Anyone doing Atkins?

Options
At the risk of getting totally flamed, I thought I'd start a thread to see if there is anyone else out there following the Atkins WOE, and would like to join a group of like-minded individuals. I'm on day 2 of induction, and excited to be approaching ketosis. I'm already seeing th benefits of doing low-carb, i.e. less bloating and a general feeling of being in control. If anyone is interested in an Atkins accountability thread, come join me!

Now, that being said, I am aware that there are people on this site who are rabidly against Atkins. I respect that you have a right to your opinion, and I expect you to respect that I am also entitled to mine. I have no interest in any kind of "intervention." Any such posts will be ignored. Any flaming will be reported.

Well, bed is calling me.... Have a great day!

Replies

• mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Don't do Atkins. Do "Belly Fat Cure". Same principles, only healthy!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Did you actually READ the original poster's message? I have nothing against the "belly fat cure"--if that is what you want to follow, be my guest, but just because someone is following a path different from yours does not make that path "unhealthy."

To answer the OP, I have lost successfully on Atkins. Where people make their mistake is after losing, they go back to the way they USED to eat (been there and done that:blushing:) At this time, after losing my first 50 lbs. by calorie watching and eating low fat, and lots of walking, I reached a point where my body refused to cooperate and lose any more weight. Since I was still 50-70 lbs. away from my ideal weight, I decided to take the bull by the horns. I am following the low carb regimen associated with the HCG protocol.

And to all "flamers"--save your fingers and your keyboard. I did a lot of research before taking this step. I have lost 12.5 lbs. in 19 days, and hope to be down at least 25 lbs. in 40 days. That is not quite as much as I was hoping for, but it beats staying where I was.

When I am through with the 40 days on HCG, I will continue to follow low carb, per the protocol to help my body re-adjust. I am not worried about regaining because I have a much different eating program and more active lifestyle than before, so I know I can maintain my loss.

Good luck to Resalyn..:flowerforyou:
  • dmalbrand
    dmalbrand Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been following the basic plan that they tell you to do on here (basically stay under 1200 calories...etc etc) for the past 3 weeks. Im down like 5lbs which to me is getting discouraging because ive been really working my butt off and im not seeing results. SO ive been thinking about doing atkins on top of that. I know when ive done atkins in the past ive been VERY successful with it and see results extremely fast....but im wondering if its going to be more difficult to do 1200 calories with no carbs. anyone doing that????
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    WEAKLINK: First, CONGRATULATIONS on such great weightloss! And thank you for taking the time to post about your decision to change to a more low-carb WOE. Over the last three years, I have tried several different methods, some mainstream, some not. Some low-carb/low-fat, some not. I can honestly say that I feel the best, less bloated and more energetic, while living a low-carb whole-foods lifestyle. I have accepted the reality that all of my dieting and yo-yoing have created a metabolic moster that is going to take some time and hard work to slay. My poor metabolism is just so messed up and confused! I keep losing the same 10 pounds over and over again - and then when I get to a plateau that lasts weeks or months on end, I get discouraged and go back to old eating habits that consist of mostly high caloric processed foods you buy in the frozen section at Wal-mart - or at your local drive thru. Of course, that leads to weight gain, mental recriminations, lethargy, and an overall sense of failure. I know there are others out there who have experienced this!

DMALBRAND: I have done low-carb/low-fat off and on over those three years, keeping my calories below 1200 on a daily basis - and it honestly worked for me at first. I dropped like 40 pounds initially - but I was never able to sustain it, for the reasons I outline above in my answer to Weaklink. It was really hard to stay low-fat and low-carb, but once I was in ketosis, I really wasn't hungry, I'll give you that! But after that initial attempt at that method, I never achieved that kind of success again - I know that there is some discussion that "starvation mode" is a myth, but I'm not sure that's true - because it seems when I keep my calories 1200 or below, or even 1400 and below, I just stopped losing........period. I would go weeks without losing a darn thing!

So enter a show I saw on fitTV (I think it was fitTV) - Blaine's Low Carb. Here is a man who was in the past by profession a cook/chef - and he's lost tons of weight following a low-carb lifestyle. Each week on his show he makes 2-3 low-carb items, and he weighs in every week - he's losing on average 1-2 pounds a week. That sounds healthy to me! And I've tried cooking some of his recipes, and they are to DIE FOR, don't seem low-carb at all!

Then enter a new Atkins Book - New Atkins for a New You. I had tried Atkins in the past, but could never get through Induction. I mean NEVER got through the first two weeks. My dad lost 70 pounds on Atkins and kept it off for years, until he got Parkinsons and was not longer able to work out like he used to.

I read this new book, and discovered something - the last time I did Atkins, I did it WRONG. It is not a license to eat unlimited amounts of high-fat protein like bacon, sausage, eggs.... The change to the plan says this - on Induction, eat 20 net carbs a day - but 12-15 of those net carbs must come from vegetables! And women should eat only 4-6 oz of protein per meal. It's okay to eat bacon and eggs if you want, and the plan still prefers real butter and cream over processed margarine and regular dairy - but the key is MODERATION, WHOLE FOODS, and VEGETABLES.

So I've decided to give it a try again. I'm starting day 3, and I've lost 2 pounds. As you both know, the first couple weeks show great losses, but I'm sure it'll taper off to 1-2 pounds a week, which is within the healthy range. My plan is to come here every day and post for accountability to myself - and anyone else who wants to join me. It'll be a place to share triumphs, mourn lost battles, and provide encouragement to pick up and get back on track when someone falls off their wagon - whatever that LC wagon may be........
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Oh yeah, and WEAKLINK - love your profile and ticker pics! We had a Shih-Tzu for 8 years, he was a tan and white just like yours - but we lost him last fall to kidney disease. My parents have two, a tan/white boy and a dark brown/white girl - named Mickey and Molly. Aren't they just the best? :happy:
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    - but the key is MODERATION, WHOLE FOODS, and VEGETABLES.

Isn't this just sensible eating though.
  • Hockey_Mom
    Options
    I, too, have had success in the past with low-carb, and now I am at it again. I do not have an Atkins book, but I do have the South Beach Diet book, and I think the Atkins is similar to the first phase of Atkins. What I love about the low carb thing is that it is super easy to remember what you can eat because it really makes sense. Whole, unprocessed food without a lot of added sugar, etc. I am always very busy and wind up eating out alot, and when I can't find something low carb on the menu, it is easy to ask for exactly what I need. And with this website now, it will be easier to track my overall intake and not go overboard with fats and proteins, like Resalyn said. To me, low carb does mean eating sensibly like pickledlilly said. Having the "low carb" label just helps to give me a mind frame in which to choose my food more wisely. So, if there is an Atkins group on this site here somewhere, I will go to my nearest bookstore and jump on the bandwagon :D
  • Resalyn
    Options
    - but the key is MODERATION, WHOLE FOODS, and VEGETABLES.

Isn't this just sensible eating though.

It IS a sensible way of eating, and it works for me and millions of people......... :smile:
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Hockey_Mom - good idea, one I just acted upon. I created a thread called Group LLC (Livin Low Carb) - August 2010. Come on over and join in the discussion!
  • Hockey_Mom
    Options
    Thanks, Resalyn...will do!
  • desireebutts
    Options
    I know that you don't want to hear negative things. But it is very detrimental to your health. My cousin recently did Atkins... and she actually ended up with Liver problems after doing it for only a few months. Just something to think about. South Beach is a great alternative
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I know that you don't want to hear negative things. But it is very detrimental to your health. My cousin recently did Atkins... and she actually ended up with Liver problems after doing it for only a few months. Just something to think about. South Beach is a great alternative

Desiree,

Thank you for your input, done in a diplomatic non-judgmental way. I am sorry your cousin had liver problems. There can be many underlying reasons why they came out while they was doing low carb, but in all the years I have been following health and nutrition and weight loss info online, I have never seen any research or medical opinion that states Atkins can cause liver damage.

South Beach is another version of low carb eating, and many people swear by it. It has many similarites to Atkins.

BTW, Resalyn.

I also lost my cream and tan "fur baby" (in ticker) to Cancer. Can't believe it will be two years in another week since it happened. I still have the Lhasa that is my avatar, and in my profile, are pictures of the black Shih tzu that I received as a Christmas present in 2008--from the same people whom I originally purchased my first Shih tzu. I also have a 14 year old Yorkshire "Terror" as of last October. He joined my "zoo" after his momma passed away. He is my shadow, and thanks to his propensity for creative ways to get a human foods, my collective canine herd is known as "The Three Little Pigs." :laugh: :laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I agree with the other poster. Just because it is different doesn't make it unhealthy.

Have you read any of the Atkins books? If you have, I know for a fact you wouldn't have made the above mentioned statement.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

South Beach is NO different from Atkins. Have you read either book? If you had read both books, you would know they are virtually the same plan.

It is not detrimental to anyone's health. My health got better after starting Atkins. If your cousin was doing a low carb plan, it wasn't Atkins.

So don't say it was something it was not.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I've been following the basic plan that they tell you to do on here (basically stay under 1200 calories...etc etc) for the past 3 weeks. Im down like 5lbs which to me is getting discouraging because ive been really working my butt off and im not seeing results. SO ive been thinking about doing atkins on top of that. I know when ive done atkins in the past ive been VERY successful with it and see results extremely fast....but im wondering if its going to be more difficult to do 1200 calories with no carbs. anyone doing that????

Atkins isn't a NO carb plan.............YOU eat plenty of carbs in the form of veggies for the first 2 weeks, then start adding back in higher carb vegetables, fruits, nuts, dairy, grains, etc...............

If you want a NO carb plan - go to the Zeroing in on Health website and read up on what a NO carb plan is. It is basically fat, protein and water............not even tea or coffee because they have trace amounts of carbs too.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    To the OP, I feel for you girl on the comments that are getting ready to flood this thread. I am getting upset for you already.

People won't even read the books, they hear a couple of snippets from the media and just run with it...............Makes me want to just puke. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :laugh:

You know I followed Atkins before, but now I have switched over to Primal Blue Print, which is similar but a bit more strict............

I love eating low carb. It is easy to do and very satisfying and filling. Being able to eat fats liberally makes the food more tasty too.

Good luck on your new endeavor. If you ever need tips, hints, or recipes please feel free to message me!!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Here is one of the pizza recipes I have used in the past and it is AMAZING!!!

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower**
    1 egg
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2tsp fennel
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley

pizza or alfredo sauce
    toppings
    mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted.
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Desiree - thanks for the concern, I do appreciate it. I also have not heard of Atkins or any other LC causing liver problems. A really really high-protein diet can cause kidney problems in someone who already has kidney dysfunction, though, and many people have unfortunately found out! I am so sorry your aunt ended up with liver problems, and hope she doesn't have any lingering effects....

Lioness - good to see you, and thanks ma'am, for the support! My only desire in this is to find the support of like-minded individuals, not start an all-out war as I've seen in the past. I do my best to be nonjudgemental of anyone else's choices - not my business! I hope others can do the same.... I'm glad you're still doing well on the Primal!

Weaklink - y'know, my Tanner (my tan/white) was a rescue - and they insisted he was a pure-bred Shih-Tzu, but he honestly looked like a cross between my parents' Shih-Tzu and your Llasa. He was much bigger than a typical Shih (15 pounds) and his body was a lot longer. I'm convinced now he had some Llasa in him too! Aren't furbabies the greatest? We have a black lab/shepherd mix named Brego, and after Tanner died, we just couldn't add another Shih at that point, the wound was too fresh. We as family decided on a miniature Australian Shepherd - he's about a year old and about 10 pounds - and is a little firecracker named Beau - small in stature, but big big BIG on personality! And oh man, smart as a whip - sometimes TOO smart if you know what I mean, LOL! Gotta love'em!
  • MrsNeuman
    Options
    I'm glad you started this! It really is a diet "revolution" because it goes against all other supposedly "healthy balanced" diets. I love it! So scientific and makes total sense, I've done it and it WORKS.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this recipe!! I can't wait to try it. =]
    Here is one of the pizza recipes I have used in the past and it is AMAZING!!!

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower**
    1 egg
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2tsp fennel
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley

pizza or alfredo sauce
    toppings
    mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted.