Does pasta make you hungrier?

Options
kitticus15
kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
I find when I eat pasta I tend to want to munch through my entire body weight for the rest of the day...

It does not matter if the pasta is wholegrain or white... I still want to eat and eat and eat for the rest of the day...

I am wondering if anyone else suffer this way?

How do you deal with it?

At the moment I am considering cutting it out for good, but if anyone has any tips on how to deal with the binge cravings after eating pasta, please, please share them with me....

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    Does the opposite to me.........fills me up.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It fills me up for a very short time and then I am ravenous! This is exactly why I don't eat pasta anymore.
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use wholegrain pasta and I feel it fills me up. But I make sure I eat it with lean meat and lots of vegetables.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    no, its very filling for me
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always get hungry quickly after pasta no matter what I have it with !
  • Jacqueline86Chavez
    Jacqueline86Chavez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ive eaten pasta about 4 times this week and my appetite has improved, im more hungry today then i was last week. So im gonna say yes for me, pasta makes me want to eat more
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would imagine pasts would make you hungrier because it spikes your blood sugar levels, resulting in more insulin production, and when the levels come back down it could make you hungry again quickly.
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    I love whole wheat/whole grain pasta before a workout or as a light lunch. It's very filling. My rule is to never eat pasta for breakfast or dinner because I tend to go overboard and eat more than I should.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Very filling for me, too.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pasta, white or whole wheat, and anything with wheat (bread, cereal, etc.) makes you have a bigger appetite. Wheat is an appetite stimulant. This is according to the Wheat Belly book by Dr. William Davis. I believe it. I LOVE pasta but I eat like a cow after a bowl of pasta. Bread and cereals, etc. have the same effect. I'm trying to go wheat free because of this but it's really hard.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah, apparently it's to do with the way insulin stores carbs or something. Try substituting it with something else - mushrooms, diced cauliflower or sliced eggplant (in lasagne - like mousaka) and see if it still makes you hungry. Remember pasta has been processed a lot - wheat ground to make flour, then shaped, so it's not that great to eat. Courgette is quite good as a substitute as well.

I have pretty much removed all processed carbs from my food, and I don't miss them at all - and in the past I could happily sit down and eat a whole, fresh baguette.
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, i'm the kind of person who would cook half a packet of spirals and eat most it with bolognese and finding out i'm only supposed to have 1/2 a cup to a cup of pasta was torture. So recently I tried "slim pasta" which is only around 20 cals per 250g packet and I add the whole packet to a healthy bolognese with turkey mince or any lean mince and then throw in loads of veggies and that fills me up nicely.

Link to Slim Pasta http://www.slendierslim.com.au/ (Not sure where you're from, but there might be something like this thats available near you)
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on what you eat it with, as someone pointed out. If there's no protein and little fiber in the meal, it could be acting the same as sugar, especially if it's not whole grain pasta. For anyone who doesn't like whole wheat pasta, I recommend Tinkyada (or any good) brown rice pasta, because it tastes a lot like the regular pasta. If I eat pasta, I reduce the amount of fat in the sauce, have a small helping and fill up on a giant greens based salad. The fiber in the greens helps. But yes, pasta is so good and the sauce is so tasty ( and salty) that I want to eat more and more, so I have it only about once a week.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    no
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I find when I eat pasta I tend to want to munch through my entire body weight for the rest of the day...

It does not matter if the pasta is wholegrain or white... I still want to eat and eat and eat for the rest of the day...

Yes... because it spikes my insulin something horrible. I'm insulin resistant, and therefore have to limit my carbs in order to see any inches/weight loss. So I've chosen to limit pasta (whole grain) to a once-a-month treat where I allow myself to eat as much of it as I like.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    For anyone who doesn't like whole wheat pasta, I recommend Tinkyada (or any good) brown rice pasta, because it tastes a lot like the regular pasta.

I second Tinkyada as an alternative, Tinkyada is the best! I find it more filling and less likely to leave me hungry a short time later, than wheat pasta (of any kind - whole grain or not). We are trying as a family to go gluten free (at least at home) for my son, for whom we are doing a trial of GF to see if it helps improve his migraine and daily smaller headaches.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It fills me up for a very short time and then I am ravenous! This is exactly why I don't eat pasta anymore.

Same here ^^.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't eat pasta anymore. It fills me up for a very short time, and then I am ravenous. I have been a vegetarian for 42 years, so I've tried every solution to making pasta work for me. I just can't have it. If I'm gonna have a trigger food, might as well have baklavah or something that's worth it to me.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If I am having one of those days where I just "can't" eat enough calories, wheat (in the form of pasta, cereal, bread) is my go-to because it does NOT fill me up. So, when my appetite is normal/high I need to stay far far away.
  • ohreally00
    ohreally00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta, potatoes, rice. I find starchy foods and sugar to be "addicting" so just easier to give it up. Lost 46 pounds since end of October<<<former WW Online, great program, but need a change to include fitness and clearer nutritional goals versus "points">>>