• PrimaveraEterna007
    Options
    POWER-UP SMOOTHIE
    Make your own smoothie......basic shake instructions

1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 cup almond milk or soy milk
    Up to 2 cups of fruits
    Veggies to taste
    An optional 1-3 tsp fun stuff (chocolate syrup , peanut butter)
    Plus unlimited freebies ( coffee, tea, extracts, spices, zero-cal sweetener, water or ice)

Blend all your Ingredients together and Enjoy!

Note:.....I searched how many tsps or tbs are in a scoop, and they say that scoops come in different sizes.
    I use 3 tbs
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I'm just after a recommendation for the protein powder as most are whey-based (i.e. from milk). I've seen a hemp based one anyone tried this?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4960&MCatID=5&prodid=6048&cid=47

Trying to avoid/cut down on soya due to the concerns over the hormonal effects.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    why are you avoiding dairy?
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have issues with dairy... i will use Plant fusion protein powder...
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    I have (thankfully mild so far) MS and follow a fish and plant-based diet with no diary as I'm convinced there's evidence it helps.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    As a public service announcement I will warn you that the 'chocolate' (sic) flavour H&B soy isolate powder is FOUL BEYOND BELIEF - I've never tried the hemp one but I gather that hemp tastes better than soy anyway.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i have pulsin pea protein and its soooo gross!!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am also dairy-allergic. I use Hemp Protein Powder ( Smart Basics Organic High Fiber Hemp Protein drink mix). It has no odd flavor, mixes well with water based smoothies as well as almond milk based smoothies. For me, the smoothies I make, it works very well. I also add it to my fruit bars without a problem.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Hmm will avoid that then! Thanks ikudbne looks like healthy ingredients at a glance (as far as I know?!). It looks like a pea protein type of hemp is what's on offer dairy free.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am intolerant to cow's milk (I use goat milk for cheese and such), so I have tried several dairy-free protein powders. The yummiest one I found is the Vega Energizing Smoothie. The Tropical Tango flavor is the best (they also have berry, chocolate, and vanilla almond). It mixes up easily with no lumps and tastes light and fresh. It is totaly vegetarian/vegan. Has a ton of good nutrientws, Omega 3s, fiber, digestive enzymes/probiotics, etc.

http://myvega.com/product/energizing-smoothie/
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I have (thankfully mild so far) MS and follow a fish and plant-based diet with no diary as I'm convinced there's evidence it helps.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I try to avoid giving medical related advice on topics like this. Even with research it always makes me sketchy. Neuro problems is one of my weaknesses(not in knowledge but in care for neuro patients)
    Even as I look through pubmed there is no dietary interventions that has been proven to help people. All results are overall inconclusive

Good luck to you...
    My nursing adviser has MS
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love Sun Warrior! I actually just use the natural flavour (because I'm not a fan of the taste of stevia)...mixes great, not grainy texture like I've heard you get with hemp protein!
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As a fellow MSer and as a registered nurse i have adopted what many refer to as an 'anti-inflammatory' type diet after 5 years of reading all i could from all walks of 'informed' nutritionists/neuros/ naturalists/self-proclaimed experts on the web and from talking to fellow professionals in my local in SoCal. I had food sensitivity studies done (blood tests) and it gave me a list of perhaps 10 different common items in foods that increased inflammation in my body specifically . The casein in dairy products was one such culprit. I have never had any food allergies that i was aware of but since following the recommendations of those blood studies i have been relapse free (not symptom free) for a year. Is the diet the reason? Cant say that for certain but at least with foods i have a choice to partake or not. If i were to choose a method from around the web that most closely resembles what i choose to follow it would be Dr Terry Wahls. (not a paid endorser).
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. I try to avoid giving medical related advice on topics like this. Even with research it always makes me sketchy. Neuro problems is one of my weaknesses(not in knowledge but in care for neuro patients)
    Even as I look through pubmed there is no dietary interventions that has been proven to help people. All results are overall inconclusive

Good luck to you...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, will look them all up.

DatMurse, with respect, as you say, you're no expert which is why you shouldn't be declaring there's no evidence! (After 7 years living with MS, you kinda become something of an expert. I know the studies on MS and diet while my neuro really hasn't a clue what I'm talking about). There are studies that show a link between MS and the proteins in dairy. For anyone who had MS and is interested here is my bible http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org. Fascinating how MS is higher in Western countries (McDonald's type cultures) and virtually unheard in places like Japan, Malaysia and sub-Sahara Africa. Swank's study which tracked over 150 MS patients over a 35 year period showed that the daily fat intake in countries correlated with how common MS was. (And yes more researches need to be done, but research funding comes from Big Pharma and there's no profit to be made in diet!)
  • DatMurse
    Options

Good luck to you...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, will look them all up.

DatMurse, with respect, as you say, you're no expert which is why you shouldn't be declaring there's no evidence! (After 7 years living with MS, you kinda become an expert. I know the studies on MS and diet while my neuro really hasn't a clue what I'm talking about). For anyone who had MS and is interested here is my bible http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org). Fascinating how MS is higher in Western countries (McDonald's type cultures) and virtually unheard in places like Japan, Malaysia and sub-Sahara Africa. (And yes more researches need to be done, but research funding comes fom Big Pharma and there's no profit to be made in diet!)

I was talking about clinical trials from dietary interventions there was nothing set. I never said what you were doing didnt work, because everythign is still highly individualized. The MS incidence in western culture, there is alot of belief in regards to food consumption, vitamin D deficiencies, etc.

Big Pharma is not the one who does dietary interventions studies, many of it is funded by the MS donation research etc.

Everyone points at big pharma for everything, but they are not the only organization out there trying to find ways to help/fix the problem

There is a difference between reading off of a website and reading off of clinical trials.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=multiple+sclerosis+diet

Having the disease =/= you are an expert. I have Degenerative Disc Disease and there are many things I am still learning in regards to treatment and maintenance. Things are being studied everyday.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    Saying there is 'nothing set' is misleading. The cause of MS is very, very complex (distance from equator, vitamin d/sunlight, demographics, genetics, virus exposure, diet, theories emerging recently about CCSVI etc etc). So no I'm not saying diet alone is a cause or cure. But it is acknowledged as paying a role for sure, there's plenty of studies to back that up and my MS nurses all agree the people that fair best are those taking steps to follow a low saturated fat diet.

And I have not just read this off a website. I bought Professor Jelinek's book Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis (he's a leading academic and emergency physician with MS himself who has remained relapse free for 13 years) and I have studied it over the past 7 years and I am impressed by his very, very thorough research of THE CLINICAL TRIALS.

Please don't comment on highly complex stuff you don't understand!
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Swank's study which tracked over 150 MS patients over a 35 year period showed that the daily fat intake in countries correlated with how common MS was. (And yes more researches need to be done, but research funding comes from Big Pharma and there's no profit to be made in diet!)
    Correlation does not mean causation.

Again having a disease does not mean you understand the function or causes.
    Not knowing how to read or properly interpret studies is another problem with these forums.
    Ironically it is also associated with lack of vitamin D intake
    Adolescence may be an important etiological period in the development of multiple sclerosis (MS), and studies suggest that adequate vitamin D nutrition is protective. Here, the authors examined whether dietary intake of vitamin D during adolescence decreases the risk of MS in adulthood. In 1986 in the Nurses' Health Study and in 1998 in the Nurses' Health Study II (NHSII), women completed a food frequency questionnaire regarding their dietary intake during adolescence. From this, daily intake of vitamin D was calculated. Adolescent diet was available for 379 incident MS cases confirmed over the combined 44 years of follow-up in both cohorts, and for 67 prevalent cases in the NHSII who had MS at baseline (1989). Cox proportional hazards models were used to calculate relative risk estimates and 95% confidence intervals. Total vitamin D intake during adolescence was not associated with MS risk. Intake of ≥ 400 IU/day of vitamin D from multivitamins was associated with a non-statistically significant reduced risk (RR compared to no intake = 0.73, 95% CI: 0.50-1.07, P = 0.11), whereas intake of whole milk, an important source of dietary vitamin D, was associated with an increased risk. The possibility of opposite effects of vitamin D and milk intake on MS risk should be considered in future studies.
    Low milk intake has a correlation with MS. It opens up possibilities for new studies
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Saying there is 'nothing set' is misleading. The cause of MS is very, very complex (distance from equator, vitamin d/sunlight, demographics, genetics, virus exposure, diet, theories emerging recently about CCSVI etc etc). So no I'm not saying diet alone is a cause or cure. But it is acknowledged as paying a role for sure, there's plenty of studies to back that up and my MS nurses all agree the people that fair best are those taking steps to follow a low saturated fat diet.

And I have not just read this off a website. I bought Professor Jelinek's book Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis (he's a leading academic and emergency physician with MS himself who has remained relapse free for 13 years) and I have studied it over the past 7 years and I am impressed by his very, very thorough research of THE CLINICAL TRIALS.

What clinical trials are you talking about? You were talking about Swank's inconclusive studies and using that as a reason.
    There are no set dietary interventions with people with MS.

Link your clinical studies you studied, I would love to see them.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options
    I know I'm not medically trained, nor are you I take it? But personally having the disease myself means I have carefully read and considered many studies and news stories. And vitamin D - thank you, but I am fully aware, been taking it since first attack in 2006.
  • sugarlips1980
    Options

What clinical trials are you talking about? You were talking about Swank's inconclusive studies and using that as a reason.
    There are no set dietary interventions with people with MS.

Link your clinical studies you studied, I would love to see them.

They are there is Professor Swank and Jelinek's books. Please stop saying there are no set dietary interventions. I am only getting into this with you because I'd hate to see anyone with MS reading this and being misinformed by your posts. Just out of interest, where did you get your PHD in neurology?!