Question about vitamins.

Options
I have heard some contradictions about vitamins. I was wondering if anyone had found some vitamins that help promote weight loss, energy, appetite control, etc. I heard B-12 is really good. I don't want to take 400 different vitamins, but then again I don't want to take a multivitamin if I don't need the "other" stuff as much! I know it is always really good to take all kinds of vitamins, but too much can be bad too; so they say!

Replies

• kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    I honestly don't like vitamins. Whenever I take them, I literally can't go to the bathroom for 3 days. So I just stopped taking them all together and I am doing just fine :) The one pill I do recommend is fish oil, helps with your joints!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    exactly you dont need vitamins if you are eating right.............
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    good food is better than a pill...
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    vitamins are expensive! Trust me I know, I am deficient in B12, D and iron. I eat a healthy diet and all but I still have to make up for those 3 with vitamins and each bottle is about $12. I can do so many more fun things with $12 than buy vitamins every month lol You would know if you were deficient and needed them.

Like kiern mentioned though fish oil is great for sticky joints and dry hair and skin! Careful though, I only take one cap 1 or 2 caps a week, they will really grease up your hair if you take them too often.
  • Daniel_C_Cini_88
    Daniel_C_Cini_88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unless you know through blood tests that your body needs them why would you take them? Eating healthily lots of fresh veg and a well balanced diet with lots of sun you should do fine. As they have up the D Vit levels you might find (unless you are a sun lover) a bit low there which can cause a heap of things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1t9WqOD-0

There has been talk that woman who have mulit vit a day was at more risk of getting cancer. Wether that is hype from the anit vit companies I don't know. They also say its just gives you expensive urine.

But I believe if you feel better with what you are taking then its working they then say its a placebo effect ah cant win just do what you feel. If you are worrying about what helps to lose weight there are a million things advertised that say they do, where do you start?

Like kiern I do think fish oil Omega 3 helps aid in preventing or controlling several severe health conditions such as heart disease, cancer (with particularly emphasis on breast, prostate and colon cancer), bowl disease, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, osteoporosis and even arthritis. These same fatty-acids have also been proven to be beneficial in handling such mental conditions as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression, as well as boosting the immune system and aiding weight loss. As the brain is largely composed of fatty acids, the under-consumption of Omega-3 fatty acid can lead to a number of cognitive, behavioural and memory-related deficiencies. But do some research and get one without preservatives, sulphites and any nasties you don't need.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    The best way is to get vitamins and minerals from food. But having said that, a multivitamin every day isn't going to hurt, and may help. It's very cheap insurance. An adult's dose of a children's multivitamin every day will set you back a nickel.

And no, no, no, there is no vitamin, or any other pill, that will promote weight loss, energy, appetite control, or anything else of the sort. Sorry, there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny either.