Doing Jillian Michaels and feeling weaker

Options
totem12
totem12 Posts: 194 Member
Hi everyone!

I've been rotating a variety of Jillian Michaels DVD's (30DS, Banish Fat, No more trouble zones and 6 week 6 pack). I started off doing 30DS every day and now do 5 days a week. Have dropped about 11 pounds in the last month and half, and the cardio is getting a million times easier, but the strength moves feel a LOT more difficult than when I started. I only use 1kg weights and often struggle to make it through the reps. Have I overdone it? I wasn't expecting to build muscle but I didn't expect it to get HARDER!

Replies

• eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you have built up a fair amount of cardiovascular endurance, but need to focus a bit more on strength training. Jillian is notorious for lots of cardio, and exercises using body weight for strength. Maybe try incorporating a small amount of additional strength training, and make sure your eating plenty of protein, especially after a workout, so you can build lean muscle, otherwise if your not eating right, while you have greater endurance, your simply breaking down new muscle to fuel your body post workout.
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    are you getting enough protein? I try to eat something light but that has protein after my work out.
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need more protein? I've been doing 30DS for almost 2 months, and I have days when strength is a little harder. Usually when I'm not resting enough or haven't had enough protein the couple days before.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm currently netting about 1400 calories a day, but I don't pay much attention to the amount of protein. Maybe I should start!
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm currently netting about 1400 calories a day, but I don't pay much attention to the amount of protein. Maybe I should start!

Sounds like the general consensus agrees here. Keep us posted. :) I love Greek Yogurt, Chobani has these little mini's called Chobabi Bite that are perfect post workout, only 100 cals. :)
  • noelmarquard
    Options
    I agree!! I have been doing 30Day Shred since November. Sometimes I feel like my muscles are too tight to do the entire rep. I think three minutes of strength is almost too much!! Jillian even starts to shake after a while with some of those strength moves!! No advise, just wanted to say I understand what you are talking about.
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try upping protein particularly after workouts, make sure your having rest days introduce strength training into workouts. Both core and general. Good luck.