Protein

Options
I'm on day 4 of this new me plan, and I seem to go over on my protein number everyday. Not always my a lot, but over. Is this going to be a problem? I know the calories is a big no, no to go over on, but the protein? Any clues?
Beany

Replies

• Beany
    Beany Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of this new me plan, and I seem to go over on my protein number everyday. Not always my a lot, but over. Is this going to be a problem? I know the calories is a big no, no to go over on, but the protein? Any clues?
    Beany
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions re: what the proper amount of protein is. I know that the settings here at MFP are too low for me. My best advice is to do some research and see if you want to adjust them.

Just be means of an example, I eat 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. That's just the balance I've found that works the best for me, but everyone's different.

:flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    And I do 50%, 20% 30% - everyone is a little different! If you are working out regularly then your body needs the extra protein to build muscle. As long as your protein is lean meat or beans or nuts you are fine...same with going over on carbs - if they are fresh fruits then you cannot be concerned those are the 'good' carbs!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Believe me, you're not alone in going over on your proteins! That's been my problem since I started on this site. What I ended up doing is like having mainly oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast, salad with spritzer dressing (and alittle fat free shredded cheese) for lunch, and then FINALLY, I get a fairly decent supper with MEAT! LOL.
    I also love peanut butter. I use the Smart Balance Omega 3 kind, but now I only have it like once a week, instead of almost every morning on toast for my breakfast!
    It's just sooo amazing how almost EVERYTHING has protein in it! Seeing that was a real eye opener for me when I started!
    You've just gotta learn like I did to do lots of exercising, which brings up your number totals, and then it's not so bad.
    I've heard that being slightly over on proteins is ok. I know I am sometimes, by about 5 to 10 or so. Since I'm still doing pretty well, I'm not worrying about it anymore!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have only watched the calories :tongue: Don't think I could handle trying to watch everything at once!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Well I try to watch the 4 that show, lol, but I sure don't go looking at those reports too often! It shows WAY too much sodium! LOL, I don't even know about the other stuff, I just get the heck out of there! What I don't know won't hurt me, right?!!! LOL.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always go over on my protein and carbs too. Not by much either, and it really surprises me because I love fruits and veggies and have never cared much for meats. But I didn't realize how many things have protein in them. I always worried that my diet was protein deficient, but, with this site I can see that I get plenty. I worry more about staying around the correct amount of calories. And I never go over on the fat, so I don't worry about it at all. Unless it is on one of my splurge days which I have had 3 of since I started and will have another one tonight. Friends coming over for Italian! Yeah!!!
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    It is fine to go over on your preotein. Protein is good for you, it helps build lean muscles. as long as you don't take more the 1 gram of protein per pound then you are ok (ex I am 160 pounds so i can't have more then 160 grams of protein). And trust me I am sure you are not taking more proptein then that. I drink 2 protein shakes a day and I have never had more then 80grams.