Just found out I'm pregnant again

Options
And we are excited! But I am wondering how this will effect my weight loss and fitness goals? I will be going to see my doctor later in the week but wanted to see what experiences others have had with pregnancy and weight loss? I know most doctors don't advocate weight loss during pregnancy. Is there a healthy way for me to continue to shed pounds still though? I didn't put on much during my last pregnancy- 35 pounds and I dropped it all within 6 weeks but gained it all back after a few months. The idea of waiting 9 months to start losing weight again is kind of depressing after I just really got on the band wagon.

I just started c25k last week and heavy lifting as well. I am wondering if those will both be no-nos while pregnant? I imagine the lifting will be but not sure about continuing to train for a 5k. Also started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred last night. Not sure on that one either.

Oh and if it helps- I am 212 lbs right now at 5' 6". I have been on a deficit of 1200 and eating back exercise calories usually, eating a total of 1400-1500 a day. I have been working out/walking 5-6 times a week.

Anyone have any experiences being pregnant and still getting fit? Or is it just one of those things, where I am going to have to wait?

Replies

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    bump for you

congrats!!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've known people who have stayed the same weight throughout their pregnancy who become pregnant when they were overweight because of exercise. HOWEVER, you will need to up your calories to about 200 over your BMR and consult your doctor about exercise. As long as your heart rate is not faster then the baby's with running you should be ok. Not sure what the deal is with lifting though.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Your dr will have to decide that. For some people, their dr suggests trying to lose weight whilst pregnant but there are a lot of factors that go into it so we can't really say for sure. Whatever happens it will be ok!

ETA: you can do whatever exercises you are used to doing but since you've just started a new fitness routine, your dr might say to wait until after the baby. I'm 26 weeks pregnant and still do p90x and insanity but I was doing them for 9 months prior to getting pregnant.
  • TorrizzleWillSizzle
    TorrizzleWillSizzle Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think just eating healthy and tryin to find healthy alternatives to the cravings will help. I don't think "dieting" is a good idea when your pregnant but definitely try to eat healthy stuff :) CONGRATS!! I can't wait to have another <3
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy. I personally never workout when I was pregnant only because I had so many issues wrong.
    A friend of mine did yoga and walked a lot and drank lots of water and ate well. She didn't snack on really sweet things so that kept her weight down. After she had the baby, in about 8 weeks she had completely lost the weight. This was 21 months ago, and she continues to eat well now with no exercise and is at the weight she was when she got married.

it is possible, but I doubt you can continue the weight lifting.

I am no doctor so please speak with them.

Good Luck!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I've known people who have stayed the same weight throughout their pregnancy who become pregnant when they were overweight because of exercise. HOWEVER, you will need to up your calories to about 200 over your BMR and consult your doctor about exercise. As long as your heart rate is not faster then the baby's with running you should be ok. Not sure what the deal is with lifting though.

It's not 200 over BMR, it's 200 over maintenance.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Talk to your doctor. Mine encouraged me to exercise and eat healthy. But i don't think that a weight loss goal right now is realistic. Just focus on eating well, appropriate exercise, and being healthy. I know it sucks, but you're pregnant, and your weight loss goals should probably wait.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about how you feel during your pregnacy! When I got pregnant with my first child, I was of course, very TIRED for few months, but then started walking on the treadmill almost everyday. Right up until about 8 months or so.......to the point it hurt to much to do it(my son was over 9lbs and 23inches long!). From what I've read,researched, you can lift, but just use lighter weights. you can do yoga, and I'm sure there's a ton of Exercise DVDs out there for during pregnancy! Above all else, listen to your doctor! After I had my son(i had an emergency c section) I hate to wait a bit to start walking again....but I did! BUT, then I got pregnant with my second when my son was only 2 months old! LOL! SOOOOOO......didn't do much exercising, seeing as I had a baby to take care of!
    In short.....you don't have to wait, but don't over due it either! The best thing to do would be to speak with your OB about it! I think you could do the JM 30 Day Shred, but maybe do the modified versions.
    And, Congratulations!!!!!
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Anything you've been doing regularly before the pregnancy is good to keep going.. until you feel that you're straining yourself, and you should find yourself taking it easier towards the end anyway.

Make sure you're talking it over with the doctor and such though. If you have a fair bit to lose, then eating at maintenance (or over if you need to), but never lower is perfectly fine to do.

Only you know your body, so focus on yourself and your baby :D Congrats loads!!!

Editing - you should probably think of making maintenance 16-1700 plus eating exercise cals regardless of pregnancy. With that level of exercise, you're not eating enough calories to fuel the workouts anyway.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I believe at your height and weight, your goal should be to eat nutritiously but aim for as little gain as possible. Doctors recommend no more than 15 lbs gained for overweight pregnancies. I think you will need to bump your calories up a bit because pregnancy does require a lot of work for your body, but I think that if you try to be healthy about it, you will be surprised at how your body redefines itself. You will get a big belly, but you may lose in other places so that when the baby is born you end up lighter than you are now. The most important thing is to remember the health of your baby.

As far as working out, you can continue to run until your belly is too big and it is uncomfortable. You can do resistance/weight training, but I'm not sure about lifting heavy. I would imagine that it would be okay as long as you are not trying to beat any records.
  • piscean6
    piscean6 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have never been pregnant and I dont know about being pregnant, but I know exercise is good for pregnant women. You might not be loosing much in the next 9 months, but you can still continue to put your body in a better shape than you started and after your baby is born you wont have to start over and you can work out easier. Best bet to know for sure is to ask your doctor. Asking people is great too. I hope you find out your answers and have a safe and wonderful pregnancy. Congrats on your baby and continue with your health goals.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Follow a prengnacy diet. Forget about calories. Just eat well during your pregnancy. Don't step on the scale, water weight can make that scale go up like crazy.

You can do low impact exercise during pregnancy. Like walking, swimming, yoga. There's pregnancy Yoga, Pregnancy aquaform, pregnancy pilates. There's tons of fitness classes for expectant moms.

Congrats on your pregnancy.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My third pregnancy, I was getting super healthy, TONS of biking, spinning classes and I kept all that up until seven months along, the kid didn't like it anymore and kept kicking me in the kidneys when I climbed on a bike. My fourth pregnancy, I threw up all the time, and ended up with an extremely high risk pregnancy and three months bed rest. All you can do is your best. Whatever activity you can do, talk to your doctor and of course, do your best with eating.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Well, now isn't the time to lose weight. Talk to your doctor. If you are severely overweight, many will suggest to only gain about 15 lbs during the pregnancy. And exercise is great during pregnancy, so long as you keep it moderate and listen to your body--it'll tell you when to stop.

Good luck with your pregnancy, and congratulations!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Hopefully this will help your perspective on weight gain:

Total recommended weight gain: 25-35 pounds
    Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds

So of all that weight gain, less than ten pounds will be fat! And that's especially easy to shed if you breastfeed your baby.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    After a certain point you will get a suggestion and then told to stop lifting heavy and to either lift light or not at all. Your doctor will make these recommendations based on your pregnancy and health during, so definitely don't stop what you are doing now unless your doctor either tells you or recommends that you stop, slow down or find an alternate exercise.

If I were smart I would have been running and working out during my pregnancy, it would have saved me a lot of grief.
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Probably best to slow down on the weight loss or stop entirely, but if you want to stay active and can't do your normal activities, bellydance and yoga are great options. A friend of mine teaches a mom-to-be bellydance class, and her students swear by it. Not only is it a good low-impact activity you can do throughout your pregnancy, it strengthens the right muscles to make delivery easier. If you can find an instructor in your area, I highly recommend it!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I was about 210 when I got pregnant with my son- I was on WW at the time & my doc said it was OK for me to maintain my weight throughout the 9 months, which I guess technically would be losing. Anyway, go by what your doctor says, not mine...LOL This was just my experience.
  • BayleighPaws
    BayleighPaws Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Hopefully this will help your perspective on weight gain:

So of all that weight gain, less than ten pounds will be fat! And that's especially easy to shed if you breastfeed your baby.

This is all completely true, but keep in mind breastfeeding doesn't guarantee weight loss. For some people (myself included) it can actually make it harder to lose weight (and this can be very, very discouraging.... Especially since majority of information out there says "BF! You will lose weight!!").

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!! I would recommend talking to your doctor about your goals for pregnancy and food. Our doctors office offered prenatal nutrition classes. Our doctor is great and had a ton of recommendations for keeping fit and healthy during pregnancy (though, I followed none of the advice!). I know many women who were able to maintain a safe level of fitness, follow a healthy diet and gain a healthy amount of weight! Your doctor is the best person to talk to, but our area offers prenatal yoga, swimming, walking and other classes. Your doctor can help find a good balance for you, your sweet baby and your health!

Good luck!!