should i drink protien shakes?

Options
standoug888
standoug888 Posts: 126 Member
im currently 230 pounds I did weigh 319 when I started..my goal is to mabey loose just 10 more pounds and start tighting up my loose skin ans turn the rest of my fat into muscle im wondering would protein shakes make me gain weight I knw you need protein after you strength train my only fear is if I start drinking them they will put on more weight and I don't want to put on weight

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Just account for it in your calorie intake. Protein powder will not make you gain weight, it's just an efficient way of getting a good amount of protein in. It's often used post-workout to help muscle repair.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    if you want extra protein in your diet then a shake is great, but you get no extra benefit from a shake vs just eating more protein - its just more convenient - I try to hit 200g of protein a day, but with a busy work schedule sometimes its hard - which is why shakes are sometimes a godsend for me.

If you have never lifted before you can definitely start at a calorie deficit and lose weight and gain strength for initial phase while your body adapts - but expect that to slow down rapidly
  • aernest825
    aernest825 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have all the answers, but I can tell you that a lot of the protein shakes have a bunch of stuff in them that isn't particularly good for you. You are supposed to have them as a replacement to a meal/snack, but I really have a hard time keeping satisfied from them. Protein should keep you feeling full, but so will healthy fats (i.e. avocado, olive oil). I find that for me, protein shakes make me feel REALLY full while I am drinking them, but I am still ready to eat an hour later, so I'm better off eating something else. See how they work out for you, just be cognizant of what is in them chemical wise, how much sugar, and how many calories they have.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    im currently 230 pounds I did weigh 319 when I started..my goal is to mabey loose just 10 more pounds and start tighting up my loose skin ans turn the rest of my fat into muscle im wondering would protein shakes make me gain weight I knw you need protein after you strength train my only fear is if I start drinking them they will put on more weight and I don't want to put on weight

Where do I start?

You can't turn fat into muscle. You lose the fat through calorie deficit and strength training, and you gain muscle through caloric surplus and strength training.

The best thing you can do right now, while still losing, is to make sure your protein intake is adequate (most people recommend at least one gram of protein per LBM) and lift weights, to help preserve your muscle mass.

You won't put on weight from drinking protein shakes, if you stay within your calories.

Should you drink protein shakes? That's up to you, if you get your protein from your meals, you don't need to.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

Where do I start?

You can't turn fat into muscle. You lose the fat through calorie deficit and strength training, and you gain muscle through caloric surplus and strength training.

The best thing you can do right now, while still losing, is to make sure your protein intake is adequate (most people recommend at least one gram of protein per LBM) and lift weights, to help preserve your muscle mass.

You won't put on weight from drinking protein shakes, if you stay within your calories.

Should you drink protein shakes? That's up to you, if you get your protein from your meals, you don't need to.

i would agree with this for the most part - but I am living proof that you can build muscle when you are severely overweight and start lifting - if you have never lifted before you will make 'newbie' gains as they are called even at a caloric deficit

but that being said I pretty much agree with everything else
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Where do I start?

i would agree with this for the most part - but I am living proof that you can build muscle when you are severely overweight and start lifting - if you have never lifted before you will make 'newbie' gains as they are called even at a caloric deficit

She didn't say you can't build muscle. She was correcting something that is severely overused "turning fat into muscle" .. it doesn't work like that.
    iulia_maddie gave some great advice!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Where do I start?

Yes, I didn't mention newbie gains. I agree you can gain a small amount of muscle on a deficit when you're just starting out.
  • Schninie
    Schninie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Newbie gains ???????????????? how long does this last for?? I was planning to start something like this in a few months but put off now :(