Swimsuit?

Options
I'm doing "Mommy and Me" swimming lessons with my daughter this summer. I've NEVER worn a swimsuit before. I've lost 75 pounds and gone from 225 to 150. I'm 5'11 and too tall for most one pieces. What is appropriate to wear to "Mommy and Me" swim lessons?

Replies

• Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think anything you feel comfortable wearing in front of other moms and babes is perfectly alright!

That being said, should you be concerned about modesty, a "tankini" would be perfect!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you've NEVER worn a swimsuit before? ever??

find a nice one piece. i like them, and they're totally in style. if you are unsure of style or whatever, go to an athletic store and find a more work out type of swimsuit by speedo.
  • mraqk
    mraqk Posts: 3
    Options
    Maybe when I was like five. Thanks, I'll look there. I definitely want one with more coverage.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Bikini bottoms and surf rash vest.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous and have done a fantastic job. If you have a difficult time with 1 piece b/c of your height there are lots of modest 2 pieces available where you can't even tell they are 2 pieces. Get one and have a great time with you child.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    In a bigger store, you will find one piece suits designed for taller women, if that's the way you choose to go.
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A tankini is definitely suitable for the activity. It covers enough skin and you will find super cute ones.
  • adrnew
    adrnew Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 5'10 and also find regular suits too small--Try Lands end in a sears store--they sell tankinis with extra coverage for tall people--you can buy top and bottom separate!
  • KP556
    KP556 Posts: 10
    Options
    i think a "tankini" is appropriate, the tank still covers the stomach area , and the bottom comes in different styles. (brief style bottom, short style, and skirt bottom) :smile:
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    I am 5'10 and also find regular suits too small--Try Lands end in a sears store--they sell tankinis with extra coverage for tall people--you can buy top and bottom separate!

Was just gonna say Land's End also has one-piece suits in "long torso" - only brand my 6 foot tall sister could wear!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I used to teach mommie and me classes and the women there wore everything from Bikinis to one pieces. Majority wore tankini's though - and are nice because for the most part you can mix and match so if your bigger on top or bottom you can but so they properly without having to buy the wrong size for one end of your body.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Being 6'1", and having direct experience with this situation... I say that if you are uncomfy in a bikini, then you totally should go for the tankini

You can find a number of ones with a longer waistline, and this will work so much better than the insta wedgie one pieces give women with tall torsos.

You'll be hard pressed to find a one piece that doesn't make the butt cheeks bubble, and give you an overly high waist because they're being stretched way beyond their expected breaking point. (I've been violated by the one piece way too many times).

You can also go with a cute patterned top and a bottom that suits you best. Hell yea to the ability to pick separate tops and bottoms!

*fist bumps* tall women represent!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I vote tankini, because then you don't have to peel the whole thing off to go to the bathroom. Lol
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A lot of competitive swimmers are tall. Go to a swim shop where they sell swimming gear for competitive swimmers (Speedo, TYR, etc), and they will help fit you with a nice suit.

I know this because both of my daughters are competitive swimmers.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I vote tankini!
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    Here's a good long torso swimsuit article I read last week. Cute options do exist!

http://www.xojane.com/clothes/i-looked-at-every-single-long-torso-swimsuit-on-the-internet-so-you-dont-have-to
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I agree that a nice tankini with moderate coverage bottom would be great to both show off your hard work and stay conservative at the same time. You can find long torso one-pieces, but if you don't want to go through the hassle, tankinis are everywhere. I prefer the ones from www.venus.com as you can buy the top and bottom separately (so you can choose a bottom with more or less coverage and even a different color if you wish). Good luck!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you want something modest you can buy surf shorts to go over bikini bottoms and wear a tankini top or a rash vest :) Surf shorts fit loosely like regular shorts so don't cling. I wear a sport style adidas one piece to the gym (nice subdued lighting haha) but when I go on holiday in July and will be wandering around the pool in broad daylight, I think I'll be wearing a tankini or bikini+t-shirt on the top and bikini bottoms + surf shorts :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I also use a wrap that is essentially a swath of super short material that covers my butt and inner thighs for when I am not in the water... I feel much more comfortable walking around in that and don't have to worry about wedgie, thigh jiggle or kids yanking down my bottoms. It feels summery and kind of cute, and would be easy enough to make (only has two velcro pieces)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I really like the two piece suits with the long top and skirt or shorts bottom. I'm not tall, but I have a long waist and it is so much more comfortable! Kohl's and Target sell the separates if you don't want to spend a lot of money.