Need to rethink where I run?? (C25K)

Options
MsStang02
MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
I am two months into this new lifestyle, and my exercise of choice is running. I am very new to it, and I am on the C25K program. I have repeated several weeks, since I have pretty much never ran (except when forced in school). So I have slowly been working on my endurance and progress to the next weeks when I can.
I have been running indoors on a treadmill at the gym. I am starting to progress, and am having to spend less time repeating weeks. It is the end of week 3.
Unfortunately, the gym is closed today. So I decided I did not want to lose a day and wanted to take it outdoors and run my neighborhood. It was significantly different. The heat did not bother me (I live in Florida) as there was a decent breeze. It was so much more difficult to find a good pace, and I felt is was a much harder impact (Yes I realize it is, because it is concrete and not a treadmill), plus the different inclines of the road and sidewalks and the occasional grass. I ended up doing a brisk walk until I got home.
Would it be wise for me to start training outdoors instead of on a treadmill? Obviously when it comes to running a 5k it is going to be outdoors. Since I am gaining strength and endurance, maybe I can start working my way outside??

Thank you for any thoughts or advice you can give me. It is much appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. Treadmills depress me. Having said that, you should run wherever you like. You are RUNNING! :smile:
  • MommaSari
    MommaSari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K and started indoors. I was so nervous to go outdoors because I was afraid of people judging me. I definitely do not look like a runner. I began running, (and started the program over) in a cemetery by my house. It was strangely calming. Outdoors is completely different and it may be easier to "restart" outdoors. I am on Week 8 exercise 3. I haven't been able to go due to weather (I live in WI) but I have been doing other exercises. I am doing the C210K next. Though, the first few weeks incorporates the C25K. You can do it outside, just push yourself, it's harder, but worth it.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I tranisitioned from using a treadmill to running outdoors a few years ago and now I hate using a treadmill.

It's too boring on the treadmill and you never get the sense for how far into it you are. Sure there's numbers on the panel but that doesn't give me the same sense as passing landmarks does.

It is a little harder running outdoors but that's good. It conditions your body.

BTW if you want to have roughly the same amount of resistence on the treadmill as you do running on the pavement try a 2% inline on the treadmill.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I far prefer running outdoors to treadmills--and you're right, if you're going to race on pavement, it's a good idea to get used to running on it. Since you've done virtually all of your running so far on a treadmill, you might want to take some time to transition to outdoors. Like, start with one run a week outdoors, and slowly work up.

Best of luck with your running!
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outdoors. It is a little more challenging. I did train on the tread for a while but when it comes to the 5k's I prefer to run outside. And you are right, way different from running on tread and outside. If you are going to a 5k here shortly I would recommend start running outside when you can
  • MsStang02
    Options
    Thank you so much for the feedback. It is definitely something I have never thought of until now. A lot of good advice. You guys are the best!!! I think I am going to start the transition to outdoors. I did enjoy the scenery much better. Much more to look at.

You all are the best!!:flowerforyou:
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I totally think you should work your way to running outdoors! I love running and I love running outdoors. I think it might be a mental thing with the treadmill - I keep running but go nowhere. I hate it! I can run a couple miles outside, but struggle to run a mile on a treadmill. However, I am currently doing the C25K program too - to increase my speed and endurance since I stopped running due to a surgical procedure - and its on the treadmill. It hasn't bothered me too much, but since I just moved to a new location, I don't have too many places to run outside.

Best of luck to you and you're running - in the end, do what feels comfortable, but don't shy away from new things! You may grow to LOVE it!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd person out. I prefer running indoors. I'm a wimp when it comes to the elements. I've been forcing myself to do a leisurely jog outside that's not recorded for exercise once a week. I'm sure that will stop next weekend when it is supposed to get up to the 90s.
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I started running on a treadmill. I had to cancel my gym membership so I had to run outdoors. That transition is slightly depressing since I use to be able to run mile without stopping on the treadmill but can barely do .25 outside.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a lot more fun. Don't worry about the pace. Heat, hills, and other things all have an effect. Run the program and keep it fairly easy and soon enough you will be running the whole way without a second thought.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer running outdoors instead of on the "dreadmill!"

But, if the weather doesn't cooperate, set the treadmill to an incline when you run. The treadmill takes away the need for you to propel yourself like you do on concrete. Adding an incline will help balance that out.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Outside!!! I run a lot - long distance and I can barely tolerate a mile on the treadmill. I started about 4 years ago (I am now 52) and had never really run. Now I have finished a 50k and aiming for a 50 miler early next year. The point being I NEVER would have stuck with it if I was just running on a treadmill. I would rather run outside at a slower pace and enjoy the journey and go longer then kill it on a treadmill. I am so excited for anyone starting a running program! Good luck!
  • MsStang02
    Options
    Such incredible amounts of inspiration. Thank you SO MUCH for all of the feedback.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I too started C25k about 5 weeks ago. I also live in FL, and am the opposite to you. I love running outside
    , but the heat will soon send me indoors. I'm dreading having to continue on the treadmill, but I know the heat will be too much in a few more weeks:(( My first 5k is not till November so I'll have plenty of time to adjust again to outside.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would advice only to use the treadmill as a last resort.

Stay off the concrete if you can. Its the worse surface for your joints.

If you have a HRM(heart rate monitor), its a pretty good tool to utilize your pace. I use it all the time to gage on how fast I am running. Or rather I hard I am working to go up that hill.

I am pretty die hard 85% of the time and will hit the trails,l go off through the forest, up hills, in & out of creeks, on the beach, into corn fields. I love making my own trails & jumping over or through things..

The only way I know if I am pushing to hard usually is with the HRM.

I usually do at least a 1/2 marathon a week, sometimes I look down and notice, I can step it up a notch, because my heart rate is lower than the pace I run most efficient at.

Happy trails!
  • Theresafinallygetsitright
    Options
    I started inside but MUCH prefer running outside now. I started c25k a year ago and am now using it for sprint intervals to work on my speed. Have fun!!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm very much like you. Never athletic,unless forced, and wouldn't run unless I was being chased by a crazed clown with a meat cleaver. I'm on week 5 of C25K and have only done it on the treadmill. Outside is a completely different animal. I tried to run outside & hit the wall at the 1 minute mark. Its brutal!! My plan is to complete the C25K program on the treadmill, build up some stamina & inprove my breathing ( a big issue with me, i have exercise induced asthma) and then I'll start it over outside. Oh & I've had to redo quite a few runs, infact I'm repeating week 5 until I can get through both 8 minute runs without losing a lung & finally complete the 20 minute run. Best of luck to you!!
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. Treadmills depress me. Having said that, you should run wherever you like. You are RUNNING! :smile:

I agree with this. Running on a treadmill makes me feel like a hamster.

I would suggest running outside more often. It may take some getting used to, but it's MUCH better than running on a treadmill, in my opinion. You'll get accustomed to being able to run anywhere you want! :)
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm very much like you. Never athletic,unless forced, and wouldn't run unless I was being chased by a crazed clown with a meat cleaver. I'm on week 5 of C25K and have only done it on the treadmill. Outside is a completely different animal. I tried to run outside & hit the wall at the 1 minute mark. Its brutal!! My plan is to complete the C25K program on the treadmill, build up some stamina & inprove my breathing ( a big issue with me, i have exercise induced asthma) and then I'll start it over outside. Oh & I've had to redo quite a few runs, infact I'm repeating week 5 until I can get through both 8 minute runs without losing a lung & finally complete the 20 minute run. Best of luck to you!!

Have you talked with a Doc about the Exercise Asthma? I usually use in inhaler - abuterol(sp?) before I start and I usually don't need to use it again even runs that take a couple of hours. Also, if I don't use it I often find I get my breath back after I have run a mile or so and my lungs have "warmed up."
  • joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok you and I are in the same boat going to finish week 3 indoors going to start week 4 out side im on vac june1 so I thought that would be a good time to try an the last time I ran outside was back in high school which was many moons ago lol:laugh: so if I don't fall down or something it should be all good