Tips on eating non-genetically modified foods

Options
neil4ad
neil4ad Posts: 42 Member
Given the ongoing debates about GMO foods, and the as of yet inconclusive evidence that they are safe, I've opted to avoid all GMO products. This link has been useful for me:

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Genetically-Modified-Foods

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Easiest way: Grow your own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much the only way to be safe. I sprout my own greens.
    Easiest way: Grow your own.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What if the seeds you purchase are GMO's? Mostly every crop, even grown in your own garden, is genetically modified. Try to not get most of your information from wikihow...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting on conclusive evidence that water is safe. Until then I'll drink beer.
  • epccoo
    epccoo Posts: 4
    Options
    I read foodbabe.com and 100daysofrealfood.com in regards to non GMO foods. Love Michael Pollan's books too; he's a great read if you want to know about real food. Can't forget the documentary Food, Inc. check that out too!
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Awesome, great post!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    he's a great read if you want to know about real food.
    GMO's are real food. Ever have a seedless orange or grape? How is that not defined as real food?

IDEA Fitness member
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting on conclusive evidence that water is safe. Until then I'll drink beer.

I'm with you on this one.

*eyes water wearily* I just know it's up to no good.
  • neil4ad
    Options
    What if the seeds you purchase are GMO's? Mostly every crop, even grown in your own garden, is genetically modified. Try to not get most of your information from wikihow...
    I don't get most of my info from Wikihow. Here's a resource for getting non-GMO seeds:

http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/ViewPage.aspx?pageId=261
  • neil4ad
    Options
    he's a great read if you want to know about real food.
    GMO's are real food. Ever have a seedless orange or grape? How is that not defined as real food?

IDEA Fitness member

Seedless fruits are produced by increasing the number of chromosomes in the plant. Chomosome doubling is accomplished through manipulation, yes, but the plant is not considered genetically modified. Genetically modified plants have DNA from a different species inserted into the genome. Bt Corn* is GMO because it has bacterial DNA inserted into it to act as an insecticide. Seedless fruits are not GMO because they do not have foreign DNA, just extra chromosomes.

* Bt Corn: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef130.asp

(I will take off the nerd hat now!)
  • ohtobe140
    ohtobe140 Posts: 93
    Options
    any certified organic food is not GMO; any food under the Trader Joe's Brand is certified GMO free. Any food on the shelves under national brands that contains corn and soy, that are NOT organic mostly likely contain GMO corn and soy. GMO wheat is in the process of getting passed (or maybe has passed) by the FDA, this couldn't be a worse decision. All livestock feed where the meat will not be labeled as organic is made with GMO corn, which means the meat you are eating is contaminated as well. GMO potatoes will soon be sold at WalMart without being labeled which means you won't even have the choice to not buy them except to, in fact, no buy them.

Here is the list of produce codes so you can make the best purchasing decision for you and your family.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/produce.asp

And note in the snopes article that not all GMO foods are labeled, they are currently not required to labeled by law... organic is your best bet for safe food.
  • neil4ad
    Options
    any certified organic food is not GMO; any food under the Trader Joe's Brand is certified GMO free. Any food on the shelves under national brands that contains corn and soy, that are NOT organic mostly likely contain GMO corn and soy. GMO wheat is in the process of getting passed (or maybe has passed) by the FDA, this couldn't be a worse decision. All livestock feed where the meat will not be labeled as organic is made with GMO corn, which means the meat you are eating is contaminated as well. GMO potatoes will soon be sold at WalMart without being labeled which means you won't even have the choice to not buy them except to, in fact, no buy them.

Here is the list of produce codes so you can make the best purchasing decision for you and your family.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/produce.asp

And note in the snopes article that not all GMO foods are labeled, they are currently not required to labeled by law... organic is your best bet for safe food.

That's a useful link. The bill that passed in Congress that allows distributors to _not_ label GMO foods can, as I understand it, be challenged in six months-time, so there is some hope that consumers will be allowed some choice in purchasing.