How much is too much ??

Options
I'm insure if my exercise regime is too much as my weight loss has stalled so the whole eating less move more isn't exactly working for me at the moment
I exercise 6 days a week , every day I walk 5.5 miles burning 500 calories I then go to the gym and on alternating days do 40 minutes cardio + 1 hour strength and on the other days 60 mins cardio , these sessions burn a minimum of 500 calories aswell
So 6 days a week I'm burning 1000 calories through exercise
Is this overkill ? I eat 1500 calories a day
Should I decrease my exercise or what's yer opinions on this ?

Replies

• mayhem991
    mayhem991 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't decrease your excercise. It serves many purposes beside just weight loss.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It might be overkill on the hours your putting in if it's not something you enjoy. You should be able to get a highly effective workout in in about an hour if you up your intensity. However, if you enjoy the exercise you are doing, and you have the time for it, and you aren't suffering injury or burn out, then you are fine. It's fine to burn 1000 calories a day, but if I burn 1000 calories or more a day, I don't eat under 1800 or I will start getting weak within 2-3 days. If you don't notice a run down feeling, and markedly decreased strength, you're probably okay.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options

So will I just stick to what I'm doing and hopefully results will come sooner rather than later
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I hope you mean you NET 1500 calories--otherwise, if you're eating 1500 and exercising off 1000, you're leaving your body only 500 to perform its necessary functions: cell repair, brain activity, hair and nail growth, digestion, circulation, etc. That is not enough and will mess you up if you continue (slower metabolism, brittle hair and nails, lack of energy, muscle loss).

If you're netting 1500 and have plenty of energy, are sleeping well, and don't have any persistent aches and pains, then you're probably fine with what you're eating and your activity level. One day of rest is fine for many people--others do better with two or more depending on fitness level, age, and/or genetics.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    It might be overkill on the hours your putting in if it's not something you enjoy. You should be able to get a highly effective workout in in about an hour if you up your intensity. However, if you enjoy the exercise you are doing, and you have the time for it, and you aren't suffering injury or burn out, then you are fine. It's fine to burn 1000 calories a day, but if I burn 1000 calories or more a day, I don't eat under 1800 or I will start getting weak within 2-3 days. If you don't notice a run down feeling, and markedly decreased strength, you're probably okay.

I can't say I love the gym I just do it because I want results ! I have the time at the moment but that will change in the coming months because I am moving city so I know I won't be able to keep up as many workouts with work ! People have said to me I'm on ED territory netting 500 calories a day but I feel fine on the most part I do have increased hunger but that's prob normal considering I'm exercising alot more I wouldn't say I'm run down tho but I have been only doing this for one month so far
  • kristendube
    kristendube Posts: 37
    Options
    I hope you mean you NET 1500 calories--otherwise, if you're eating 1500 and exercising off 1000, you're leaving your body only 500 to perform its necessary functions: cell repair, brain activity, hair and nail growth, digestion, circulation, etc. That is not enough and will mess you up if you continue (slower metabolism, brittle hair and nails, lack of energy, muscle loss).

If you're netting 1500 and have plenty of energy, are sleeping well, and don't have any persistent aches and pains, then you're probably fine with what you're eating and your activity level. One day of rest is fine for many people--others do better with two or more depending on fitness level, age, and/or genetics.

THIS!!!!!
  • RobynLB83
    Options

So will I just stick to what I'm doing and hopefully results will come sooner rather than later

Maybe change the type and/or intensity of the exercise you are doing if you aren't getting the results you want from it. If you get into a routine, your body can become very efficient at it and use less energy doing it, and you can stop seeing changes in your body from it. Whereas, if you switch to something else, or up the intensity, your body might have to build different muscles, or a different kind of muscle tissue, or work harder or in a different way.
  • Dana31601
    Dana31601 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's WAY too little food. I'd either back of the exercise a bit or bump my calories up to probably 2500. Check out In Place of a Road Map on the forums...and gather info about TDEE -20%.

You are sabotaging yourself by only netting 500 calories. Eat MORE!!
  • MACnificence
    Options
    That's WAY too little food. I'd either back of the exercise a bit or bump my calories up to probably 2500. Check out In Place of a Road Map on the forums...and gather info about TDEE -20%.

I worked out my TDEE - 20% and it takes me to 1700 calories so I'm slowly trying to up my calories to that but then one member told me not to go according to my HRM because she doubts i burn 500 calories walking my dog 5.5 miles so now I'm afraid of upping my calories according to my HRM
  • MACnificence
    Options

Maybe change the type and/or intensity of the exercise you are doing if you aren't getting the results you want from it. If you get into a routine, your body can become very efficient at it and use less energy doing it, and you can stop seeing changes in your body from it. Whereas, if you switch to something else, or up the intensity, your body might have to build different muscles, or a different kind of muscle tissue, or work harder or in a different way.

I just started running last week so I was considering that quiet a big change , I'm only going to the gym for one month my body shouldn't be that adjusted to it yet should it ?
  • RobynLB83
    Options

I can't say I love the gym I just do it because I want results ! I have the time at the moment but that will change in the coming months because I am moving city so I know I won't be able to keep up as many workouts with work ! People have said to me I'm on ED territory netting 500 calories a day but I feel fine on the most part I do have increased hunger but that's prob normal considering I'm exercising alot more I wouldn't say I'm run down tho but I have been only doing this for one month so far

Sounds like your are hitting it really hard and fast. If you're female, sorry, results just come slow for us. If you lose .5 - 1lb per week, that's great. Try switching your workouts to HITT. That means high intensity training. You do bursts of intense exercise for shorter periods of time. That means, sprinting instead of jogging, and circuit training instead of ambling around the weight room. You will probably keep the same calorie burn but half your exercise time. Also, 1500 is not sustainable for most active people, so go ahead and start upping it slowly. It's better to up you calories and be patient than burn yourself into the ground trying for fast results and just end up burnt out and frustrated in another month.
  • RobynLB83
    Options

I just started running last week so I was considering that quiet a big change , I'm only going to the gym for one month my body shouldn't be that adjusted to it yet should it ?

No, you shouldn't be adjusting. With the number of hours you were putting in, I just assumed that you'd been training for awhile. Remember also, that when you up your training, your muscles retain water to repair. About 5 lbs for me. That's just temporary water weight. It goes away after a few days of rest. So that could explain why you haven't seen a change on the scale. It's just being offset. Be patient :) Sounds like you're working hard. It'll pay off.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Forget what the scale says, what does the measuring tape say? Is your body fat going down? My scale tells me I've lost 19 pounds. The reality is that I've lost more than that in fat, but I've been building muscle. I know this because my body fat measurement has been dropping steadily, and I've lost three dress sizes, going on four. I've also dropped more than 14" off my waist, hips, and bust.
  • RobynLB83
    Options

I worked out my TDEE - 20% and it takes me to 1700 calories so I'm slowly trying to up my calories to that but then one member told me not to go according to my HRM because she doubts i burn 500 calories walking my dog 5.5 miles so now I'm afraid of upping my calories according to my HRM

1700 calories sounds more reasonable for an active person than 1500, regardless of your exact burns on workouts. You are totally getting hung up on the details. Bottom line, you are doing fine, you just need to be patient with your body. For sure don't push harder than you already are. Calorie burns are always a rough estimate, so never depend on those. Depend on how your body responds. If you don't lose any weight or any inches in another month, then reassess.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    u should be eating well over 2000 cals a day with variance
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    u should be eating well over 2000 cals a day with variance

"Well over 2000" would probably be maintenance. I maintain at about 2400. I'm female, 29, 130, 16%bf, I have daily burns around 1000, and I maintain at around 2400.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Don't measure your results by the scale alone. Your weight can fluctuate as much as ten pounds in a day. For example weigh yourself in the AM and again in the Afternoon and once more before bed. The scale should never be used as a definite measure of health. Look at you overall feeling. Do your clothes fit better? Are you sleeping? Is your stomach screaming all day for more? You may try switching up your routine too. My previous PT says to follow a regime and then after a month do it backwards. Your body will get so used to your routine that it will be too easy for you and you need a challenge. I know you might be tired of hearing the term "muscle confusion" but it really does work and as soon as I am done healing completely from my hip injury I am going back to that and getting my PT back. Good luck and add me if you like so I can keep up to date with how you are doing.
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    Slow and steady is always better imo
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you exercise 1000 cals off and eat only 1500 cals, then you're left with only 500 a day. That is way too little energy, forcing your body to drastically slow down your metabolism and even start breaking down muscle. You need to read up about BMR and TDEE. As a general rule you can't consistently eat below your BMR after you factor in exercise calories.

Eating too little basically triggers your body's survival response, making it hold on to fat for dear life because it thinks it's being starved.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you exercise 1000 cals off and eat only 1500 cals, then you're left with only 500 a day. That is way too little energy, forcing your body to drastically slow down your metabolism and even start breaking down muscle. You need to read up about BMR and TDEE. As a general rule you can't consistently eat below your BMR after you factor in exercise calories.

Eating too little basically triggers your body's survival response, making it hold on to fat for dear life because it thinks it's being starved.
    This. And also remember that your heart is a muscle, so if your body is breaking down muscle for energy, you could damage your heart. And this is not just a myth, it can be shown with lbm calculators. With this much of a deficit, you will lose muscle. You might lose weight, but do you want to lose your lean muscle mass?