Chickpeas: There MUST be an easier way (with recipe)

Options
stef_monster
stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
I've never made hummus before in my life, despite being an avid fan. Today I forgot to buy it at the store, so I decided it was a good time to try. Most recipes and tips I found said to peel the beans before putting them in the food processor.

Oh. My. Garbanzos. It's a miracle hummus doesn't cost $100 per tub with all the work that was! Unless there's an easier way? Is there some amazing kitchen gadget out there that I need? Some kind of magical or scientific way to get the hulls off these things in a hurry? I used canned chickpeas, so maybe there's a difference if they're dried.

Despite me being completely fed up by the time it was over, the hummus turned out great for a first try. I didn't have any tahini, so I subbed in avocado to make it smoother.

1 can drained (and peeled) garbanzo beans- I used a low-sodium variety
1 ripe avocado (about 100 grams)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper
1/2 teaspoon cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
***Optional: if you like it spicy, add in 1-3 La Costena Chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce.

Blend it all together in a blender or food processor until it's smooth. Adjust water as needed for consistency.
Mine made 10 servings of 40 grams. Each serving is 71 calories.

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    What patience you must have! I have never peeled my chickpeas. The food processor blends them right in.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Had no idea you had to peel them if you started dry. Yes, I would've thought you could leave them on and blend them right up.
  • amyyeary71
    amyyeary71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am with "vegan4lyfe201"...I make this regularly for myself and family....In the food processor (I have even used my blender) it smooths them out perfectly. I have used chicpeas (garbanzos) for traditional....and I also use white beans for a cilantro/lime hummas. If its too thick...add a little more EVOO or lime juice (or whatever other flavor liquid you are using in that particular recipe). Good luck! You should be a great succuss at my fitness pal if you have the dedication to peal those beans! :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I always cook my chickpeas from dry :)
  • happy_grandma_phenix
    Options
    I have a recipe for hummus but have'nt made it yet.
    I have kidney disease and need to stay away from
    too much animal protein. Does hummus have alot
    of protein? Just needing help with a good meatless
    diet. Thanks
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make hummus all the time and it's super fast and easy. Don't peel the beans.
    Either used canned and ready to go, or soak the dried ones over night, cook them in the morning and then use them if you
    want some without the sodium.

Making hummus shouldn't take more than a few minutes