Just discovered the community

Options
I'm 18 and my aim is to lose 52 lbs, which, it goes without saying, is a mammoth task. I have recently been so inspired by my Mum, actually, who gave up smoking when I asked her to, without any help back in the New Year of 2004. She recently asked me to lose weight as I was 'ballooning'. For the first time, I'm in the completely right mind-set, and it's actually going really well so far. I lost 4 lbs in the first 5 days, which is brilliant for me.

I'm glad that I've found like-minded people on this site (i've just been using the iPod app thus far).

Adam, :smile:

Replies

• KrissyD70
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. Yes, it looks like alot when you say you need to lose 52 lbs. but just take it one pound at a time. I have lost 13 lbs. using the calorie counter on MFP and I feel inspired by what other people have lost. I still need to lose about 60 lbs. but I'm just going to set small goals to reach my big goals.
  • adamlukeclough
    Options
    I like that, I'm going to keep that in mind. 'Set small goals to reach my big goals'.
    Thank you
  • CharleneM
    CharleneM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I thought that too when I started out. I set a goal of 10 pounds and stuck to it. I recorded EVERYTHING that went into my mouth. Oh my! Do you then realize how much and WHAT you eat. Now I am aware of everything I eat..... even if I am baking and lick my fingers before I wash them, I am aware that food went into my mouth. It made me way more aware and I stopped doing it. I have lost 18 pounds and it has taken me sveral months to do it, but that is what you want to do...lose it slow (if I don't, I put more back on then what I originally started with) .... You have to make some choices you don't want to make..but you have to remember WHY you are doing this.

Today I went through my closet and went shopping. I found about 10 pair of pants I haven't worn in YEARS! I was happy dancing all through the house. I also packed up about 15-20 pair of pants/tops that were waaay too big...HEE HEE....That feeling is sooooooooooooooooooo good. I have worked so hard for it and it has paid off. I want to lose about 12 more (small goal) and will go from there. I do treat myself on occasion. If I didn't I would be bad all of the time, so once in a while I eat something I shouldn't like this morning. I had a Costco muffin at over 600 calories. So~~I went outside and worked my *ss off....I don't feel so bad now. I put the rest in the freezer. They were left over from camping. Usually i don't buy them anymore :-(

Anyway...good luck, stay strong and write down EVERYTHING you eat!!!
    May that 52 pounds melt off you. Your Mom will be so proud of you (and so should you)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Being in the right mind set is hardest part of the battle. Glad to hear that you're ready. Good Luck!
  • NoelleLou
    Options
    Luke- U will LOVE this site. It helps SO much.. You never really knew HOW many calories your actually eating until you journal everything. I have 100+ lbs to lose & have only lost 18 so far.. But Ive changed so much in 18 lbs. I am aware of everything I eat, I know I am accountable for all the choices I make. My friends on this site support, inspire & encourage me. Its changed my life. Good luck with your journey.. Feel free to friend me to get all the support you need! Thats what were here for!
  • adamlukeclough
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! You're really all an inspiration!