5'7" plateaus....

Options
Hey all,

I'm wondering where you hit your plateaus in the weight loss scheme. More specifically what your daily calorie intake/activity level is so I can reference a ballpark.

I am not super interested in anyone who eats less than 1500 NET calories, because I"m not going to starve myself and by calculators between 1430 and 1560 is BMR.

I started at 196 (uh) and right now I'm at 155 (so you can guess I'm on the last 10 pounds). I lift heavy 2-3x a week. I haven't dropped below 153 since february. but haven't gone above 159 (thank god. I don't want to get back in the 60s! )

so, TL:DR -- at what weight did you stall out.

Replies

• mattashbrock
    Options
    I am 5'6" and started at 195. I have been at 176 for like 6 weeks. I know it doesn't help you any with your current plateau, but was wondering if you had any other plateaus on your journey. Seems we have similar goals.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I have been pretty lucky thus far. I lost pretty steadily from October - December. January 1st I weighed 159- lost steadily 153. went back up to 155. and was literally 155.0 from February to April. All of April I decided not to weigh myself and got back on the scale in May and have been hovering between 156 and 159. never more, never less.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I started at 215 and plateaued hard for six weeks at 180. I was eating around 1200 calories. I started losing again after I upped my cals to 1600/day. My advice when you hit a plateau is to eat more. Usually the closer you get to your goal the harder your body holds on to the last remaining pounds. Trick your body into thinking food is plentiful and in my experience, you will start to lose the weight again. Keep exercising to keep that metabolism going as well. I am at 168 now and am steadily dropping whether I exercise or not.
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and I started at 223lbs last May. I've been on a plateau since January and haven't been able to get under 163lbs. I've been between 163-166 for four months and I even did Insanity in that time. I go to the gym or exercise about 6 days a week (45-65 min) and I eat around 1600-1900 calories a day. I just recently started a weight training program because I think I just have excessive fat to lose. While the scale isn't budging, I am losing inches. It really sucks obsessing over the scale. Hopefully this new weight training routine will get me shredded.
  • ohliamylia
    ohliamylia Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm currently stalled around 167-168. It's starting to drive me crazy. I eat about 1200 calories a day and go for a jog every other day (working on c25k). For a little while at the beginning of c25k I was doing 30 Day Shred on the off days, I should get back into that, see if that doesn't jump start something.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never had plateaus. I just slowed WAY down the closer I got to goal. I could go for a few weeks with no change at all and then suddenly drop a couple of pounds overnight. The closer I got to goal, the higher I would raise my cals so as I approached the end, my calories were almost to my goal maintenance level. It all eventually came off, though it was slow at times. Patience is key.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at 185 in January. I'm currently at 154, also close to goal (I'm 5'7'' as well). I haven't had any plateaus. I had a slowdown about ten pounds ago where I got kind of complacent with my calorie counting/ measuring and only lost a pound a week. I bought a BodyMediaFit and buckled down on my weighing/logging/tracking and since then have lost 2 lbs per week like clockwork.

I don't have a set number of calories I consume each day I just maintain a set deficit (which I'm about to start decreasing as I'm getting close to goal). I burn anywhere from 2200 to 3300 calories each day so my calorie consumption is anywhere from 1200 to 2300 calories each day. It works really well for me.

Best of luck!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Question....please forgive my ignorance, but are you all talking about eating those calories or "netting" them? If I want to exercise...which I do almost every day, I find it very difficult to net bmr, never mind my tdee -20% goal. Sigh.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    thanks all!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I've been stalled in the 150's for about a year. I use the term stall loosely, though, as I know the reason why I'm always backtracking is due to overindulging on weekends. I eat 1800 a day and will lose on that if I stick with it. I lift 4x per week and do cardio 4x week.

That being said, during my entire journey (started over 200) I stalled about every 10 lbs which was typically solved by switching something up in my diet or exercise routine. Its been a long learning process.
  • brittanyellenrae
    brittanyellenrae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started at 210 and plateaued at around 175-180 for about two months. I started to eat a bit more, my BMR is about 1600 and I tried to eat 1700-1800 and drink lots of water and good whole foods and since then I've had steady weight loss again.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I stalled out for 4 weeks at 172-175 and had to decrease my cals by 200 (net) to get it to budge last week. But I'm curious to see if that will continue to work for week 2 post plateau!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I stalled at 151 a little over a year ago and stayed there for three months. I did slowly start to raise my calories at that time too, because I was very close to goal weight. (I'm about 5'7")
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7", late twenties, and started at 195lbs in March, 2013. I plateaued between 141-145 lbs from Sept. 2013 - Jan. 2014 and have just recently (within the past week) broke the plateau and am now 137lbs. I eat roughly 1500 calories, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how busy I am with my kids. I eat what I want, when I want so long as I stay as close to 1500 as possible.
    Edit: I forgot to add that I choose NOT to eat back exercise calories as I cannot accurately state how much I've burned as all my cardio is done through jumping jacks and running on the spot, and heavy weight lifting. I also do not have a heart rate monitor (not sure if that's what they're called) to monitor the # of calories burned.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a diet break yet?

2 weeks at maintenance is the plateau prescription.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13/view/reflections-on-maintenance-diet-break-427880
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a diet break yet?

2 weeks at maintenance is the plateau prescription.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13/view/reflections-on-maintenance-diet-break-427880

that. is. awesome.

thank you!
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I, too, am 5'7" and have been on a plateau for what seems like years. I want to be at 130-140, but I'm at 165 right now, the highest I've ever been. I exercise 6 days a week -- lifting 3 times a week, circuit training and cardio on the other days -- and try to eat healthy. I think I'm doing it right, but my scale disagrees. I thought the last time I weighed that maybe my measurements had gone down, but those had actually gone UP. I try to keep to 1700 calories a day, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays I stick to 1000 or less, and I hardly ever eat back exercise calories -- maybe just on weekends. I'll support you if you support me!