Vegetarian w/ PCOS considering a change (think: meat)

Options
Here's my issue: I have been a vegetarian of one stripe or another since 1997 and I am thinking of switching to a Paleo dietary lifestyle after years of struggling to get my weight and my PCOS in check. No matter what I eat, this seems IMPOSSIBLE on a well-balanced vegetarian diet. I eat what I should: beans and legumes, lentils, squash, broccoli, tons of raw and flash frozen veggies, walnuts, a little tuna once in a while, EVOO, occasionally a Luna bar, I really like tofu, etc. - in essence, I never met a healthy food I didn't like. It seems like no matter what I eat, I still feel like crud. I am run down and tired all the time. I have been working very closely with my endo and she says that all my bloodwork is pretty much ideal. Metformin has stabilized my blood sugar and every thing else is just ginger peachy...So why do I still feel like this every darn day?

I've ruled out just about everything. At this point, I think it's my diet.

Some back story: Initially after the switch to a veggie lifestyle I gained a lot of weight - about 90 lbs in six months (YIKES, right?). This was from a combination of medications, lack of proper PCOS diagnosis (which didn't happen until 2007), and my insatiable cravings for carbs, which are abundant in vegetarian diets. (Even most of the protein sources are either wheat or soy based, though I do know of, have tried, and like other alternative proteins - like mycoproteins and such. As I mentioned earlier, I have been a veg*n for about 16 years.) I reintroduced seafood and poultry into the mix about the time I got my PCOS diagnosis (it was actually the recommendation of two of my doctors at the time!) and lost about 30 lbs. without making any other dietary changes. This struck me as really strange, but chalked it up to the fact that the lean animal proteins might have replaced some of the high carb stuff I was consuming. I have since plateaued, which is why I am now on MFP.

I have chronic GI issues (in spite of a healthy diet with an ideal amount of fiber) from this damn Metformin (everything else has been ruled out by several doctors; I even had my gallbladder removed in March because of these issues) and I am pretty eager to get it down to a lower dose or stop taking it altogether. Before I can do so, I need to get my weight down so I have a better chance of regulating my blood sugar with natural options that might not work well enough for me to use in my current state of health re: PCOS.

Maybe some people just aren't meant to be vegetarian? I love the feeling of living a compassionate life, but maybe I need to re-examine my definition of compassion to extend to animals treated in a humane fashion for my consumption? I haven't eaten any mammals in years, and I am reluctant to do so. At the same time, it seems stupid for me to put my health at risk if this is, indeed, what is making my PCOS so hard to manage. At least three of my doctors have recommended the Paleo diet to me, including my endo. Paleo advocates eating grass-fed free range animals. I might be willing to warm up to this if I know the animals have been treated well and aren't pumped full of hormones.

I am sort of hoping someone out there has had a similar experience. I am eager to hear your response.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Do you currently eat eggs? If not, you might consider that first before going for meat. If you do go for meat, there are beef/pork suppliers who have grassfed/open range animals, which imo are both more humane and healthier.

What worked better than anything else to get my PCOS under control was regular martial arts practice. I would feel absolutely terrible before I went, but something about the community and the sheer enjoyment would have me leaving (in the evenings) totally exhausted but a little high. After some time (1.5 years?) of training regularly, I found that my blood sugars were absolutely normal and if I felt like it, I could go all day without food and then eat in the evenings without feeling terrible. This is all before I started counting calories, so I hadn't lost any weight, but I was very definitely healthier. My monthlies also are far more regular than they are before -- I no longer need BCP to stay regular.
  • valligal
    valligal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you had a test for celiac disease? Have a biopsoy of your small intestine for the most accurate results. Do some research on celiac blogs to see if your symptoms match. Sounds like they do.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It is your choice and your life, though I'd suggest getting some more opinions perhaps seek out a nutritionist who's familiar with vegetarian diets? Unfortunately few doctors know much about nutrition, and paleo is pretty much a fad diet, not a lifestyle. The foods people eat on "paleo" diets are nothing like what our ancestors ate as we did not breed and cross-breed plants like we do now, or eat a lot of large animals. Get tested for gluten intolerance, food allergies ect..

You mentioned having GI issues and I can relate, I have ibs and lactose intolerance. I find meat irritating to it. I feel more bloated eating meat and meat takes longer to digest anyway so I can't imagine it being beneficial to those with GI issues.

To me it sounds like you just want to try out eating meat and see if that works for you, but in the end its your body, but from what you've said I don't know how beneficial it would really be to your health as meat doesn't have anything you wouldn't be getting from a vegetarian diet. How much meat did you eat before going vegetarian? For me, meat was never really the center of my plate. I would eat a burger every two months maybe and the most meat I ate was usually pepperoni or something.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The foods people eat on "paleo" diets are nothing like what our ancestors ate as we did not breed and cross-breed plants like we do now, or eat a lot of large animals. Get tested for gluten intolerance, food allergies ect..

I know! It feels like no matter what you eat in this country it's tainted by industry, too. It's a bit of a minefield!
    How much meat did you eat before going vegetarian? For me, meat was never really the center of my plate. I would eat a burger every two months maybe and the most meat I ate was usually pepperoni or something.

I remember very distinctly that I ate quite a bit of lean meat prior to 1997. No bacon, corned beef (gross), or anything like that. Lean pork chops, lean steak with the fat cut off, salmon, chicken, at least a serving of one of these once a day. I remember that I HATED fat on my meats. It was gross and gave me tummy aches. The other stuff didn't seem to bother me, though.
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    Have you had a test for celiac disease? Have a biopsoy of your small intestine for the most accurate results. Do some research on celiac blogs to see if your symptoms match. Sounds like they do.

I thought that too, especially since my GI problems predated GB surgery. They tested me and I was negative.
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    Do you currently eat eggs? If not, you might consider that first before going for meat. If you do go for meat, there are beef/pork suppliers who have grassfed/open range animals, which imo are both more humane and healthier.

What worked better than anything else to get my PCOS under control was regular martial arts practice. I would feel absolutely terrible before I went, but something about the community and the sheer enjoyment would have me leaving (in the evenings) totally exhausted but a little high. After some time (1.5 years?) of training regularly, I found that my blood sugars were absolutely normal and if I felt like it, I could go all day without food and then eat in the evenings without feeling terrible. This is all before I started counting calories, so I hadn't lost any weight, but I was very definitely healthier. My monthlies also are far more regular than they are before -- I no longer need BCP to stay regular.

I do currently eat eggs. I am a "lazy vegetarian" - or a pollo-pescetarian. I definitely need to up my activity levels. I have actually joined a walking group through my school and that starts next week for a six week session. I'll check to see if the rec center offers something like what you described once the semester starts.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The foods people eat on "paleo" diets are nothing like what our ancestors ate as we did not breed and cross-breed plants like we do now, or eat a lot of large animals. Get tested for gluten intolerance, food allergies ect..

I know! It feels like no matter what you eat in this country it's tainted by industry, too. It's a bit of a minefield!
    How much meat did you eat before going vegetarian? For me, meat was never really the center of my plate. I would eat a burger every two months maybe and the most meat I ate was usually pepperoni or something.

I remember very distinctly that I ate quite a bit of lean meat prior to 1997. No bacon, corned beef (gross), or anything like that. Lean pork chops, lean steak with the fat cut off, salmon, chicken, at least a serving of one of these once a day. I remember that I HATED fat on my meats. It was gross and gave me tummy aches. The other stuff didn't seem to bother me, though.

I'm bit confused on why you think going back to meat diet will help your issues? It's easy to reduce carbs on a vegetarian diet...or rather didn't you say in a later post you are actually pescatarian?
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    I'm bit confused on why you think going back to meat diet will help your issues? It's easy to reduce carbs on a vegetarian diet...or rather didn't you say in a later post you are actually pescatarian?

Most people don't know what a pescatarian is. I have asserted from my initial post (please re-read it if you don't believe me) that I do incorporate fish and occasionally some poultry into my current diet. I have been ovo-lacto/lacto-ovo, as well as vegan. Of the last 17 years, I have only been eating fish and foul for the last 5.

I kind of sense that you are a veg*n. The only people I know who get indignant about pescatarians calling themselves "vegetarians" are, themselves, vegetarians. (For the record, most pescatarians only associate themselves with veg*ns to make it easier to explain their diet to the mammal meat eating masses who tend to get perplexed by the label. In essence, we don't do it for people who already know the difference.)

Please do not be defensive of the lifestyle, as I agree that it is the ideal, most ecologically friendly, most compassionate way to eat.

I have been a vegetarian of one stripe or another for the better part of twenty years. I am not inexperienced about this subject. It is easy to reduce carbs on a veg*n diet, BUT it is damned near impossible to get carbs as low as I need to in order to get my blood sugar where I want it, AND eliminate wheat (which I'm sensitive to), AND eliminate soy (which has phytoestrogens that could also be messing with my PCOS). The problem is, with these last considerations, it becomes almost impossible to eat enough protein on my current diet. Even the protein sources in a veg*n diet are relatively higher in carbohydrates than meat.

Here is a list of popular veg*n protein sources and why I shouldn't eat them as the basis of my diet any longer. I know that these are incredibly healthy and they taste delicious. I have been living off of this stuff for years...but I am still fat and my blood sugar is all f'ed up because I don't metabolize sugar like the average person does. A little bit of carbs go a LONG way when you're a diabetic.

Tempeh (soy), Soybeans (soy), Seitan (wheat/gluten), Lentils (I love 'em, but they are high in carbs), Black beans (ditto; I <3 these, but they're very high in carbs), Kidney beans (ditto), Chickpeas (ditto), Pinto beans - and let's just say all legumes (high fiber, but also high carb), Veggie burger (has almost a full serving of carbs according to the American Diabetes Association - a full serving is 15 grams), Tofu (soy), Quinoa (a 1/2 cup has 17g carbs), Peas (high carb), Textured Vegetable Protein - TVP (a 1/2 cup has 14 g of carbs, which is almost a full serving), Peanut butter (also high carb; even the unsweetened kind has about 6g carbs for 2 tbsp),
    Veggie dog (again, these have sugar in them), and you probably get the point.

Now, I know a little bit of carbs - especially ones high in fiber like those listed above - aren't going to hurt me, and in fact, are quite good for me. The problem comes in when you start to build meals out of all of this stuff. If the veggies and fruit have sugar and even the proteins have carbs (which is not generally the case with meat protein) then before you know it - BOOM - I am eating too many carbs, my blood sugar spikes, I get really tired and pass out, and my whole day is shot.

I am trying to avoid becoming insulin dependent here. The reason why I am considering meat is because of this desperation. I am a 32 year old type two diabetic. This is no joke.

Do you also have PCOS or are you diabetic? If you are, and have specific advice on how to eliminate most of the carbs from my diet while maintaining this lifestyle, I would be absolutely thrilled to hear it. For real - no snarkiness intended in that statement at all. Otherwise, please keep your scrutiny to a minimum until you've walked a mile in these very frustrated, overweight, and morally vexed shoes.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    From vegetarian to Paleo? Can't you meet somewhere in between extremes? Maybe start by adding a little chicken or turkey to your diet, fish, eggs, cheeses?
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    It is your choice and your life, though I'd suggest getting some more opinions perhaps seek out a nutritionist who's familiar with vegetarian diets? Unfortunately few doctors know much about nutrition, and paleo is pretty much a fad diet, not a lifestyle. The foods people eat on "paleo" diets are nothing like what our ancestors ate as we did not breed and cross-breed plants like we do now, or eat a lot of large animals. Get tested for gluten intolerance, food allergies ect..

You mentioned having GI issues and I can relate, I have ibs and lactose intolerance. I find meat irritating to it. I feel more bloated eating meat and meat takes longer to digest anyway so I can't imagine it being beneficial to those with GI issues.

To me it sounds like you just want to try out eating meat and see if that works for you, but in the end its your body, but from what you've said I don't know how beneficial it would really be to your health as meat doesn't have anything you wouldn't be getting from a vegetarian diet. How much meat did you eat before going vegetarian? For me, meat was never really the center of my plate. I would eat a burger every two months maybe and the most meat I ate was usually pepperoni or something.

100% agree. I am vegetarian and doing great. I put on weight but purely because of the quantity of food I eat.
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    From vegetarian to Paleo? Can't you meet somewhere in between extremes? Maybe start by adding a little chicken or turkey to your diet, fish, eggs, cheeses?

Please read the original post. :wink:
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: At the risk of coming off as argumentative, vegetarians do not eat fish or chicken. Sorry, but that is a pet peeve of mine, not because I am indignant about it, but because it is illogical for anyone who eats fish and chicken to label themselves as a vegetarian. Fish and birds are animals. The entire basis of a vegetarian diet is NOT eating animals. That said, why worry about labeling yourself at all? I understand that it sometimes makes it easier, but not if you are using a label that does not apply to your personal eating habits.

I'm a diabetic. I'm currently eating a vegan diet and am *mostly* eating very low carb. How low do you want to go, and how strict are you willing to be to do it? It can be done, but it is fairly extreme. If you are curious to see what I do, add me as a friend and take a look at my diary. I'm not advocating what I do for anyone else. I'm just saying you might want to look for morbid curiosity if no other reason. :)

But . . . if you don't mind eating meat, fish, chicken, and you think it will help you be healthier, then why worry? You could give it a try and switch to something else if it doesn't work out the way you hope.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Also, kindly note that a vegetarian does not eat any kind of flesh. No mammals. No birds. No fish nor seafood. Zip. Nada. Nothing that ever had eyes. There is no 'kind of' or 'part-time' when it comes to a vegetarian lifestyle. It's like saying you sometimes smoke. You either do or you don't. I'm just saying because I keep reading this and it is incorrect. I don't mean to be rude either and if come across as being rude, I apologize.

Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat – red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal.
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    I would urge you to do so, source your meat/fish from a good source like a local butcher that deals with local free range animals and you know they are humane in the end part of it.

I would normally write an essay but I think I will refrain and keep it brief.

Try do the switch fairly slowly but consistently.

Good luck

-Blake
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    Note to potential respondents:

I am really in need of answers and do not mean to sound terse, but PLEASE only reply to this if you have a keen understanding of PCOS/IR, Syndrome X, NASH, and/or Type 2 diabetes.

I am 100% not interested in being lectured by defensive vegetarians. I wouldn't be considering this if it weren't for the fact that my blood sugar is out of control. My diet is public. I DO eat eggs and animal proteins already, just no mammals. (For further explanation, please read the entire thread before posting). I agree that this is the ideal, most compassionate dietary lifestyle but it is NOT working for me - and I've been doing it in one way or another for 17 years! I am not completely ignorant about this.

So, if you have read the first post, have one of the conditions listed in this one, AND think you can contribute something helpful, I look forward to hearing from you. Again, sorry for the tone. I am just really frustrated. Thank you for your time.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting post. I have a feeling you will get a bunch of b*tchy responses, but I'm interested to see what someone with some helpful educated advice has to say. I don't eat a considerable amount of meat just by happenstance, as I prefer veggies and plant based protein, but I often force myself to eat some fish our chicken just to get a decent amount of protein in my system. I don't know if you have had similar advice, but I have had doctors recommend not eating soy products due to my endometriosis and PCOS, but some things I've read say that advice has no bearing, so I don't know. I love tofu, but I have cut down quite a bit just in case.
    As far as the more compassionate lifestyle goes, I'm not sure many vegetarians consider how poorly the farm workers of the world are treated, often times the conditions are even considered slavery, and people die every year from heat exhaustion and similar avoidable circumstances. So unless you're growing all your produce or buy it from familiar local sources (which is awesome, but unrealistic for most,) chances are your meal contains something touched by someone who was treated inhumanely. Just food for thought, I don't know what the best lifestyle is considering humane practices and I try not to judge other people's lifestyle choices.
  • blakerb29
    Options
    This is an interesting post. I have a feeling you will get a bunch of b*tchy responses, but I'm interested to see what someone with some helpful educated advice has to say. I don't eat a considerable amount of meat just by happenstance, as I prefer veggies and plant based protein, but I often force myself to eat some fish our chicken just to get a decent amount of protein in my system. I don't know if you have had similar advice, but I have had doctors recommend not eating soy products due to my endometriosis and PCOS, but some things I've read say that advice has no bearing, so I don't know. I love tofu, but I have cut down quite a bit just in case.
    As far as the more compassionate lifestyle goes, I'm not sure many vegetarians consider how poorly the farm workers of the world are treated, often times the conditions are even considered slavery, and people die every year from heat exhaustion and similar avoidable circumstances. So unless you're growing all your produce or buy it from familiar local sources (which is awesome, but unrealistic for most,) chances are your meal contains something touched by someone who was treated inhumanely. Just food for thought, I don't know what the best lifestyle is considering humane practices and I try not to judge other people's lifestyle choices.

What a great, great, rational post.
    I applaud you!

-Blake
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    Also, kindly note that a vegetarian does not eat any kind of flesh. No mammals. No birds. No fish nor seafood. Zip. Nada. Nothing that ever had eyes. There is no 'kind of' or 'part-time' when it comes to a vegetarian lifestyle. It's like saying you sometimes smoke. You either do or you don't. I'm just saying because I keep reading this and it is incorrect. I don't mean to be rude either and if come across as being rude, I apologize.

Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat – red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal.

I know ALL of this. Please read the whole thread before chiming in with such a smug, unhelpful, self-serving response.
  • CysterWigs
    Options

I know that. If you would have read my responses to people who made similar comments you would know that I already know the difference and do not technically consider myself a vegetarian. I label myself as such, as most pescatarians do, for the benefit of people who DO NOT know the difference. After a while, you just get sick of trying to explain it to people. You may personally enjoy using your life as a tool to educate the masses, as I did when I WAS a strict vegetarian (from 1997 - 2007), but that gets old when you realize how everyone who isn't a vegetarian just sees such behavior as smug and holier than thou. (And for the record, you didn't come across that way to me and I didn't see your response as particularly rude. This was a generalized statement, not intended to be specifically about you.)
  • blakerb29
    Options
    I knew a thread regarding this topic would have so many self righteous posts.
    I don't know what it is about vegetarians and self righteous preaching but I thank you Cyster for being different.
    These type of comments/attitudes give vegetarians a bad rep.