lower body fitness help please

Options
AleksD3
AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
I have back and hip issues; several protruding discs in my back, a hip that goes out of place often, left leg/hip/back/butt in a lot of pain when it gets thrown out and months and months of PT and chiro every time I throw it out.

For the last year it was actually behaving so I decided to do the squat challenge. And I ended up seriously throwing out my back and hip by day 18. Seriously enough that I have to start PT all over again.

According to my doctor, PT and chiro I am NOT to do squats, lunges, leg raises (like in pilates) and anything like that that could throw my back and hip out again.

So what am I supposed to do to get my lower body into shape?

Any ideas?

Machines on the gym maybe even though I've read that does aren't the best for you?

Please help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Machines on the gym maybe even though I've read that does aren't the best for you?
    The machines are fine. There are some people with certain physiological issues that can't use them. But they all have some degree of efficacy if people are using them correctly. So if your PT/chiro thinks that leg extension, leg curl, abductor/adductor (sp?) will be fine, I would use them. Start with light weight and use good range of motion and nice slow, controlled tempo (like 3-4 seconds per rep, and hold on the contraction for a beat or two). You can do reps with two legs, and then change it up by going with one leg every now and then.

I am sorry about your back problems. I hope that this is of some help. Hopefully, these machines can help in some way - because I'd like to see you overcome this setback. Good luck!
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I will definitely be rejoining the gym now!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Talk to your PT and they should be able to help you with exercises/modifications that ARE good for you that will help your issues