Putting back all the weight i've lost!

Options
:mad: i can't believe it!! My starting weight was 182lbs and within 4 weeks i was down to 176lbs. I woke up this morning, 5 weeks into weight loss and i'm back up to 180lbs!!! :mad: i have been trying so hard with this, I've had to sit in mcdonalds with my family and buy the little packets of fruit, i've been working out like theres no tomorrow... I just really don't understand

Replies

• temptations
    temptations Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It could be muscle, don't weigh yourself, measure instead! Don't starve yourself because you will eventually give in. i used to do everything (exercise, diet) to lose weight and only manage to lose 2 kg... but after i decided to love myself for who i am, i gradually lost 10 kg without exercise, i have no idea how i did it too, maybe just eat lesser that's all. But the sad thing is, i gained back all my weight because i ate alot during the holidays. Maintaining your weight is the hardest. Good luck girl!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain back 4 pounds in a week. Not if you have been continuing to do what you did to lose 4 pounds. I gained like 7 pounds in a week and this was while exercising and coming in under my calorie goals. The reason was my meds make me retain water, more than I am already prone to do. After a month the water weight is starting to come off or I am losing more weight than I am gaining in water weight. What evs. The point is you did not go over your calories by 14,000 in one week. If you did I don't know whether to be shocked by that or impressed.
  • OneChance2110
    Options
    You didn't gain back 4 pounds in a week. Not if you have been continuing to do what you did to lose 4 pounds. I gained like 7 pounds in a week and this was while exercising and coming in under my calorie goals. The reason was my meds make me retain water, more than I am already prone to do. After a month the water weight is starting to come off or I am losing more weight than I am gaining in water weight. What evs. The point is you did not go over your calories by 14,000 in one week. If you did I don't know whether to be shocked by that or impressed.

I'm not entirely sure what your trying to say here? thank you nonetheless
  • OneChance2110
    Options
    It could be muscle, don't weigh yourself, measure instead! Don't starve yourself because you will eventually give in. i used to do everything (exercise, diet) to lose weight and only manage to lose 2 kg... but after i decided to love myself for who i am, i gradually lost 10 kg without exercise, i have no idea how i did it too, maybe just eat lesser that's all. But the sad thing is, i gained back all my weight because i ate alot during the holidays. Maintaining your weight is the hardest. Good luck girl!

thank you, I will give measuring a try :)
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There could be a lot of other factors as well. 1 cup of water weighs 1/2 pound, "that time of the month" has a pretty significant effect on weight (I usually go up a few pounds). Drastically changing your diet AND activity level can do lots of things to your body.

The best you can do is meticulously log every last item you eat - including every single snack, drinks, condiments that have things like oil in them, etc. This is much more important that exercise. The easiest way to get into weight loss for most people is to start making a difference in their diet. If you find yourself struggling, just leave the exercise til later and focus solely on diet. You don't even need to cut out all the bad stuff - just learn how to regulate yourself by being completely honest in your food logging. Get out the measuring cups, or food scale, and measure everything for a few days to really get into portions, etc. It is guaranteed to make a difference.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

She's saying there's no way you could have gained 4 lbs of fat in a week unless you go over your calories by 14,000. And proceeded to explain that though she was doing everything right, she ended up gaining 7 lbs in a week because her meds made her retain water, more than she normally tends to retain.

Granted, you said you went up to 180 in 5 weeks. If you've been doing everything you say you should be doing, It could be water weight, or something else. Your weight is going to fluctuate day to day, and can even fluctuate up to 10 lbs. Remember that when you weigh yourself, the scale measures muscle, fat, bones, food, water, and organs. Your weight could go up a few pounds depending on what you ate and drank too. So I would also suggest taking measurements, like @temptations said. My weight has been fluctuating the past few weeks, and not going below 190. But I have been consistently losing inches, and I also take progress photos once a month, and can definitely see the difference, so I know I'm headed in the right direction.

If you aren't losing inches and can't see progress in photos, then you need to do something to change your diet, caloric intake, and workout routine.

So don't fret. Keep at it, don't give up. Just keep pushing forward and eventually the pounds will come off. They didn't pack on overnight, so they certainly won't come off overnight. You can do it!
  • melissabonnette5
    melissabonnette5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and just keep doing what you're doing. Throughout the month we have hormone issues that can make the scale move all over the place. But if you're tracking your food and working out, the scale will continue to go down. You just have to be patient and kind to yourself. You're doing great!
  • OneChance2110
    Options

She's saying there's no way you could have gained 4 lbs of fat in a week unless you go over your calories by 14,000. And proceeded to explain that though she was doing everything right, she ended up gaining 7 lbs in a week because her meds made her retain water, more than she normally tends to retain.

Granted, you said you went up to 180 in 5 weeks. If you've been doing everything you say you should be doing, It could be water weight, or something else. Your weight is going to fluctuate day to day, and can even fluctuate up to 10 lbs. Remember that when you weigh yourself, the scale measures muscle, fat, bones, food, water, and organs. Your weight could go up a few pounds depending on what you ate and drank too. So I would also suggest taking measurements, like @temptations said. My weight has been fluctuating the past few weeks, and not going below 190. But I have been consistently losing inches, and I also take progress photos once a month, and can definitely see the difference, so I know I'm headed in the right direction.

If you aren't losing inches and can't see progress in photos, then you need to do something to change your diet, caloric intake, and workout routine.

So don't fret. Keep at it, don't give up. Just keep pushing forward and eventually the pounds will come off. They didn't pack on overnight, so they certainly won't come off overnight. You can do it!

Ah, okkay, now I understand, I will definately start measuring and taking photos, that's took a great weight off my mind, thank you
  • OneChance2110
    Options
    Hang in there and just keep doing what you're doing. Throughout the month we have hormone issues that can make the scale move all over the place. But if you're tracking your food and working out, the scale will continue to go down. You just have to be patient and kind to yourself. You're doing great!

Thank you :)
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Scales suck, don't they? :angry:

I try not to set foot on a scale more than once a month. I know if I'm doing it right. I am eating well - whole foods, lots of protein and veggies more often than the treats. Of course making sure I have room for treats once in a while so as not to bore myself into a sugar-feast. Also I am exercising regularly. I also know if I'm doing it half-arsed. I'm eating sweets and "junk" for the majority of my calories or I'm going over consistently.

If I weigh too often I end up logging a loss too soon it sometimes fluctuates and I feel like I've gained, when really overall I am losing. :sad:

If I get a loss, no matter how small I count that as a win. That means I'm (ever so slowly) changing my habits. :bigsmile:

'
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Firstly - open your diary. If you're eating under 1400 calories a day, you're not eating enough, simple as that.
    Secondly - don't spend all your workout time on cardio - start lifting. Lift *heavy* (I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts).
    Thirdly - Get GOOD scales. If you can afford them, get some body composition scales that measure your body fat % (and bone mass, muscle mass, water etc). Weigh first thing in the morning after you pee, stark naked for your weight in LBS. Then weigh at night, just before dinner, stark naked to get your body fat %. You'll need to weigh every day for about a week and average it out to get your accurate body fat % (and make sure you're hydrating about the same amount each day).
    Lastly - MEASURE. Measure your upper arms, lower arms, thighs, calves, neck, bust, waist and hips. Do this once a week if you really need the numbers to show you how your body is changing. If you start weight lifting, it'll increase your *weight* initially (not by much) but you'll see huge drops in your measurements. It also will stop you ending up "skinny-fat" which is the affectionate term for being skinny but not hard / still flabby.

Essentially, you're not actually trying to lose *weight* you're trying to lose fat. Most people wouldn't care if they weighed 300lbs but were a size 10 and had a nice, toned body. Losing FAT happens mostly in the kitchen, funnily enough. You need to be eating *enough*, you need to be eating high protein, your diet should be least 75% vegetables, and you should cut out sugar as MUCH as humanly possible. Having your diary open will help a lot, especially if you're looking for pointers from MFPers.

Finally... keep at it, and GOOD LUCK :):flowerforyou:
  • OneChance2110
    Options
    Scales suck, don't they? :angry:

I try not to set foot on a scale more than once a month. I know if I'm doing it right. I am eating well - whole foods, lots of protein and veggies more often than the treats. Of course making sure I have room for treats once in a while so as not to bore myself into a sugar-feast. Also I am exercising regularly. I also know if I'm doing it half-arsed. I'm eating sweets and "junk" for the majority of my calories or I'm going over consistently.

If I weigh too often I end up logging a loss too soon it sometimes fluctuates and I feel like I've gained, when really overall I am losing. :sad:

If I get a loss, no matter how small I count that as a win. That means I'm (ever so slowly) changing my habits. :bigsmile:

'

That is exactly what I'm feeling like now, I guess it's just my body changing ect. like everyone above has told me. It feels so horrible but I know that I'm being as honest as possible in my food logs and I've tried to cut out fizzy drinks as much as possible. So eventually the numbers will drop, guess I'm a bit of a drama queen. lol
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    water,hormones, etc etc there are amillion reasons why the weight would go up but the fact of the matter is a pound of fat is TDEE+3500 and i highly doubt youve eat that five days in a row :) dont trip chocolate chip, be patient :)
  • OneChance2110
    Options
    Firstly - open your diary. If you're eating under 1400 calories a day, you're not eating enough, simple as that.
    Secondly - don't spend all your workout time on cardio - start lifting. Lift *heavy* (I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts).
    Thirdly - Get GOOD scales. If you can afford them, get some body composition scales that measure your body fat % (and bone mass, muscle mass, water etc). Weigh first thing in the morning after you pee, stark naked for your weight in LBS. Then weigh at night, just before dinner, stark naked to get your body fat %. You'll need to weigh every day for about a week and average it out to get your accurate body fat % (and make sure you're hydrating about the same amount each day).
    Lastly - MEASURE. Measure your upper arms, lower arms, thighs, calves, neck, bust, waist and hips. Do this once a week if you really need the numbers to show you how your body is changing. If you start weight lifting, it'll increase your *weight* initially (not by much) but you'll see huge drops in your measurements. It also will stop you ending up "skinny-fat" which is the affectionate term for being skinny but not hard / still flabby.

Essentially, you're not actually trying to lose *weight* you're trying to lose fat. Most people wouldn't care if they weighed 300lbs but were a size 10 and had a nice, toned body. Losing FAT happens mostly in the kitchen, funnily enough. You need to be eating *enough*, you need to be eating high protein, your diet should be least 75% vegetables, and you should cut out sugar as MUCH as humanly possible. Having your diary open will help a lot, especially if you're looking for pointers from MFPers.

Finally... keep at it, and GOOD LUCK :):flowerforyou:

Oh wow... Thank you! Funnily enough I just bought a new set of weights haha! and scales! Your advice was put amazinly thank you