private profiles

Options

Replies

• 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Mostly privacy. I'd like to be the one selecting who I share with :)
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    My profile is private to keep the klan members away
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I like a bit of anonymity.

Plus, my eating is all over the place and I've seen plenty of judgement around here so would rather not have that open for public viewing.

I leave mine open publicly just in case someone wants to negatively comment on my food choices but I've been told I like a fight so...

In the end, to each their own.
  • bonesofglass
    Options
    I keep switching between private and open.....cant make my mind up yet!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because sharing is caring and I only care to share with those I've deemed my MFP pals. Plus, it helps to keep me from getting reported for my pics.....well, that was until I used an asss picture as my profile shot. Damn prudes!! :laugh:
  • bonesofglass
    Options
    must admit, I'm not at the stage I'd dare an *kitten* shot for my profile........ ;-)
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    must admit, I'm not at the stage I'd dare an *kitten* shot for my profile........ ;-)

It was a progress picture....been doin squats ya know?? :)
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    Mine is friends only & my profile picture is a dog.

I feel like I'm not ready to admit that I'm trying until I've had some success, so I'd rather not share my profile with any real life friends, family, acquaintances, etc... I lost 40 lbs and have been stuck for a very, very long time, unable to figure out the puzzle of how to start losing again. Literally, it's been 2 years since I've lost weight and not gained it back shortly after.

It seems like everyone but me knows what's going to work for me, and often it's really stupid stuff like some miracle weight loss cure you'd see on the Dr. Oz show. Frankly I get sick of hearing it so I keep my efforts at weight loss as something I just don't talk about. Plus, I like to be able to type what I want on the forums without having to censor myself and think "Oh, is this something I want everyone on my Facebook list to know if they're interested enough to poke around in my profile?

ETA I may go back to public again once it's been a while if I continue steadily losing & not regaining. I may even connect to Facebook. I'm a huge proponent of what this site is for and would love to show some fad-dieting, Dr. Oz-loving Yo-yo-ers how it's really done ;)
  • bonesofglass
    Options
    perfectly understandable then! Squats are pretty much the most essential body toning exercise there is.....might as well show the results!

As for the topic itself....I changed my profile from open to friends only after reading through it again.......I think seeing some of the other comments have swayed my opinion too, I've put a lot of information there that I probably wouldnt feel comfortable with people I know reading........but I'm happy for perfect strangers to read? How's that work?
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Mine is private because there are many people I know 'in real life' who I'd prefer not to know my weight or my business.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I started with a public profile but then two people made it necessary to make it private. One was a male who replied to a request for a low cal snack and proceeded to dissect my food intake and make lots of unnecessary unsolicited suggestions criticisms. One was a FR I replied yes to for a female and she went nutsbonkers on me starting on day one culminating with accusations of how I was treating my other FL friends too nicely as compared to her.

So, now I keep my profile "private" if you can call it that with the sheer number of people on my FL combined with my open door policy on shenanigans and TMI.
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've kept mine private for a while now. I wish I felt comfortable leaving it open. At least then people could see my 'send message with FR' note but there's too many pervs on here. I like to choose which pervs see can my pictures :). (not that my pictures are that interesting anyway)
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If a topic of similar nature has already been posted before, I'm not aware of it. Which is why I've posted it. This is for all you guys (mostly ladies I see) with private profiles. Now before you all jump at me and cut my head off, let me first say I'm not judging at all. This is just me being curious, a very normal human trait.

So, why do y'all keep your profiles private? Just a straight to the point question motivated purely by curiosity. Nothing more, nothing less!
    I joined this site to use as a fitness tool, nothing more. Therefore my personal infotmation is nobody's business but my own.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My profile was open but I had this one person on my friends list that I'm (now) convinced was trolling me. Every/any time my food was over (usually by 50-200 cals) they would post really strange comments about how I'm building up my fat stores and I'm not going to be able to lose weight etc.. I thought It was really strange and annoying so just set it to private.

I'm pretty sure it's open again though.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like being mysterious.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    If a topic of similar nature has already been posted before, I'm not aware of it. Which is why I've posted it. This is for all you guys (mostly ladies I see) with private profiles. Now before you all jump at me and cut my head off, let me first say I'm not judging at all. This is just me being curious, a very normal human trait.

So, why do y'all keep your profiles private? Just a straight to the point question motivated purely by curiosity. Nothing more, nothing less!

Most of them don't want others to see their personal motivations, life stories that they put in it etc. Also, many of the active folks on MFP get creeped up and often annoyed too. This keeps that away.

If you have a private profile, the others cannot see your pictures besides the main one. They cannot see who your friends are or the threads you've made. So its a bit of a security. Many girls keep their more revealing pics hidden from non-friends this way and keeps the creepers at bay.

I think its good. The only bad thing about it is folks cannot see messages such "Please add a message to the Friend Request" or "I'm not adding anymore friends" etc.
    Good answer...some very valid points. Profile creeping is often joked about but I imagine like the rest of the internet there are some real CREEPS out there.

Yup, I know a few creepers

l6JwsUL.jpg

Ha!!
  • LuHox
    Options
    I like being mysterious.

And, if my impressions are correct, wearing sweet stilettos.
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I realize that everyone on MFP a mostly strangers to each other, and everyone adding friends tend not to know each other in real life, my profile isn't private, but if you think about it, the bigger picture, any public profile on the internet is available to everyone in the world.

There are lots of trolls/nuisance makers who join this website just to annoy people. I think you are making yourself open to things like that and also if you are posting photos of your actual self, it wouldn't take too much searching to maybe then find your fb or tumblr etc.

And some might just want to get on with logging on their own :)
  • LuHox
    Options
    My profile was open but I had this one person on my friends list that I'm (now) convinced was trolling me. Every/any time my food was over (usually by 50-200 cals) they would post really strange comments about how I'm building up my fat stores and I'm not going to be able to lose weight etc.. I thought It was really strange and annoying so just set it to private.

I'm pretty sure it's open again though.

Ummmm yeaaahhh... rude!
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I like a bit of anonymity.

Plus, my eating is all over the place and I've seen plenty of judgement around here so would rather not have that open for public viewing.

I agree with this statement, I would prefer not to be judged for my diary, but for my successes in consistency and dedication. baby steps....