HELP! HCG Diet opinions?

Options
Hi guys,

So my sister has started the HCG diet (about a month ago, I think?). Now she has lost a LOT of weight from it. I'm proud if her for the weight loss and happy for her, however I can't help but be extremely concerned for her.

She only eats 500 calories a day! 500. And then takes little drops to "fill her up" and take away the hunger.

When she started I would say she was around 210/220 and now I think she's 170/180? Not completely sure on the numbers. She's 5'3''.

Anyhow, I'm just worried that when she "finishes" this diet, she'll revert to old habits and put all the weight back on. She claims its a "lifestyle change", but how is she training herself for a lifestyle change by doing a crash diet?

Any words of advice for when she finishes? Etc? Any comments at all. My sister has always been overweight and I can't help but want her to be tiny and feel beautiful.

Please help.

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it to you, but this diet is very unhealthy and is not advocated by anybody here. In fact, any time a thread gets posted with people asking questions about it, it gets locked because MFP does not want to be responsible or advocate unhealthy behaviors.

In this case I hope it's different this time around and I hope they keep the thread up, because you are concerned for the welfare of your sister and are asking for advice on how help guide her in the right direction.

HCG is definitely not a lifestyle change, and is not sustainable long term. It's a crash diet - the reason she's losing weight isn't because of the hormones she's taking - it's because she's eating 500 calories a day!

My advice is to gently be honest with her, and let her know there are better ways to do this. I'm sure she's excited about dropping the weight, but to lose 30 lbs in a month could land her in the hospital. A healthy rate is 0.5 to 2 lbs per week and there are so much better ways to do this that are going to get her to her goal and keep her there long term.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    She'll have to learn the hard way that there are no shortcuts.

I did. My experience with weight loss gimmicks nearly cost me my life -- and I gained back the 121 lbs I'd lost plus 23 more.

Now I'm doing it with exercise and controlling what goes into my mouth.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. But she'll never listen to me, especially with her success.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do a search here on the boards for HCG - there are many many threads with more stories like these - maybe if you share those with her she'll listen?
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's a terrible, terrible diet. I developed so many problems from this diet. The thing it that it is almost like a cult. These people get inside your head and you distrust any doctor, family member or friend who tries to talk sense into you. When you stop, you gain back the weight. I have to eat far less now than before the diet or I gain. I actually went above my starting weight very easily and while watching what I was eating!

If you are interested in my story:
    http://www.squidoo.com/unsafe_hcg_diet

My hope is that it will prevent somebody else from making the mistake I made by doing this diet. And, please, if anybody has had a bad experience with the hCG diet, share it on that page. You don't even have to sign up to comment. If you've been on hCG forums (i.e. Omnitrition's), you know they delete all the negative comments that would talk people out of the diet. You don't get a realistic view of what this diet is from them. I am hoping that my page will help others really see what this diet is capable of doing.

The hCG diet is bad news!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The FDA has made the hcg products illegal:
    http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm
  • xxDearyen
    xxDearyen Posts: 20
    Options
    I did a three month run of it. At 5'0, I went from 110lbs to 90lbs. Gained it all back in a few months and then some.

Not only that, but my measurements weren't that impressive and I felt absolutely horrible that I couldn't do any physical activity. I would almost collapse during cardio sessions and have a ridiculously high heart-rate even though my exertion levels weren't terribly high (Admittedly, you're not supposed to workout during the diet-- but that in itself should raise some red flags).

Doing it properly this time, with weight training, adequate diet and dedication. I'm about 103-105lbs right now, and my body looks better now than it did at the end of my HCG diet.

Don't do it. Just don't do it. Waste of time.
  • Flora_k
    Options
    xxDearyen, has a great point. While I was doing this diet, I watched people lose and even when they lost great amounts of weight, they did not look healthy at all. They still looked flabby. You can't exercise and my doctor said my body was getting it's nutrition from my muscles, including my heart. I think this is the reason so many people become even fatter after this diet. They do some serious long-term damage. It is just not worth it!
  • Shirlls123
    Shirlls123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on this 'diet'. I have a friend on this diet and apart from the fact it is unhealthy and potentially dangerous, it has made her obsessed with dieting and promoted an extremely unhealthy relationship with food. This diet is just starvation and one step away from, if not actually being, an eating disorder. She has lost several stone on it in an alarmingly short period of time, and because she has managed to lose so much weight on it, this diet to her is up there on a pedestal.

Don't get me wrong, she has lost lots of weight and looks good but she is also very pale (probably the malnutrition) and has got so obsessed with diet that she spoke about sucking a softmint and then spitting it out in case the sugar gets into her system, she weighs herself every day, moans about social events as they involve food and drink, and talks about feeling dizzy with not eating as though it is something to be proud of. Try telling her the diet is dangerous, and she won't listen, the previous poster who likened this diet to a cult isn't far off the mark as it is exactly like one when someone gets it in their head.

I hope your sister is ok and sees sense soon as this diet is bad news!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    what she is having isn't success. its temporary insanity. anyone will lose a bunch of weight at first eating 500 cals a day, much less using the icky drops that go with this "diet". It is pretty much a sure thing that she will regain the weight...with bonus weight to go with it.
    There are no quick fixes. There just aren't.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The FDA has made the hcg products illegal:
    http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

I thought this too!

You have every need to be concerned about her. This 'diet' sounds extremely dangerous. The problem will be trying to talk to her about it.You can only keep trying and hopefully, after initially being defensive I would imagine, some of the information may get through to her.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can help her soon!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I did the HCG diet, under the care of a doctor, (amongst other diets) I lost 40 lbs, it was great, but I couldn't sustain it, I was still flabby, not toned, I was exhausted all the time, and miserable. I have gained back 30 lbs of what I lost, and in spite of eating 1500-2000 cals per day (I've tried the numbers that MFP gave me: 1500 cals, and 2000 according to TDEE-20%) all my blood work is normal (I've even been tested for subclinical hypothyroidism) I even had the pod test to determine my metabolism (high). Then went to an RD who took all the information and my history, she said that the problem is that while I have a high metabolism, my system is in conservation mode (kinda like a squirrel storing nuts for winter) it's storing everything it can that it's not using in preparation for me going back to one of those extreme diets when I'm going to starve it again. She said since I'm working out, (which is probably why I haven't gained more) I need to stop eating for weigh loss and start eating for nutrition. She gave me a plan that works out to about 1700 calories a day (depends on how many servings of veggies I have since my directions are 3-4 servings or however many more I can eat per day that I want) and now I have to watch the scale go up until my system decides that I'm not going to starve it again and she said that could take even longer.
    I say don't do it
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I do know people who have had success with it, but they were trying to lose a small amount of weight and were only on the drops for a couple of weeks.

Everyone I know who's lost more than 15 lbs on it has boomeranged hard.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Poor thing
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    She'll learn the hard way like those before her. I don't know a single person that hasn't gained it all back and then some. You can't rationally argue with her current belief that it works because it does work (just not for long). So be there to support her when the bubble bursts.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    Don't get me started on this 'diet'. I have a friend on this diet and apart from the fact it is unhealthy and potentially dangerous, it has made her obsessed with dieting and promoted an extremely unhealthy relationship with food. This diet is just starvation and one step away from, if not actually being, an eating disorder. She has lost several stone on it in an alarmingly short period of time, and because she has managed to lose so much weight on it, this diet to her is up there on a pedestal.

Don't get me wrong, she has lost lots of weight and looks good but she is also very pale (probably the malnutrition) and has got so obsessed with diet that she spoke about sucking a softmint and then spitting it out in case the sugar gets into her system, she weighs herself every day, moans about social events as they involve food and drink, and talks about feeling dizzy with not eating as though it is something to be proud of. Try telling her the diet is dangerous, and she won't listen, the previous poster who likened this diet to a cult isn't far off the mark as it is exactly like one when someone gets it in their head.

I hope your sister is ok and sees sense soon as this diet is bad news!

^This. I believe for a certain type of personality, this diet could have devastating effects on mental health. Malnutrition can also happen if a person has been starving themselves for a long enough period of time, even if they aren't underweight. I don't know much else about this diet except that it seems like a dressed-up crash diet, and they also have very bizarre rules, such as putting lotion on your body will prevent weight loss.
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there isn't anyway of getting people to change their minds about diets like this.. she just has to learn the hard way..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There are lots of females out there who won't smoke, do drugs, engage in risk behavior (like skydiving), put themselves in situations of danger (walk alone at night), and help others ensure they stay same. But when it comes to losing 5lbs to 10lbs, it's like all the stop lights go off and everything is a green light even if it can compromise health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Flora_k
    Options
    You know what I think the worst part of this diet was for me? Everybody doing it is your best friend. They love you. They are supportive. I was doing this diet with another mom I know who lives near me. Once I started having side effects, the love started to dissapate. She had just become a distributor and was pushing me to try other products from this company. I finally told her the side effects were too serious and I had to see a doctor. She hasn't talked to me since. She was so afraid my side effects would affect her sales that she even unfriended me on Facebook. I'm told by other friends that when asked if the diet causes side effects, she denies that she knows anybody who has had side effects on this diet. I'm told also that she is pushing this diet hard now because she really wants the extra money from it. She's willing to sacrifice her family's, friends, and other church member's health.

I've also shared on my blog how women obsessed about taking communion because they were afraid it would cause them to gain. Seriously, if you are gaining from taking communion, wouldn't you see that as a huge red flag? Of course, as the other poster shared, they avoided lotions and other things on the skin too. It's just a lot of bizarre weirdness but, as with all MLM schemes, the people up top that pyramid are rolling in the dough.

Aside from being harmed by the diet, I think I hate more what it does to people who are doing it.
  • valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are not going to convince her to go off the drops. I would suggest trying to do all you can to make sure she will not go back to the habits that made her gain weight in the past. Make meals together that are healthy and will not be bad once she is back to normal calorie intake. Try to set her up for a little weight gain after the drops are done - but don't let her give up after a little weight gain.
This discussion has been closed.