Strength training

Options
I'm looking to start incorporating strength training into my exercise regimen...any solid tips/advice for women? Thanks!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Bump.....I have same question so am waiting for replies also :)
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    Yes, the The New Rules of Lifting for Women - AWESOME book and there are whole forums on here dedicated to it!
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I liked The New Rules of Lifting for Women too. Also 4 Hour Body has some great chapters on simple but highly effective strength training routines for women. Also I recommend using Fitocracy - it's a more strength training oriented website and has some great communities for women who lift.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Just this: there is a difference between "resistance" training and "strength" training. There are many who believe they are strength training by using the same weight resistance with no intention of increasing the poundage. If one is training that way, they are just "resistance" training. To increase strength, weight resistance progressively increases (to a point). Training in this manner is "strength" training.
    Don't be afraid to gain strength. It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be increasing muscle size along with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ptxfan
    ptxfan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For myself I have seen a lot of changes when I started with Jari Love's Slim and Lean. I haven't been able to stick to it though... There is a guide on her website about doing strength training 3x a week then cardio the rest of the week with 2 days rest.....Just got the Chalean Extreme set.... hoping to be able to follow this to see more changes...
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    Just this: there is a difference between "resistance" training and "strength" training. There are many who believe they are strength training by using the same weight resistance with no intention of increasing the poundage. If one is training that way, they are just "resistance" training. To increase strength, weight resistance progressively increases (to a point). Training in this manner is "strength" training.
    Don't be afraid to gain strength. It doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be increasing muscle size along with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

LOVE this, SO true! Lift heavy, and increase often!