I cant believe my weight!

Options
So I checked two scales I know it's bad to weigh everyday, but yesterday was the first day I stayed within my 1200 cal's It seem like a lot of weight 211-208. I dont know:/

Replies

• abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a little confused as to your post, that 1200 calories seems like lot of weight?
    If your current weight is 212, 1200 calories seems a bit low IMO but everyone is different. Are you exercising at all??
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    You do lose a lot when you first start and your weight can change, by a few lbs throughout the day anyway. I would only get weighed once a week and always use the same scales.
  • frecks
    frecks Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    if you find you are exercising and putting weight on it may be because your muscles are building up as muscle is heavier than fat x
  • diamondigrl
    Options
    1200- is what my daily calorie intake should be. But I know weighing daily is bad so I'm going to make tuesday my weigh in day since tht was when I joined this site. I thought 1200 cal's sounded low but I just went with it!
  • diamondigrl
    Options
    No I have not hit the gym in three weeks:(
  • abricklin
    Options
    if you find you are exercising and putting weight on it may be because your muscles are building up as muscle is heavier than fat x

oh here we go again.
    a. it takes a LONG time for muscles to build, especially for women, WEEKS, and TONS of lifting, its hard to gain weight from muscle
    b. muscle IS NOT HEAVIER THAN FAT. It is more dense, so 1 lb of muscle will take up less room than 1 lb of fat. For someone to replace 2 lbs of fat with 3 lbs of muscle (so be smaller but weigh more) would take an incredible amount of exercise, lifting, and super lean eating.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Does sound low, mines about 1400 and I am currently 171lbs. Are you really small?
  • abricklin
    Options
    Unless you are set to lose like 2-3 lbs per week, 1200 seems really low. At 212 lbs, the estimate for maintenance is 2100 calories, give or take. To lose 1 lb per week you should be eating 1600 calories, for 1.5 lbs per week, 1350. Make your diary public so we can give you pointers. Its a lot about WHAT you spend your 1200 calories on too.
  • diamondigrl
    Options
    No im 5ft 8!
  • diamondigrl
    Options
    How do I make it not private I thought it was opened!
  • abricklin
    Options
    How do I make it not private I thought it was opened!
    go to my home, settings, then diary.
  • tina_011794
    Options
    I really like this sight for determining my caloric intake:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

But way to go. Diet is typically 60% or more for most people, to loose weight. If you are now controlling this, at your weight, you may have 2 - 3 big weeks, then slow way down. Just enjoy it and add some time working out to excel it!!
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    1200 calories does seem low, but that is what I'm suppose to eat per day. I do eat 1/2 of my exercise calories and sometimes more, but I try never to go over my calories for the day. I'm only 5 ft 5 inches and weigh 180. I just exercise more if I need to eat more. Drink your 8 glasses of water. I usually can only drink about 7. Warning....you can drink too much water...please research this. Hint: if you find that you are hungry throughout the day include higher protein snacks...they fill you up.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is the minimum daily intake as this is what your body uses just sitting around and breathing! My aim is just over 1400 but will give myself a break when I work out as I know my muscles need the extra fuel (I haven't been eating them up til now). Be careful about what you're eating but it may be worth revisiting the cal allowance thing to make sure you entered everything right (can't believe anyone would have to live on the basic daily cal intake!)
  • Kicking
    Kicking Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am currently 165LBs and I'm 5ft10". I am set to eat 1200 calories a day I need to get back to my prepregnancy weight of 147.
  • thebamboophoenix
    thebamboophoenix Posts: 58 Member
    Options

oh here we go again.
    a. it takes a LONG time for muscles to build, especially for women, WEEKS, and TONS of lifting, its hard to gain weight from muscle
    b. muscle IS NOT HEAVIER THAN FAT. It is more dense, so 1 lb of muscle will take up less room than 1 lb of fat. For someone to replace 2 lbs of fat with 3 lbs of muscle (so be smaller but weigh more) would take an incredible amount of exercise, lifting, and super lean eating.

Thanks for explaining that!! I've always thought it was a bit of an urban legend type statement....
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    3lb loss is not abnormal if it's been awhile since you tried to lose weight, especially if you're upping your water intake.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that everyone else has their losses & activity levels set up differently. I'm 5'7", 191lbs. I input into MFP that I am sedentary (I honestly am, I work a 40hr week desk job and my only activity is when I work out), and that I would like to lose 2lbs a week. MFP set me at 1200 cals and states "If you follow this plan...Your projected weigh loss is: 1.6 lbs/week". If I eat my 1200 calories + part of my exercise calories, I'm actually losing less than that a week. So the fact that the OP is set to 1200 is not abnormal.
  • abricklin
    Options
    3lb loss is not abnormal if it's been awhile since you tried to lose weight, especially if you're upping your water intake.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that everyone else has their losses & activity levels set up differently. I'm 5'7", 191lbs. I input into MFP that I am sedentary (I honestly am, I work a 40hr week desk job and my only activity is when I work out), and that I would like to lose 2lbs a week. MFP set me at 1200 cals and states "If you follow this plan...Your projected weigh loss is: 1.6 lbs/week". If I eat my 1200 calories + part of my exercise calories, I'm actually losing less than that a week. So the fact that the OP is set to 1200 is not abnormal.

while perhaps in reality you eating some of your exercise calories results in less than 1.6 lbs loss, if you are earning 300 and eating 200 back, you should be losing MORE than 1.6 lbs a week because you are creating an EXTRA deficit. If MFP sets you at 1200, that is the deficit you need for 1.6 loss a week. If you eat back 100% of your exercise calories, in THEORY, you should lose 1.6 lbs a week. Math and reality are not alike :)
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    while perhaps in reality you eating some of your exercise calories results in less than 1.6 lbs loss, if you are earning 300 and eating 200 back, you should be losing MORE than 1.6 lbs a week because you are creating an EXTRA deficit. If MFP sets you at 1200, that is the deficit you need for 1.6 loss a week. If you eat back 100% of your exercise calories, in THEORY, you should lose 1.6 lbs a week. Math and reality are not alike :)

I don't eat all my exercise calories to account for the oils I use to cook & give and take of calories from my HRM, because you never truly know the exact amount of calories you burn, it's all just mathematical guesstimation. Ironically, when I wasn't exercising and only eating the 1200 calories that MFP recommended, I was lucky if I lost 0.5lbs in a week.

Amen to the Math & reality statement.
  • abricklin
    Options

I don't eat all my exercise calories to account for the oils & possible misca

I don't eat all of mine either, all is good.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!