Bananas - to eat or not

Options
yvonnej1
yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
When I joined MFP I was shocked to find out how many calories and how much sugar in a banana so I stopped eating them. However I have noticed on a couple of other threads that some members say not to worry about sugar in fruits as it is not so bad as processed sugar. Now I've reached maintenance I often have calories to spare, a banana would make a good snack but I am really unsure of reintroducing them because of the sugar. I eat quite a bit of fruit most days anyway (mainly berries) and if I added a banana in I know I would go way over. There must be some limit where too much sugar from fruit is bad.
I always eat my bananas when they are just turned yellow, I can't stand them when they are any riper and hence sweeter. I was wondering if anyone knew the difference in sugar levels of bananas depending on how ripe they are?

Replies

• dougsheldon
    Options
    Bananas are actually the perfect thing to eat after a workout because that is when your body needs carbs and sugar. I don't worry too much about eating fruit though. I say as long as you stay away from cake and candy and all that garbage with added sugar in it you'll be fine.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Well, the sugar in fruits IS the same as processed sugar. The difference is the sugar in fruits comes packed with lots of nutrients as well (unlike the sugar in cookies & cake & candy).

I had half of a banana with breakfast this morning. They're totally delicious and they *are* a pretty healthy food, relatively speaking. But bananas, like everything, should be enjoyed in moderation.
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bananas are to be eaten! I eat a small banana every now and then. The hubby suggests eating 1 small banana BEFORE a run or intense cardio workout!! :bigsmile:
  • Hibpshman1
    Options
    There is a right time to eat a banana. Eaten too green they are mostly starch and don't give us the benefit we are looking for. Eat them when they just start to get fully ripe, right before or when they get spots.

The potassium in bananas is fantastic for feeding lean muscle mass and a great snack between meals since it isn't all juice. If you use a banana between meals to curb your appetite you won't be overly hungry at the next meal time and your glucose levels will be more constant through the day.

EAT BANANAS! They come in their own wrapper and require no cooking...if only we can stay away from those processed foods!
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a good thing to eat.. you must look at it as all the nutrition you are getting in bananas actually any fruit. It's all natural sugar and your body is going to burn and process that natural sugar better then if you ate a piece of cake with processed unnatural sugar and crap in it.. you'll be fine. I'm type 2 diabetic and I have a banana everyday with breakfast just before my workouts. And it don't screw up my A1C .. I say don't worry about it..
  • desireebutts
    Options
    :smile: EAT! EAT! EAT!!! It's full of vitamins and minerals to help you naturally! Yes there are carbs etc. but they are good carbs and sugars for you!
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    Do not skip the powers of the banana LOL Seriously, they are amazing! Read up on their level of nutrition and how they are aiding in the fight of disease and sleep apnea. I actually eat a banana before I go to bed because they call it "a sleeping pill in a peel" and it is true. So forget about the sugar since the good outweighs the bad to this tropical treat!
  • dougsheldon
    Options
    Well, the sugar in fruits IS the same as processed sugar. The difference is the sugar in fruits comes packed with lots of nutrients as well (unlike the sugar in cookies & cake & candy).

I had half of a banana with breakfast this morning. They're totally delicious and they *are* a pretty healthy food, relatively speaking. But bananas, like everything, should be enjoyed in moderation.

Not exactly true. The sugar in fruit is called fructose. It IS a simple carbohydrate that digests quickly but for people with active lifestyles, it's not that big of a concern.
    Refined sugar on the other hand can actually drain the body of vitamins and minerals
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bananas! They are one of my dietary stapes along with peanut butter, spinach and avocados. It is worth making room for them in your daily sugar rations. They provide carbs, fiber and potassium! My recent love is a ripe banana blended with part of an avocado, a bunch of spinach, and a little sweet fruit like strawberries.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I eat them most days as I love them and I've lost over 50lbs x
  • millieq
    millieq Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Yvonne,

Check out this website, and it should help you on your decision about bananas. http://www.healthynewage.com/fine-gifts.htm

I just googled it for you.

I personally eat small bananas, when they are all yellow, because as you I do not like it with any black spots.

Good luck,
    Sheryl:smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Not exactly true. The sugar in fruit is called fructose. It IS a simple carbohydrate that digests quickly but for people with active lifestyles, it's not that big of a concern.
    Refined sugar on the other hand can actually drain the body of vitamins and minerals

You can sweeten lots of "processed" stuff by adding fructose and glucose just as you would add sucrose (HFCS, anyone?). :wink: And sucrose (table sugar) is actually made up of glucose and fructose ("fruit sugar" -- which isn't a wildly accurate term). Bananas actually contain glucose, fructose, AND sucrose. So, it really is the same and that's why emphasizing moderation is key. I wasn't trying to insinuate you shouldn't eat fruit because of the sugar content (though many people would). I love fruit! :tongue:

My very limited understanding is the riper the banana is, the higher the actual sucrose content (because starches in the banana break down to become sucrose & that's why the banana gets sweeter as it ripens). The same thing happens in melons, I think. Again, I have a very limited understanding (if that :laugh:).

I don't mean to turn this into another thread about sugar. EAT BANANAS! :laugh:
  • Candyogirl
    Options
    Here is a little info. I found out the health benefits: Cardiovascular Protection from Potassium and Fiber

Bananas are one of our best sources of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. Since the average banana contains a whopping 467 mg of potassium and only 1 mg of sodium, a banana a day may help to prevent high blood pressure and protect against atherosclerosis.

The effectiveness of potassium-rich foods such as bananas in lowering blood pressure has been demonstrated by a number of studies. For example, researchers tracked over 40,000 American male health professionals over four years to determine the effects of diet on blood pressure. Men who ate diets higher in potassium-rich foods, as well as foods high in magnesium and cereal fiber, had a substantially reduced risk of stroke.
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    Bananas are actually the perfect thing to eat after a workout because that is when your body needs carbs and sugar. I don't worry too much about eating fruit though. I say as long as you stay away from cake and candy and all that garbage with added sugar in it you'll be fine.

I second that. I eat a banana for breakfast if I'm going to run in the morning so I have the energy my body will need. I also always eat fruit after a run for the simple carbs my body needs.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

Your right...there are 3 sugar sources...fructose as mentions above...breaks down easy for instand energy and the the sugars found in refined sugars is sucrose...milk products contain lactose
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - Guess what I just packed up to take to work tomorrow as part of lunch?....Yep a banana :happy:
    Actually the snacking thing and processed sugars isn't too much of a problem for me, turned my diet around apart from the occasional treat when I joined MFP. I find I stay full thanks to eating more complex carbs and veggies. I will especially consider eating a banana before or after a workout, I knew they were good because of the potassium and won't be put off anymore because of the sugar.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana EVERY single day. It's my favorite post workout snack while I make my *real* breakfast!! :bigsmile: I take one to the gym with me or to the pool and eat it as soon as I'm done working out or out of the pool. The potassium is awesome and keeps me from getting leg cramps (sometimes happens when I swim!).

You can change your sugar settings here at MFP, I think it's very low for people that eat fruit. I don't eat refined sugars, so my sugars come mainly from fruit and dairy. HTH!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I will often eat a banana if I am really, really hungry but there is quite a long time to go to my next meal.

Below is an excerpt from the net regarding sugar in fruit - I stopped tracking my sugar, two oranges were taking it way over.
    Myth or Truth? Sugar from fruit or cake is all the same to your body

Truth! But ... fruit is still better. Yes, your body treats the natural sugar in foods like fruit and milk the same way it treats sugar from candy, meaning that it breaks it down to glucose for fuel and stores the excess as fat. But sugar from fruit gets absorbed slowly, while that from cake and other simple sugars increases your blood sugar to levels that cause arteries to age. Plus, natural sugar is packaged in good-for-you foods, so it brings important vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals along with it. And nature usually delivers sugar in small doses (3 teaspoons in an 8-ounce glass of milk versus 8 teaspoons in a can of cola). Also consider the fact that you usually don't inhale mammoth portions of, say, apples the same way you might tear into a pint of ice cream.

I love the bit where it says "nature usually delivers sugar in small doses" - cute! :flowerforyou:
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    There are no nutrients in bananas that aren't found in abundance of other foods. Spinach has almost twice as much potassium as a banana. Bell peppers have FIVE times as much vitamin C.

Eat bananas, but as one poster said: in moderation.

ANY food that has 30+ grams of sugar (like a banana) should be eaten in moderation. Canteloupe and oranges offer similar nutrients for less calories, less sugar, and less impact on your blood sugar.

The only time I eat a banana (1/2 medium) is as part of my post workout nutrition.
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you will never see a monkey with a cramp.