vegan/vegetarian diet

Options
Tishrei
Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
any vegans/vegetarians here who can share some tips on feeling full on 1200 cal?

I try to follow a vegan diet because I have other health issues that are better controlled when I eat that way. I will have a spot of milk in my coffee, parmesan sprinkled on a salad or a piece of fish here and there, maybe if out to dinner a piece of chicken (no more than once a month).
I know I need more protein to fill up, but there's a limit to how much beans and nuts I really want to eat. I'm used to eating lots of whole grains and fruit to feel full but those calories seem to add up so quickly.

Replies

• DrVeggie
    DrVeggie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You have to eat more fiber. Cook some veggies with just a little bit of beans. I just cooked up a half a head of cabbage with some onions and a third of a cup of red lentils... makes two big bowls and keeps you really full!
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Lentils soups and stews with veggies, beans done every which way, nuts, seeds, quinoa, tempeh, tofu...I get more protein than is suggested for me on here every day as a vegan :)
  • Tishrei
    Options
    more fiber is a good idea. I will pay more attention to that.

annasor70- how do you calculate calories for soups and stews?
  • hkb85
    hkb85 Posts: 37
    Options

I try to follow a vegan diet

umm, you know vegans dont eat any animal products at all right? no milk or eggs or cheese
    it has to do with ethics
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

umm, you know vegans dont eat any animal products at all right? no milk or eggs or cheese
    it has to do with ethics

i know where you are coming from, but shes trying to follow a "mostly vegan" diet... which sounds weird to actual vegans but I get it. its not really vegan tho cause milk in your coffee blows that right out of the water. so its really pescetarian (which I cant spell, but I am) + chicken once a month. so not really vegan or vegetarian, or pescetarian at all by normal standards, but I kind of get it. sorta.
  • nikilis
    Options
    ok, heres a salad I invented which really filled me up and I do still have it from time to time.

good 1-2 cups of baby spinach or your favourite greens
    1/4 thinly sliced avocado
    1 tomato shopped
    alfalfa sprouts 30gm
    10-25gm of mixed nuts (depending on your cals, but it makes it more awesome)
    a few mixed seeds
    150 grams of small diced roast potatoes (you can have it without, but this makes it more awesome again and more filling)
    and your favourite low cal dressing, I go for mustard.

this has a lot of fibre in it and equates to around 5 servings of vegetables and a good serving or two of healthy fats.

thats how i did it when I was on lower calories.
  • nikilis
    Options
    also, buy a 1-2kg bag of carrots, and if you get hungry between meals, eat a large carrot instead of a snack bar or whatever. it will make you not hungry. for real. if not, have 2. it works. srsly.
  • hkb85
    hkb85 Posts: 37
    Options

it has to do with ethics

i know where you are coming from, but shes trying to follow a "mostly vegan" diet... which sounds weird to actual vegans but I get it. its not really vegan tho cause milk in your coffee blows that right out of the water. so its really pescetarian (which I cant spell, but I am) + chicken once a month. so not really vegan or vegetarian, or pescetarian at all by normal standards, but I kind of get it. sorta.

oh im not vegan
    just one of those people that think if your going to use a word, you should know what it means.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    any vegans/vegetarians here who can share some tips on feeling full on 1200 cal?

I try to follow a vegan diet because I have other health issues that are better controlled when I eat that way. I will have a spot of milk in my coffee, parmesan sprinkled on a salad or a piece of fish here and there, maybe if out to dinner a piece of chicken (no more than once a month).
    I know I need more protein to fill up, but there's a limit to how much beans and nuts I really want to eat. I'm used to eating lots of whole grains and fruit to feel full but those calories seem to add up so quickly.

1200 is too low for the majority of people and is unnecessary for weight loss, especially for someone, like yourself, who has so little to lose. I suggest researching your TDEE and taking a 15% cut from that.
  • Tishrei
    Options

it has to do with ethics

Yes, I do know what vegan means which is why I did not identify myself as such. My reason has nothing to do with the animals but my health. You do know that some vegans are vegan for health, rather than ethical, reasons?
    Since I drastically limit my animal protein intake, I was hoping to gain some advice from 'true vegans or vegetarians' rather than the average member here who would probably tell me to have some low fat yogurt or chicken, which I cannot do.
    Does that make any sense?
  • Tishrei
    Options
    also, buy a 1-2kg bag of carrots, and if you get hungry between meals, eat a large carrot instead of a snack bar or whatever. it will make you not hungry. for real. if not, have 2. it works. srsly.

Thanks, Nikilis for the tip and the recipe, will try that
  • nikilis
    Options

1200 is too low for the majority of people and is unnecessary for weight loss, especially for someone, like yourself, who has so little to lose. I suggest researching your TDEE and taking a 15% cut from that.

go ahead and look at her profile, shes 5' 5, 130 and 40. maybe you could do the numbers....

WnBUmtS.png

after looking at the result, you could up your calories, especially as you are feeling hungry to 1300-1350 and also as you have so little to loose.

that said, due to your age/height/weight 1200 wont kill you, but you probably don't need to go that low.

not that she asked. and if you are gonna go all 1200 on someone, do the numbers yourself:

http://physiquelore.com/harris-benedict/
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1500 per day, and you can friend me to see my diary. I only use goat/sheep dairy and eggs for flavour through the week, but like eggs on toast for a weekend breakfast treat. (I personally use the term plant-based diet for how I eat). 1200 might be too low for you, particularly if you're hungry, so please listen to your body.

I typically use protein powder in smoothies for breakfast, honestly more for satiety through the morning and nutritional insurance than anything else. There are plenty of vegan powders that are smooth and taste good, but you will have to try different brands as everyone's palate is a bit different. Vanilla seems to go best with fruit, almond milk, and chia seeds (also a great source of protein).

Definitely try quinoa:

~rinse in a fine mesh sieve
    ~cook in a 1:2 ratio with water or stock for approx. 15 mins until you can see a white ring around the seeds
    ~fluff with a fork

and I love edamame. Tofu is very low in calories too, until you stirfry it and add a ton of sauce, so try marinating in low-fat salad dressings then baking it.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options

it has to do with ethics

oh im not vegan
    just one of those people that think if your going to use a word, you should know what it means.

she understands what it means, it was just a good way of describing what she is TRYING to do.
    would you just take your nitpicking elsewhere please
  • h0pe4change
    Options

it has to do with ethics

oh im not vegan

she understands what it means, it was just a good way of describing what she is TRYING to do.
    would you just take your nitpicking elsewhere please

I agree. Although some argue a valid point ... that is entirely not the point of this conversation. It also tries to label someone who is trying to get healthy. They also used the word TRY which sums up a lot of this anyways.

GOOD FOR YOU FOR TRYING! anything is better than nothing and eating fish / chicken when you need FOR HEALTH REASONS is great.

As a vegetarian i went to about 1500 calories and i feel fine. I eat a lot of hemp hearts for protein and nuts. I believe spinach also has fiber to keep you feeling full. I think if you are hungry you do need to eat more or eat smaller meals and snack more and space it out.

Some vegan options aren't as filling so maybe if you eat a large meal of something vegan follow it with a snack with something more filling.

You can also sprinkle flax or wheat germ on your foods also. If they have goat milk where you are you can try that. Its richer and better for you and if you have any aversion to dairy you have less reaction to goats milk than cows.

Hope some of that garble helps
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Can you eat soy or wheat products? I'm not vegetarian, but I love making seitan (vital wheat gluten). We also marinate tofu and either bake it or toss it into a stir fry. It really helps bulk up a meal of mostly veggies and can flavoured all sorts of interesting ways. Silken tofu works well in smoothies or dressings too.
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    more fiber is a good idea. I will pay more attention to that.

annasor70- how do you calculate calories for soups and stews?

I will often create my own meal descriptions on here and calculate calories myself by just checking packets etc..... but I DID find for example quinoa and lentil stew on here and dahl which is a yellow lentil dish :)