Army Wife Ready for CHANGE!

Options
Hello everyone! I've been browsing this site that was actually referred to me by a friend whos lost 60 lbs so far and she really inspired me! While signing up i realized that my mom was also a member and added her and was happy to see some familar faces and people to help me with my weightloss journey! My husband is in the Army and is going to be going on his 3rd deployment at the end of this year I want more than anything to shed my weight while he's gone and kind of keep it a secret and get fit and feel better about myself...I'm thinking how AWESOME it will be to suprise him when he steps off that plane to see the 'new' me after his year is up!=) If anyone has any advice tips recipies great snacks exercise success stories i'm all for them! Can't wait to stay connected through this site and track my daily exercise and start making small goals to reach the BIG one! =)

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you and your hubby for your service!

Move more, eat less . . . it is the simple equation that works. Any time you want to eat something, do the exercise FIRST. You will learn that the doughnut is not worth the 30 minutes of elliptical or 45 minute walk. For most people it is not the normal daily food that is the issue, it is the treats. For some it beer (me), for some it is salty snacks, for some it is sweets, but it can all be replaced with better choices.
  • Cassandra1219
    Options
    Wow that would be a awesome surprise:) My hubby is in the Marines and 5 years ago while he was deployed I did the same thing.. although made it hard when he wanted to see me on the webcam... had to throw some big sweats on..lol:)
  • dhartswifey
    Options
    I like that "move more eat less" cutting out different sodas will be the biggest step for me! I've done it before so i know i can do it again its just very hard at first! time for WATER!=)

That's awesome! How suprised was he!? How much did you loose when you suprised him!? I've thought ab the skype thing too seeing me on the cam but thats a good idea do big sweats or something to hide the progress!=) I'm sooo excited to start working towards my goals! Now time to make mini goals before the big one! I also LOVEE zumba so that will be something to switch up my workout! Thanks for responding!
  • dhartswifey
    Options
    anyone else have any fun new ideas for loosing weight?! I'm so excited to get started and get back on track! It's nice to have a support group of people that are going through the same thing as me! I can't wait to suprise my husband once he returns I think it will be priceless! Has anyone else done anything neat or special like that or shocked someone with your weightloss that you haven't seen in a while!? So fun! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is in the Marines and he is overseas till around the end of this year. He keeps telling me that I will not recognize him because he is getting super muscles from working out. What I have not told him is that I am also working hard to get healthier. So I cannot wait for him to get home and be surprised.

What I enjoy the most is the classes that are offered at the gym, they are fun and make the time go by fast. My favorite is chizel (a step class) and spin. I am sure you have access to the gym so definitely give them a try. I also just stopped eatting out. Helps save money and from wanting to go the easy way of fast food. Its hard to choose good food when its fast food. If I know I work the next week I make foods ahead of time to take for lunch and dinner. Especially because it can be really hard for me to resist Starbucks pastries.

Good Luck you can do it!!!!
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were seperated while in training for the Army. When I went to Basic I was 172 and when I finished I had gotten down to 157, not a huge leap but my waist was 27 inches and so cute. My husband couldn't keep his hands off me the first time we got to see each other. I was hanging around 200 before I decided I didn't want to be a chubby bartender forever. I cut the beer and the soda from my diet and began working out mostly walking at 4.0 with a slight incline 4 days a week. I lost the 30 lbs in 5 months and looked like a different person. The Army's physical training just polished me up.

Fast forward 3 1/2 years and things are much different. Big bumps hit me and I am now 230 (ive lost 14lbs since starting.) I love the dance classes at the gym and also dvds. Find out if they offer any classes on post. They did at Fort Bragg and they were free. Also there are tons of walking/running groups on each posts for wives. If you guys aren't in Army housing talk to the Family Readiness or the FRG to point you in the direction of a fitness group. Plus I doubt you are the only wife in his unit that is trying to undertake this makeover. Ask around and see if you can find a partner in crime.

Good LUCK!!!