Medifast vs Ideal Protein Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast with a coach. I loved the book that is mentioned below. I had struggled to lose weight on so many other programs before I did this one. I have maintained my healthy weight for over a year now. I lost weight with the Medifast food but that was just one part of this program. I learned and implemented healthy habits and took a good hard look at myself. I have a thyroid condition that made me gain weight and I always blamed it on that. When I did the internal work I was able to figure out what part I played in becoming overweight Its not something that just "happened" to me. I learned what my triggers were and learned about my own chices and behaviors. You will learn absolutely nothing from eating meal replacements. If you use them, they will take the burden and stress off of weight loss so that you can do the deeper work and learn about yourself and what changes you need to make. Let me know if you have any questions about the program
  • fluffytuf
    fluffytuf Posts: 12
    Options
    Filled out the forms and considering Ideal Protein diet. Apparently my metabolism is shot. I can't lose weight no matter what I do, even under 1200 calories a day. I'm not really a veggie eater and would have to eat 4 cups of them a day plus salads. Anyone know where to find Ideal Protein recipes for those yucky veggies? Reading all these posts I'm really on the fence about it. I have to lose 50 lbs and it seems with other's experiences, it wouldn't take long to lose that on IPD, then would have to learn how to eat not to gain it back.
  • corliss777
    corliss777 Posts: 12
    Options
    I like Ideal protein a bit better than medifast. Eating 5 medifast meals a day feels very artificial. I think Ideal's meals taste a little better. Medifast meals have strong after taste that takes time to get use to. I like ideal for me. Im allergic to alot of foods because I'm allergic to alot of trees, grasses, and molds. When I get off of Ideal protein I break out horribly from wheat and dairy. A vegan diet would probably be best for me. I know people that have lost the weight and kept if off for years on ideal and I know people that have gained it back. When I got off I did gain back but not all of it and only because I ate very badly all the time I also did not go through maintanence. I'm back on plan and my goal is to make it to maintanence. :-)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast 5 years ago. I lost about 35 lbs on it total (I don't remember over how much time, but it averaged out to about 1.5 lb/wk). It was expensive. More expensive than cooking on my own. The food was awful (although I hear it's better). If you do it, some caution regarding the meal bars: they will make you fart so much you'll think you could be responsible for global warming. Anyway, I (obviously) didn't keep the weight off. I went back to eating real food, and eating in my old ways. But this time around, I'm eating real food. I'm cooking. I'm exercising. And I'm losing at the same rate without sacrificing my wallet or flavor. And all that food is super processed and full of artificial sweeteners. And it restricts your calories A LOT. like, 700-900 calories a day. That's not healthy. I don't care what doctor is recommending it. That will destroy your metabolism.

I say all this, and two of my family members have gone into business with this. I love them very much, but this "diet" is not healthy, and you can do it on your own with real food.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Medifast Diet Deceptions:
    In September , the MLM diet company Medifast (MED), agreed to pay $3.5 million to settle FTC charges of false product claims. These fines are for violating an earlier order to cease and desist from making unsupported weight loss claims. Despite its promotional use of references to doctors and “clients”, most of this company’s revenue is gained from ordinary low calorie packaged food sold by non-medical sales representatives in a multi-level marketing scheme

http://pyramidschemealert.org/2012-round-up-crimes-misdemeanors-and-charges-in-multi-level-marketing/
  • amtornberg
    Options
    For those considering Ideal Protein, I recommend you check out the Forum at 3 Fat Chicks:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

There is so much helpful information and links to recipes and creative ways to get the veggies in.

I have been on IP for 3 weeks and have lost 12lbs. This is huge for me because no matter what I did in the past, my weight refused to budge. My first week was $300 which included all of my consultations, 1 week of food, and a month's supply of vitamins. After that, each week is $87 plus veggies and protein.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me.
  • amtornberg
    Options
    Filled out the forms and considering Ideal Protein diet. Apparently my metabolism is shot. I can't lose weight no matter what I do, even under 1200 calories a day. I'm not really a veggie eater and would have to eat 4 cups of them a day plus salads. Anyone know where to find Ideal Protein recipes for those yucky veggies? Reading all these posts I'm really on the fence about it. I have to lose 50 lbs and it seems with other's experiences, it wouldn't take long to lose that on IPD, then would have to learn how to eat not to gain it back.

Hi! I am NOT a veggie eater either, but I have found great ways to get it in throughout the day. For example, I just had a salad (lettuce doesn't count) with 1 cup of cucumbers and 1 cup of green peppers. Half way there! Last night for dinner I had a steak with grilled zucchini and peppers. Even though I don't really like veggies, I have learned (even in 3 short weeks) that getting them in is just part of my new way of life. I recommend you check out the forum at 3 Fat Chicks:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

There is a lot of great advice, including recipes and general support for those of us on IP. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, is it possible the "it's not healthy to lose weight too fast" message that has been hammered into us is really just to make sure the multi-billion dollar weight lose industry can keep people on their program as long as possible ensuring financial gain?

One of the main reasons that rapid weight loss diets are held in low esteem is that they're not a sustainable long term nutritional plan and frequently lead to yo-yo dieting which then results in even greater revenues for the diet centres and makers of these products.

With the exception of the morbidly obese whose weight may be triggering some other medical emergency the best approach is the one that is sustainable for the rest of our lives.

We didn't put on that extra 50 (or more) pounds overnight, why would we expect (other than our need for instant gratification) think we need to lose it in a matter of weeks?
  • seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did Medifast in 2010, through Take Shape for Life, vs. the much more pricey way of going into a brick and mortar Medifast center.
    I lost 70 lbs., in 6 months, and felt and looked so much better! I am hypothyroid, also, have osteoarthritis, too, and within 2 weeks of starting, I felt like a new person. I have been a yo-yo dieter for about 40 years, so this was all amazing to me.
    I loved my results, and how easy it was so much, that I became a "health coach" with this program. Many people joined me, friends, mostly, and friends of friends.
    September, 2013: 60 of the 70 lbs are back on me. I thought I would never gain it back. Truth is, like others have said, if you don't change permanently, your lifestyle, your way of thinking, your habits, you will gain it back. In Dr. A's book (mentioned in an earlier reply, excellent book), you have a formula on how to figure out maintenance calories. You will forever have to maintain eating this smaller amount of calories, it's true. I did not transition back to adding in regular foods, and going off the pre-packaged meals, and I did not exercise. Both, mistakes. I still think the program is sound, you take in ideally 800-1000 calories a day while on the program. I went to a national conference, and I met MANY people who had maintained their weight loss for years! They honestly do have the goal of getting America healthy. Yes, part of their goal is also making money as health coaches. I quit because the truth is, everyone who needs to lose weight needs support, which at first was fun and I was so excited! Then I found it was exhausting (for me) to be on call all the time, with people's various needs while on program. I wasn't in it for the money, but was spending way too much time away from my family.
    This time, I am joining this site, for the mutual support, vs. being the sole support for others. I am planning on a lifestyle change, using both my favorite Medifast foods as some meals, and low carb meals for others. I will exercise the entire time, and once in awhile, allow small, (VERY small) bites/servings of treats at events. I felt too deprived before, and I had the "on a diet" or else "eat whatever I want" plan.
    I wish everyone the best, no matter what you choose to do!