Pregnancy & weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No. Forget about it during pregnancy honestly. Your baby will NEED vitamins and minerals and by reducing intake you greatly increase the chance of that not happening.

Your 3 month desire for fat loss could affect the child for his entire life.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was told to try to keep the weight gain between 15 - 20 pounds being overweight to begin with. I walked everyday and was able to keep within that number. When I came home from the hospital, I was only 4 lbs over what my starting weight was and lost those extra 4 lbs within 2 weeks.
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    don't try to lose weight during pregnancy, really dangerous and not recommended at all. talk to your doctor about what would be a healthy amount of weight gain for you instead. try to eat healthy and exercise, but focus more on keeping weight gain within that specified healthy range your doctor recommends instead of focusing on losing weight. your body puts on weight in pregnancy for a reason, because it is healthy for you and your baby.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Losing weight should not be what to focus on when you're pregnant. On a side note though, my mom lost 35 pounds when she was pregnant with me. BUT, she has a LOT of extra weight and when she found out she was pregnant, she changed to diet to mainly fruits and vegetables.

Just be careful.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Definitely discuss with your doctor they have your blood work and history.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    With both of my last pregnancies I was overweight by quite a bit and my doctor told me it was fine if I lost weight as long as I wasn't trying to - meaning as long as was eating properly (I had to keep a food journal for her) then she was fine with it. She didn't want me to gain weight if possible. But I agree with everyone that encourages you to work with your doctor. Whether it is a good idea for you will depend on several factors, including how overweight you are.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    PLEASE TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO LOSE WEIGHT WHILE PREGNANT NO MATER HOW OVERWEIGHT YOU MAY BE.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've been given the okay to lose weight while pregnant, but I'm focusing on getting at least 2000 cals a day and exercising at a comfortable pace for about 45 minutes every other day. My weight has been slowly dropping over the last several weeks. I'm not focused on weight loss so much as maintaining fitness and eating a sensible amount of calories.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in my 1st trimester and would like to loose a little more wight before my 2nd and 3rd. As I'd like to reduce my bmi to help keep my weight down to reduce risks associated with being over weight. Also don't want too much to loose after the baby is born.

Anyone else pregnant?!

How are you getting on?

Does anyone have good tips?

Congrats!! It's best to talk to your Doctor for advice during this time. Best wishes:flowerforyou:

:-) thank you
  • gisele246
    gisele246 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had bmi of 31 with 2nd and they told me not to eat under 2000 cals. However I tried to stay around that number. Try keeping your carbs to 45 per meal. Research the gestational diabetes diet. I had to do it anyway with my 1st so I figure it can't hurt. I would talk to your dr though to see if they have specific recommendations. I don't think you should force weight loss though. Eat healthy and if it happens great.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    People are right that losing weight should not be your concern right now. What should be your concern is eating HEALTHY! Once I got pregnant I ate better than before and ended up losing weight my first trimester but because I was still eating healthy, my doctor said it was fine. Once my little guy was born, I ended up 25 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant, and only had a total weight gain of 6 pounds at 41 weeks. You dont have to get super huge throughout pregnancy as long as you are eating smart. REmember people say you are technically eating for two, but the little one inside doesnt really need much! :) You can give in to the cravings, but just remember like every other day, moderation is the key! My current fertility doctor actually told me I should start eating like I was already pregnant and I probably wouldnt need as many medicines to try again!! HAHA!
  • lorilwayne2
    lorilwayne2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Having been awhile since Ihad babies I will say that I know the thinking has changed somewhat. I agree it is best to talk to your doctor. A lot of how little weight he/she will be ok with you gaining depends on your starting point. Instead of thinking about loosing weight think maybe about eating healthier and trying to get into physical shape before the 2nd and 3rd trimester. I gained varying amounts of weight with each pregnancy. I can honestly say it was the only time in my life I could eat whatever I wanted and didn't gain much weight. Unfortunately in the end I always had 10 lbs to loose afterwards... don't know how that worked out but that is how it worked out.

Good luck and focus more on your overall health and not the weight loss process.
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Being at a better fitness level with help with delivery but I don't think you should make weight loss a big goal. Just exercise and eat healthy. Losing a bit of weight while pregnant shouldn't be a cause for concern, but it also shouldn't be a focus. Take the pregnancy as a good motivation to change your lifestyle -eating and exercising habits- and then you will be ready to let all the weight melt off afterwards (and hopefully you won't gain almost 100 lbs like I did).
  • lorilwayne2
    lorilwayne2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Anyone else pregnant?! Not right now- thankfully. I have had 4 pregnancies though.

Does anyone have good tips? My best suggestions is to eat healthy and continue with exercise. Quit smoking if you do and talk to your doctor about these concerns. The doctor will be able to give you the best advice on the right amount of weight to gain throughout the pregnancy. It isn't uncommon to loose weight in the first trimester due to morning sickness.
  • koreys1990
    koreys1990 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 35 lbs since October of last year and most of that has been while i was pregnant, for anyone who tells me that's not healthy, first off i don't eat like i used to.. i used to eat anything and everything in sight. What i do eat that's not healthy isn't very much, because I have finally realized that eating until you feel like your about to explode isn't healthy. Whats healthy is eating the right sized portions and not just eating cause Im bored or sad..