *bookmark