22 with a troubled past

Options
hello my name is christie, and i need to lose about 100 pounds to be healthy. I started gaining weight when i was a child. My sister is skinnier than me because she started losing weight after my abusive dad repeatedly called her a fatty. My mom is overweight and admits to being addicted to food. She is who i learned my eating habits from. My dad told me i would end up just like her, and in that respect, i am living up to his words. Since both my parents were physically and emotionally abusive, i grew up with little respect for myself and my own body. I started self-harming at the age of 14 but have not cut myself in many months. Now it is time for me to stop hurting myself by eating unhealthily. I know now that I am worth it and can do better for myself. I hope i can gain and give support through this website.

Replies

• KrissyD70
    Options
    Your post almost made me cry. I am so sorry for your sad childhood. I also had a hard childhood but now that we are adults we need to parent ourselves (because our parents couldn't or wouldn't) and learn to take care of ourselves. You started by not cutting now you can lose weight. Do it for yourself, not to spite your dad. Do it for you! Friend request me if you would like.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you have been though so much but still came out the other side and want to make a change!
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Remember, you are not your past. It's a really great step that you're here and realize you need to take care of you. I know from experience that the past can interfere with everything you do...if you let it. I recently read a book called, Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth. It's a wonderful book that gives you great ideas about being kind to yourself. If you'd like to friend me, I'd be happy to help any way I can.
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    You are worth it. You have a great attitude to make a change! I wish you all the best on your journey to a healthy you! Blessed be!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Remember, you are not your past. It's a really great step that you're here and realize you need to take care of you. I know from experience that the past can interfere with everything you do...if you let it. I recently read a book called, Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth. It's a wonderful book that gives you great ideas about being kind to yourself. If you'd like to friend me, I'd be happy to help any way I can.

Yes, get this book! It helps you understand why you are eating when you are not hungry.....I had to face some demons.....mine were mini compared to what you have been through. You are on the other side of it now. Geneen Roth shares that you are not defined by others comments about you or the way they treat you. You are you....and I think you are pretty darned special! Congrats on your step forward and upward! :flowerforyou: (There is a discussion board on Women, Food and God. I am not sure if anyone is still discussing but it may be helpful for you to read the questions as you read the book. Look under Motivation and Support. :heart:
  • cedes123
    cedes123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    reading your post made me sad but I am glad that you are overcoming it and moving on. Good for you put the past behind and stay strong!! Good luck with everything!!!!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I am so proud of you for wanting to take care of yourself!!!! You deserve to prove to yourself that you are more than your past, that you are worth everything in the world! :-)

I didn't have a bad childhood, but its been about 5 years since last I cut myself,roughly 2 years since I last self-mutilated, and about 3 years since I stopped drinking to ease my pain. So, while I can't completely understand what you've gone through (no one can), I can understand some. :-)

You are stronger than you know. Feel free to friend me if you want someone in your corner. :-)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck to you!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sending you a H U G ! Can't imagine how difficult it has been for you, but applaud your focus on improving your health. I am hopeful that you have sought either professional or clergy help to deal with the emotional baggage. MFP is great for providing you with support and encouragement on your weight loss journey. Don't be too tough on yourself...just take it one day at a time. You can do it!
  • foodfighter001
    Options
    I have not been on this website for long, but I can tell u the motivation is amazing! You are already stonger than you know, I am sure after what you have been thru! Congrats on wanting to make so many good changes. U can friend request me :)
  • krisakira
    Options
    Thanks for all the welcomes, support, and encouragement!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you for sharing about yourself. There are so many of us who will encourage and support you on this journey. Read the book mentioned and learn that what is ahead of you is so much better than what is behind.
    I will be praying for you to find friends who you can help and they can help you. Please feel free to send me a friend request if you want.
    linda