will i ever be able to eat carbs after atkins?????

Options
ktm96
ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
So I'm at my goal weight of 127 pounds. I started my weight loss journey at around 150 pounds and lost about 10 pounds doing regular calorie counting, eating 1200/day. I then started low carb about 3 weeks ago and am currently at 127.

Last thursday (i weighed 127) I decided to have a few cookies (eventually turned into a cheat day) and had a bagel and a few other carby foods but I didnt go over 150g of carbs for sure. I gained about 4 pounds and the next day i was 132.

since thursday i immediatly went back to low carb and am back to my goal weight. will i ever be able to eat carbs regularly again without gaining weight? I really wanna stay at 127. I know those pounds i gained were just water weight but i dont.

my new plan is to get down to 122 pounds and then just switch to eating carbs again so all the water weight ill be retaining will keep me at my goal weight of at least 127 pounds. does this sound like a good plan?

i just really wanna be able to have a piece of cake every now and then during birthday parties and be able to eat sandwiches and eat somewhat of a balanced diet again!

Replies

• sexehashley123
    Options
    If you treat yourself to whatever you like once in a blue moon I wouldn't look at the stale the next day. I was on this diet and lost weight and have kept it off by elimating dairy bread, sodium and sugars. you can do that if you want but most of the weight from a low carb diet is water weight not fat . The only reason people lose weight through this is because they end up eating less its all about calories and carbs as well.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'4 or under then 122 is a good weight and if that makes you feel better during fluxes sure it's a good plan. I don't think you should drive yourself nuts over the issue. Speaking of nuts good low carb snack. Anyway, you didn't gain 4 pounds by eating some cake and a bagel. That would mean you went 14000 calories over your TDEE. And that did not happen. Unless you hijacked a Twinkie truck and ate all of them. So, long story short, you can probably eat carbs again. But, focus on whole grains for your daily carbs and then have a small treat once in a while. If you have no metabolic issues you will be fine and if you balloon up 4 pounds again, it's water weight it will go away.
  • ktm96
    Options
    my goal weight is 127, and thats where i am right now. when i ate some carbs i gained 4 pounds of water weight. i was thinking if i went down to 123 pounds and i started adding carbs back into my diet, when id gain the 4 pounds of water weight id be at my goal weight. i just want to maintain at 127 pounds is all.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Carbs like breads and cookies require more water in the digestive system to "move" them through. So you will retain 3-7 pounds of water when you ingest a lot of carbs.

Just eat 100-150g carbs a day. It's a good number, and you will equalize. It's all about a calorie deficit.
  • ktm96
    Options
    what do you mean by equalize? maintain my weight?
  • ktm96
    Options
    also, do you reccomend eating 100-150 grams of carbs right away? or should i slowly work toward that number?
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My experience with Atkin's was the weight came off fast, but the second I started eating any carbs I would retain water and bloat up crazy. Once I started adding carbs back in the weight piled back on fast. I do a lower carb now, but will never go back to the 10-20 carb levels, it made me lose weight fast but it was horrible to try and keep it off not being able have any higher level of carbs even if it was just a treat like a piece of cake or bread a week with out gaining.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    So I'm at my goal weight of 127 pounds. I started my weight loss journey at around 150 pounds and lost about 10 pounds doing regular calorie counting, eating 1200/day. I then started low carb about 3 weeks ago and am currently at 127.

Last thursday (i weighed 127) I decided to have a few cookies (eventually turned into a cheat day) and had a bagel and a few other carby foods but I didnt go over 150g of carbs for sure. I gained about 4 pounds and the next day i was 132.

since thursday i immediatly went back to low carb and am back to my goal weight. will i ever be able to eat carbs regularly again without gaining weight? I really wanna stay at 127. I know those pounds i gained were just water weight but i dont.

my new plan is to get down to 122 pounds and then just switch to eating carbs again so all the water weight ill be retaining will keep me at my goal weight of at least 127 pounds. does this sound like a good plan?

i just really wanna be able to have a piece of cake every now and then during birthday parties and be able to eat sandwiches and eat somewhat of a balanced diet again!

OP, did you follow the Atkins plan correctly? If so, you should be in Maintenance phase, and you should have learned what your daily amount of carbs is that you can eat to maintain (not lose or gain weight). I would suggest that you work your way through the plan. You can have a piece of cake or sandwiches, but if it puts you over your maintenance allotment, I wouldn't suggest doing that every day and still expect to stay at your goal weight.