Survival tips for Memorial Day

Options
Hi everyone! I am new to MFP, and of course choose a holiday week to kick things off :smile: I have two family parties to attend today, and was wondering if anyone had any strategies to get through the food extravaganza I know I will be walking into today. Thanks!

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy yourself, but try not to go overboard! Meaning, one hamburger or hot dog, not both. Small scoop of potato salad or cole slaw instead... Have fun!
  • suzbaru
    suzbaru Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Drink water ahead of time, before eating and throughout the day. You tummy will feel fuller before eating and you will stay hydrated.

Fix a plate of food, do not graze.

Don't beat yourself up if you indulge. It's one day, not the end of the world. Also, make sure to log the food and don't cheat yourself into thinking, "Oh, it was 2 cookies", when it was actually 3-4. Be honest with yourself.

Workout more tomorrow.

HAVE FUN!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If your family are anything like some of mine this might help. Take a very small serving of everything. Nobody is offended, then only eat the things you like and quietly feed Aunt Helga's special "crunchy" potato salad to the dog. Seriously though, I take a Tbsp or two of everything that looks good. That way I can try everything. If it's not something I'm particularly fond of I stop after one bite. If I really like it I'll get a bit more...and possibly get the recipe so I can recreate it later/know the calories.
  • lesgiam
    lesgiam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll give those a try.