Need Shoe Recommedations

Options
So, here is my dillema. I have been doing the elliptical and now I'm alternating the treadmill (thanks to my mom or giving me hers). I have been getting shin splints and tingling in the balls of my feet. I'm pretty sure it's the shoes. I am currently wearing asics. Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• dragonfly_beach
    dragonfly_beach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Road Runner Sports dot com has "shoe dog" perfect fit finder. You can enter in your information and get recommendations. My all time favorite shoes are Saucony, then Mizuno and then New Balance.
    Good luck!!:smile:
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    I absolutely love Brooks. They have done wonders for my feet. If there is a store in your area that specializes in running I would go talk to them. The place in my town fitted me for my shoes and I haven't had any problems. As far as shin splints make sure you are doing a 5 minute warm up and cool down. The cool down is extremely important to decrease the chance of shin splints. Between the shoes and the warm up/cool down I haven't had shin splints since.
  • joifullee
    Options
    Shin splints can also be brought on by doing a movement that is newer to you. If running on the treadmill or doing the elliptical are things you recently started doing, your body can take time to warm up to these things. It could be the shoes, but I would first look at how you are performing these exercises (using brand new shoes can be painful as well). Firstly, are you coming down on the ball of your foot or your heel? Are you bending your knees enough to provide the necessary amount of shock resistance? Are your shoes tided too tight or too loose? When i have shin splints it helps to get a calf massage (great excuse for a spa day). Also jogging backwards helps to alleviate the pain (sounds weird but it works!). Also try lying on your back and warming up your calves before your workout with ankle circles. Lastly, if your problem persists, you MUST get it checked out, prolonged shin splints can lead to stress fractures which are zero fun.
    Hope this helps!