how to convince my parent to let me run alone?

Options
2»

Replies

• paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You could always ask them for a dog! :laugh:
    or if one of your neighbours has a dog, ask if you can borrow it every morning as a running buddy!

Love this idea! Maybe make a little extra dog walking? :laugh:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your age, I'd guess that you are in your late teens. Let her know that if she's concerned, she is always welcome to go with you or follow you in her car.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    there was another post similar to this about running with dogs.

People suggested knives, guns, pepperspray....the problem with all these is that if you don't know how to control the item you will probably lose control and then your attacker might get the weapon.

So my suggestion is take some self defense classes. And my friend says "elbows are your best friend." Elbows to the face and the sternum will do wonders!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    or if one of your neighbours has a dog, ask if you can borrow it every morning as a running buddy!

hey, i get $10 to take canine entertainment along. my own dog is too old to try and run a 10k. but when my neighbor is busy, i get to take his dog along. win win.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Get a Road ID. Take a cell phone. Show your parents your planned route, and stress that you are responsible enough to stick to it.

If you have a smartphone, use one of the available "tracking apps" that allows them to check in on you while you are out.
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow. My first thought was about wild animals, not creepy stalkers. Then again, I live in Canada and worry about my mom running on forest trails and being attacked by a cougar.

Lots of good ideas here. The dog sounds like the best one. Is there some sort of history of female runners being attacked before 9am in your area?
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options

hey, i get $10 to take canine entertainment along. my own dog is too old to try and run a 10k. but when my neighbor is busy, i get to take his dog along. win win.

This is a fantastic idea! There has to be some dogs out there in the neighborhood who are dying to go for a run with you. I used to go for a walk every night with my dachshund (don't knock a dachshund - they walk faster than you think). When she died last year, so went my heart and my motivation to continue walking.
  • faithcraft
    faithcraft Posts: 14
    Options
    My miniature doxies walk me! They go pretty fast with their short legs. I have a daughter that is 17. We live in what I believe is a safe neighborhood. I would not want her running alone.. especially late evening or early morning.. Find a friend to run with. Maybe your mother could go with you?? I like the idea of a dog.. mine are the berries to walk with- although we are running a good part of the time. They can go a little farther than me. You may need a bigger dog if you are going long distance. Have you considered running at a gym? I don't want anyone to live a life of fear ..but.. I would be concerned for your safety.;
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've tried to take my dog on a run/walk...for some reason he won't keep up! He can run like the wind mind you...I think he just hates structured exercise! :noway: :grumble:
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    I didn't see how old you are, but if you are an adult, it's time for your parents to realize they are no longer in control of your life.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A whistle and pepper spray. Or why not invite one of them to run with you?
  • janebshaw
    Options
    A whistle and pepper spray. Or why not invite one of them to run with you?

Unless your parents are runners, they probably could not keep up with you, and would slow you down.

Just try and stay in reasonably safe areas, carry a pepper spray if it's legal in your area, and if your parents can't deal with the idea of you running alone, make that a topic you refuse to discuss with them.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Maybe one of your parents (or both) would be OK to ride their bike with you while you run. No way could I run for a couple hours every morning after my daughter, but I could probably do it on a bike.
  • janebshaw
    Options
    I am assuming that you are an adult. So you don't need your parent's permission to run by yourself. That's what you need to tell them, or they will try and control every aspect of your life that you let them.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    does she let you drive alone? Driving is more dangerous than running. Is she living in a state of sheesh-I-shouldn't-do-anything-because-something-bad-will-happen? Is she suggesting that she runs with you? What is her fear exactly? What's yours, if any?