6 Weeks Biggest Loser At Work Embarrassed

Options
So I work for JCPenney, and starting next Monday we are doing a biggest loser competition at work. It costs a buck a week, for 6 weeks and the person who loses the most gets the money or double the amount in a JCP gift card! So far, me and 26 other people are signed up. Including my boss, the store manager, and my soon to be new boss (If I get this promotion).I am really nervous. Everyone I work with knows this is a big deal to me (as they like to joke in a fun way about my 50 oz water bottle I carry EVERYWHERE), and my boss is joining the site tonight (shhh didn't give her my scn lol). I don't know if I want my weight posted for everyone to know at work. I'm down 50 lbs (4 since I joined this site), but still 219 is alot.. I want to do this and money is my biggest motivator.. so how do I get past the embarrassment

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your success!!!!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have done the Biggest Loser at work before and I won! (That was when I lost the weight from my first baby about two years ago) I was one of the heaviest people I think I started at like 263 - I lost 65 lbs!!!! Money is a huge motivation :) The only person who saw our actual weight though was the nurse (I'm a teacher) so I only had to be embarrased about one person. If your competition is like ours everyone is super nice and helpful and competitive - which is also a huge motivator. Yes I was embarrased when we started, but a few weeks into it and no one even cared what you weighed to begin with - just about the number you put up for the week. Good Luck - Stay Focused and WIN!!!!!!
  • ileyn
    ileyn Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in a similar contest at work and we end round one tomorrow. As one of the top ten losers I will have my stats announced. I started at 416 and am down to 372. I figure everyone knows I'm fat, it's not something I can hide. I'm just proud that I'm trying to be healthy; if someone wants to snicker about it, well they really have some issues of their own. Be proud and 219 is nothing compared to how bad it can get. I think about those folks who are half a ton and have to be cut out of their homes. We are little tinies compared to those poor people.

So jut your chin or chins out and be proud:)
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    You know I started this in January and told all the woman on a birth board I was on, my BFF and my husband my actual weight, I never told anyone that before. And I found that saying it made this whole thing more real for me and motivated me more to loose so I could show them all how much I have actually lost. Everyone else will do it, and its a HUGE motivator, so you can get on that scale in the end and show them how much you have lost.
  • lovingmyjaybird
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My mother, father and my 2 year old lol know my true weight and one of the girls I work with, because she's my diet buddy... I want that gift card!!!! LOL.. Then I can put it up for when I lose the last of it!
  • roxannem
    roxannem Posts: 14
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just be strong and with determination you will succeed. Good luck to you...Roxanne
  • roxannem
    roxannem Posts: 14
    Options
    It is a shame that we all are just trying to better ourselves to feel good about our bodies and selves yet we have to worry about what people think... I guess this is why i love this site that i can come here and see that i am not alone and find friends with warm hearts and encouragement that will help me to succeed...Keep your chin up and be strong i keep telling everyone now it is time for me to listen to my own advise...lol Roxanne
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    I have done biggest loser competitions through work before also. I used to be afraid to tell ppl my weight, think that it would change how i appeared to them. Then i realized that it is just a number and doesnt really mean anything to anyone else. I mean its not like people look at me and they see skinny and then the moment i tell them my wieght, alls they see is fat. Hopefully this makes sense. Again dont worry about it, be proud that your trying to make yourself better. Dont worry about anyone else and what they think.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I mean its not like people look at me and they see skinny and then the moment i tell them my wieght, alls they see is fat.

Exactly! People are rather intelligent - they likely can figure out about how much you weigh by looking at you - putting it up in #s is not anything they don't already know. BUT, not that I try to judge people regularly..., I don't look twice at a heavy person in the gym, but (shame :blushing: being honest here) I may look twice at a heavy person eating a super sized #5 with a sundae at McEDees. Meaning - people won't look at "wow she weighs how much?" but "nice, she's taking responsibility for herself and her health. great job!"
  • lordrahvin
    lordrahvin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The moment I realized I could consistently go to the gym, and give up Cokes and hamburgers as a lifestyle choice, I stopped being ashamed of my weight and my pants size.

I don't plan to keep them very long anyway, and they no longer define me.
  • Evasher
    Evasher Posts: 20
    Options
    No one can make you feel embarrassed unless you let them. Your signficant weight loss has probably motivated many of your co-workers, friends, and family. At the end of the day write down something that you accomplished. Focus on the positive. Though I am trying hard to break the same barrier as you, instead of walking around disappointed at the size I have become, I turned that negative energy into positive and walked in the metropark to help lower my measurements. Good luck with the contest. Everyone will be a winner. You are earning that promotion and are a great communicator.
  • jennpv
    jennpv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm part of a biggest loser competition at work as well. There are over 200 people in ours and the top prize is over $800 cash! When I signed up I KNEW I was going to WIN! I lost 5,3 lbs my first week, which was just about 2% of my body weight. HR sends out the standings at the end of weigh in day. When the first week came out I was #35! The guy leading lost over 7%! So I knew at that point that I wasn't going to win the top prize> However, I'm a very competitive person and the fact that over 200 people can see my percentage loss pushes me even harder.

Good luck in your competition!
  • roxannem
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel... I to am starting the biggest loser at our work and feel the same about my weight. but, if our co-workers are on here too they are in the same boat we are. and we should be proud that we are only trying to better ourselves♥ So chin up and good luck to you well to the both of us! Roxanne
  • minervasp73
    Options
    We are doing the Biggest Loser at work too - and we're all pretty competitive. I think I've probably lost the most weight so far but it's only the beginning of week 2.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have done the biggest loser at work too and my coworker who did the weigh ins was all of 110lbs soaking wet! I was extremely embarassed to weigh in front of her but once I did it wasn't a big deal any more. She kept everything confidential and was very good about it. The first weigh in is the worse and after that it gets better. I recently joined a BL competition with a bunch of friends on FB and the pot is $800 for first place! Damn right money is a huge motivator! I had to take a pic of me on the scale this morning and send it to the moderator......sucked big time but now that it is done and over with it isn't a big deal!
  • sweenah9
    Options
    Whenever I've done The Biggest Loser, since it's an assortment of people in the competition, we do it by percentage loss rather than lbs loss - lbs lost almost doesn't seem fair to me... people are all different shapes & sizes so it's definitely going to vary. Is there one person in charge of it all? If there is, only that one person will know your actual weight - everyone else will just know the percentage loss! Good luck!