how to convince my parent to let me run alone?

Options
I like to run in the mornings for about an hour or two and my moms been freaking out about me being alone. I'm fine all the time and I'm surrounded by runners doing their own thing. I take my cellphone. Any advice?

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will ever get them to the point where they are comfortable with it. I am 34 with 3 kids of my own. I have been out of the house since I was 16. If my mom finds out that I went shopping alone after dark she still yells at me. It is a parents perogative to worry about their children. And honestly I wouldn't want my daughter running by herself. There are creepy people everywhere.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

My hubby worries, but in the area we live in, the worst that will happen is me tripping over my own feet and drowning in a puddle...
    nah, seriously, i have got worried once or twice when i run on an unofficial trail behind the industrial part of town, funny, because i only remember to worry when i actually do see people. my other trail is busy enough with dog walkers that the only thing i worry about is poop on my shoes and ankle biters.

as for convincing anyone to let you run alone. make sure you run in a (fairly) safe & public place. are confident and can take care of yourself. take a mean dog with you, just in case :-p
    (again, seriously, if you feel like a victim, your posture telegraphs that fact to everyone, which is likely to make you one. and even a small dog is a deterrent, if not protection - but they can probably not run for 2 hours)
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Maybe walk or run your route with her once around the same time so that she can see there's nothing to worry about? Or if you both have an iPhone you can use the Find my Friends app (or a similar app on another phone) during your run that tracks your gps live so that she knows exactly where you are the entire time.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Get a mini can of pepper spray?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Be an adult.
  • Nikki31104
    Options
    Where can you get pepper spray? My daughter works nights and I worry that she will have to sit outside alone until I get there to pick her up.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Where can you get pepper spray? My daughter works nights and I worry that she will have to sit outside alone until I get there to pick her up.
    Ranger surplus or just about any gun store
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Sometimes at Walmart, sporting goods store, etc.
  • Nikki31104
    Options
    Thanks. I am going to look for some. She usually gets off around 11 and it makes me uncomfortable.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will ever get them to the point where they are comfortable with it. I am 34 with 3 kids of my own. I have been out of the house since I was 16. If my mom finds out that I went shopping alone after dark she still yells at me. It is a parents perogative to worry about their children. And honestly I wouldn't want my daughter running by herself. There are creepy people everywhere.
    I'm 45 and married to a retired cop, and my mom still frets about me running alone. :laugh: I can't convince her that if hubby feels I'm okay, then I'm okay!

All you can do is reassure them that you've got a good head on your shoulders, and that you always stay aware of your surroundings, and then make sure that you do! Keep your head up and eyes all around you. I look back over my shoulder frequently to see who, if anyone, is behind me. Don't be afraid to cross the street or change direction if you see something or someone ahead of you that doesn't seem right. Trust your gut. Running in the morning is statistically safer than in the evening or at night. I suppose most of the creepers are still sleeping off whatever they did the night before. :tongue:

I always tell my hubby or daughter where I'm running and how long I expect to be gone. They both know they can track me with the Find My Friends app as someone else mentioned.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    They should come with you if they are that worried. If they aren't willing to do that, then they aren't really all that worried. Personally I don't get it. I let my daughter run alone from the time she was 16. We don't live in an area that is even remotely dangerous, the running trail is 2 blocks from our house, she often took the dog, and it is adjacent to a very busy road and there is usually a couple of people around and lots of houses lined up on the east side of the park. Many people worry way too much about crimes committed by strangers when that is the least likely thing to happen. You are much more likely to be a victim of someone you know.
  • Lovemeloveme101
    Options
    Im going to look for Pepper Spray too (:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You could always ask them for a dog! :laugh:
  • Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    worriers will worry.
    I worry about my husband running alone in the early AM. he runs in a very safe neighborhood, is 6'4" and 220 lb and knows how to handle himself. but he is my *everything* so I worry.
    I worry putting my kids on the schoolbus too.
    but, though a ship may be safe in the harbor, it does not belong there. how old are you? at some point your parents have to grow up. can you find a running partner? they may be less concerned if you are not alone. or maybe they can join you? what parent of a young adult would turn down a request to spend more time together?
  • FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You could always ask them for a dog! :laugh:
    or if one of your neighbours has a dog, ask if you can borrow it every morning as a running buddy!
  • mizzoudays
    mizzoudays Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Remind them that you are more likely to get hurt driving to the gym.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump for the handy tips.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think the comment about borrowing a dog from a neighbor if you can't get your own, is great idea!!! But if that's not possible , I think the pepper spray is a great idea! I got mine at a sporting goods store
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Don't take music/headphones. Ever. You need to be aware of your surroundings. Also, take a flashlight and maze. I also keep my keys in my hand and keep them in my fingers to jab at any time. Also, tell momma that crime is very low in the early mornings :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    pepper spray is illegal in some areas, and without proper training i's a good way to guarantee you use it against yourself.

just be aware of your surroundings and use your common sense when out .

and how old are you OP? i hope you're under 18 otherwise i dont quite understand where the "let me" belongs in your vocab