eating carbs after low carb=bloated stomach

Options
ktm96
ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
So I've been on a low carb diet for a while and lost some weight, when i decided to add some carbs back in, my stomach bloated and i gained 4 pounds.....could this be water weight? how can some girls have flat stomachs all the time? i want to eat carbs but i do not want the bloated stomach all the time. ive since stopped eating carbs since ive gained the 4 pounds a few days ago and im now down two pounds. i currently weigh 130 pounds but before i added carbs i was 127 and my waist and stomach was nice and thin/flat. how can i maintain that?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's water weight (glycogen). The reason you're so bloated is because your body isn't used to it yet. Eventually it'll go back to flat.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    What carbs did you add back in? Once you get back to flat, I would try the carbs out individually and see what happens. You might have an food intolerance that will cause you to bloat (wheat is a common culprit).
  • ktm96
    Options
    how long do you think its gonna take for my body to get used to?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    how long do you think its gonna take for my body to get used to?
    About a week, maybe less.
  • ktm96
    Options
    do you think itd be safe if i lost a few more pounds and say got down to 122 pounds so when i gained about 3-5 pounds of water weight id be at my goal weight?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    do you think itd be safe if i lost a few more pounds and say got down to 122 pounds so when i gained about 3-5 pounds of water weight id be at my goal weight?
    How tall are you?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Try adding carbs back slowly as the body needs time to adjust. However, you might find that keeping the diet wheat free is beneficial. Depending what you ate, it could be due to wheat irritating the bowel.
  • OriginalRedfishMan
    Options
    You might try adding low glycemic carbs first, brown rice, bulgur, lentils, etc. Lately I am beginning to believe that plenty of people have wheat or gluten sensitivity (not allergy) and just don't know it. The stomach definitely pulls in water when the carbs increase.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    stop worrying about scales.

Do your measurements actually change from one higher day of carbs? I highly doubt it.

You can experiment with eliminating different types of carbs from your refeed to see if you have any intolerance issues.
  • ktm96
    Options
    im 5"7
  • ktm96
    Options
    im not sure about if my measurements change, ill check on that when i add my carbs back in
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    add a little at a time, like 10g a meal. maybe 20 but thats a lot. really its whatever youre comfortable with. after my competition i was around 180 and i had to slowly make my way back up to 225g of carbs. its taken about 3weeks
  • ktm96
    Options
    have you experienced weight gain in adding carbs?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    yes. Every g of carbs holds 3g of water. If you are low carb and then have a high day you will retain water. It does not hinder fat lass if you are in a defict. (although it could be argued that if you are insulin resistant it wouldn't be ideal)
  • koko12
    Options
    have you experienced weight gain in adding carbs?

not sure if thats for me but for my show i was 10lbs lower than i am. but i dont mind. im building muscle right now. i can still see my abs and have a bunch of striations so i dont mind what the scale says. i pay attention to Body fat measurement and my strength
  • koko12
    Options
    [/quote]

not sure if thats for me but for my show i was 10lbs lower than i am. but i dont mind. im building muscle right now. i can still see my abs and have a bunch of striations so i dont mind what the scale says. i pay attention to Body fat measurement and my strength
    [/quote]

keep in mind i carb depleted, had a lower body fat and carb loaded for my show, as it is a staged look.