looking for some help

Options
hey everyone i just started using this site today... I currently weigh 275 pounds and im 31 years old... any suggestions on how to start??... ive been feeling so down i just was hoping to find people in the same situation...

Replies

• dru8376
    dru8376 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Sending you a friend request
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Hi I have just started too and could do with the support , also have a broken ankle so my exercise options are limited, any help would be appreciated! I have 80 lbs to lose
  • mdoyle28
    mdoyle28 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP:). My suggestion is to make sure you log everything and follow what MFP tells you as far as calorie and other nutritional info. I personally don't eat back all of my exercise calories though, everyone is a little different with this but I see it pointless to eat if I am not hungry so therefore I don't. I wish u the best and stay focused! Sending a friend request!
  • trouble_maker1313
    Options
    Welcome! It's my first day as well. I've sent you a friend request :)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Start right at the beginning. Your post asking for help is *perfect*.

When it comes down to it, it's really quite simple. You need to eat less & move more. Other people can walk you through setting up your MFP info (it's been a long time since I did that & I'd be no good to you), then you'll have your calorie goal for each day. Get healthy food - stay away from fast food & processed food. Eat lots of fruit & veggies. Log everything you eat. My food diary is open (click on my profile to get there) so you can see examples of what I eat every day.

You need to exercise too. Start off with walking. But get some good cardio in. Run! You can do it!
  • gianni5555
    gianni5555 Posts: 3
    Options
    lets all get started :)
  • didzyuna
    didzyuna Posts: 10
    Options
    welcome!! :) my second day here... :) friend request sent
  • satxdc99
    satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will send you a friend request. Don't overwhelm yourself. Start out slow.
  • Pumpitusa
    Pumpitusa Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on for a week now, the tools here are great. Be sure to log all you eat,ïts a real eye opener". Because I log on religiously I am always away of what I eat when I go out because i DON'T want my counts to go in the red. I tried to do this alone, I even created a microsoft access database to track my food and exercise. But without the support it didnt really work. Now that I have support of other people trying to get healthy, it seems to be much easier. I feel like I can finally succeed. I lost 5 pounds just watching what I ate, through this site. Its the best thing since slided bread. I am shooting to lose 125lbs. Good luck to you
  • pat5168
    pat5168 Posts: 1
    Options
    Exercise really is not all that critical for weight loss. Most people have a problem of vastly underestimating how much they're eating throughout the day. I would suggest going a day without changing a thing about how you're eating but recording all of it on here. And I mean all of it, down to that piece of gum and any supplements you take even if they're only 5 calories. I lost most of my weight without using this website and I kicked myself for not finding it sooner. I got the results I hoped for after losing 53 lbs in 5 months, but since I was just eating so little it was probably very detrimental for my health and I probably lost a good deal of muscle doing so.

Firstly, how quickly do you want to lose fat? Half a pound a week? One? Maybe even two pounds? A pound of fat generally contains 3500 calories in energy, so if you find out how much you burn a day, just subtract 250, 500, 750, etc. from your daily caloric expenditures. Burning 500 calories a day for a week would theoretically cause you to lose 1lb of fat because 7x500 = 3500. Simple. You'll find it easier to lose weight early on because you burn more calories the heavier you are, so make sure you update how much you weigh on here.

There's so much more for me to go over, so you can just message me for further questions and advice else I risk jamming too much information into one comment.
  • jjkarnitz
    jjkarnitz Posts: 55
    Options
    Welcome. You have taken the all important first step! Add me as a friend. I will help you with any questions I can answer. Even though it might be overwhelming now, if you do this, you will look back on this day as the one when you chose to change your life! There are some things I would suggest for your success, which you may already know, some of which others may have mentioned...
    1. Protein is your friend. Especially when starting out, the more lean protein you eat, the longer you will stay full. Eat it with a bit of healthy fat like a few almonds and it'll go even longer. Do you have blood sugar issues? If so, this strategy works for that too.
    2. Don't feel you have to be perfect every day, but LOG EVERY DAY. No one should judge you if you go over because we've all done it but doing it every day is the only way to know, every day, where you're at for calories.
    3. Measure your food at first if you don't already. This only has to be done at first and eventually you'll be able to eyeball it.
    4. You need to move your body! True, you can technically lose weight without it, but you can't build muscle and thus rev your metabolism without it. Plus, it helps your heart and your mind! Keep in mind that in my experience MFP overestimates the calories burned while exercising so I usually record fewer calories than it says to.
    5. Are you an emotional eater? Do you find that you can't stop eating certain foods once you start? I'm going to suggest something controversial here. You may want to eliminate those foods for a couple months. Just keep them out of your life for a bit so you can focus on getting healthy. Then when you've seen some success you can add these foods back in, in small amounts, within your control. It's not for everybody, but it worked for me.
    6. This is IMPORTANT: You did not gain weight because of what you ate on special occasions, holidays, etc. You gain weight because of what you consume in your every day life. The occasional splurge on holidays or family gatherings doesn't need to be sacrificed if you make sure that your regular every day routine is healthy. Just make sure to set some boundaries for yourself on what is a 'special occasion". For example, I consider holidays to be special occasions. Often I dine with my family on these days. But that DOESN'T mean that every time I dine with my parents is a reason to go off my plan.
    7. Equally important: You will have setbacks. But you are DOING this! And you will be successful if you just KEEP GOING.
  • hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think to start out and just log every single thing you eat is an awesome idea. It will help you see where you're going wrong and personally at first it helped me to see that I was honestly making more good choices than bad but there was definitely things I needed to work on.
  • hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You have taken the all important first step! Add me as a friend. I will help you with any questions I can answer. Even though it might be overwhelming now, if you do this, you will look back on this day as the one when you chose to change your life! There are some things I would suggest for your success, which you may already know, some of which others may have mentioned...
    1. Protein is your friend. Especially when starting out, the more lean protein you eat, the longer you will stay full. Eat it with a bit of healthy fat like a few almonds and it'll go even longer. Do you have blood sugar issues? If so, this strategy works for that too.
    2. Don't feel you have to be perfect every day, but LOG EVERY DAY. No one should judge you if you go over because we've all done it but doing it every day is the only way to know, every day, where you're at for calories.
    3. Measure your food at first if you don't already. This only has to be done at first and eventually you'll be able to eyeball it.
    4. You need to move your body! True, you can technically lose weight without it, but you can't build muscle and thus rev your metabolism without it. Plus, it helps your heart and your mind! Keep in mind that in my experience MFP overestimates the calories burned while exercising so I usually record fewer calories than it says to.
    5. Are you an emotional eater? Do you find that you can't stop eating certain foods once you start? I'm going to suggest something controversial here. You may want to eliminate those foods for a couple months. Just keep them out of your life for a bit so you can focus on getting healthy. Then when you've seen some success you can add these foods back in, in small amounts, within your control. It's not for everybody, but it worked for me.
    6. This is IMPORTANT: You did not gain weight because of what you ate on special occasions, holidays, etc. You gain weight because of what you consume in your every day life. The occasional splurge on holidays or family gatherings doesn't need to be sacrificed if you make sure that your regular every day routine is healthy. Just make sure to set some boundaries for yourself on what is a 'special occasion". For example, I consider holidays to be special occasions. Often I dine with my family on these days. But that DOESN'T mean that every time I dine with my parents is a reason to go off my plan.
    7. Equally important: You will have setbacks. But you are DOING this! And you will be successful if you just KEEP GOING.
    Also, all of this is amazing advice!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    The best way to get started is changing one thing at a time. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Avoid sodium. Eat more fresh fruits and veggies. Get some kind of exercise.
  • d1meshel
    d1meshel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    JUST START!
    Start logging ~everything~ you put in your mouth.
    e v e r y t h i n g!
    Dont give up. Do this for YOU. not a job, not a spouse, not for a swimsuit.... you.
    YOU are worth it. You are valuable. Take care of that body. It houses a rare wonderful treasure... you
  • sarahbernardi123
    sarahbernardi123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your not the only one don't worry! I am so glad there are so many other people looking to make a positive change!
  • loveanyway
    loveanyway Posts: 13
    Options
    -just start moving- walk, bike, lift weights, join classes at your gym, get workout dvd's etc.. if you can't do it to its fullest at first, do it modified until you can
    -keep track of what you eat
    -JUST KEEP GOING
    good luck~! sent you friend request :)
  • Darma1213
    Darma1213 Posts: 3
    Options
    Welcome! Im new here too :)