Advice in Running...Please!!!!

Options
nonoark
nonoark Posts: 153 Member
I have always struggled with my weight and now that I have become more active I would like to try new things. I work out at the gym and normally use the elliptical and enjoy the burn then like to continue to work out on other machines to focus on other parts of my body. This is all great, but I have always been fascinated by those that run. I can't explain it. All I know is I would like to join them. Here is my problem, I have induced asthma (seems to be getting better with weight loss), a knee that had surgery a few years ago and a job that requires me to be fit enough to run from one end of the facility to the other in case of an emergency. I am looking for tips on how I can get started on building up my stamina to run without sounding like I am dying when I get to my destination. Eventually I would love to feel what it is like to throw on my shoes one day and "go out for a jog" just because it is part of my routine. Anyone have any pointers?

Replies

• catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    why don't you check out this - http://www.c25k.com/

I know a lot of people on here do it..

Good luck!! I think I will give it a go once I have got my 30 day squat challenge out of the way
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Running is an amazing feeling. My advice would be to find a local running club (if there's one in your area) and participate in a couch to 5K. If that's not a possibility, I would start off with just brisk walking at distances of increasing intervals. If your body handles that okay, I would advance to jogging for 100 meters then walking for 100meters and repeating until you can slowly increasing your running distance without the need to walk at all. Hope this helps!
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you can handle walking at a steady, decent pace for 30 mins, then you should be able to tackle a c25k. I'm working on one for the second time. I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma a few years ago, but that hasn't stopped me. Not to mention I am a smoker (trying to quit), but can still run. I am currently on week 6 day 2 of the c25k program.
  • onesmallcupcake
    Options
    Start with walk/run. Walk for 5 minutes, run for 1. Do this 4 times. Just make the run a comfy jog. The next week try walk for 4 1/2 run for 1 1/2 etc. before you know it, you are jogging for 5 minutes without stopping!! If t hats too big a step up, start with walk for 9, jog for 1.

I love running. I feel free when I am running. Stick with it and I promise it will get easier. Good luck. :)
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the couch to 5k plan. You can get free plans or podcasts at the uk NHS site or there are apps for mobile phones which tell you when to walk and run. You can repeat a week if you have found it difficult so building up to running can be done slowly. It's how I started running. When I first started I couldn't run a minute. Now I can run 10k and am preparing for a half marathon. Friend me if you would like some support or feel free to ask a question. Good luck :)
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing a few months ago, where I wondered how to get into running, and I did. I started by getting fit (building the stamina up) by doing lots of two hour or more walks which more often than not involved hill walking. I had been doing this for a year already. Then I kept that up but started the Couch to 5k program every second day (C25k). I got an injury in my 5th week of that. I started it again a few weeks after time to heal from that, and then about a week into it again it happened again. I was determined not to give up on running so joined a gym and had a session with a personal trainer. She gave me strength activities to do tailored to my injury problem and body type to prevent other future running injuries. I do the strength training every other day. I've been injury free doing the C25k program since and now I'm training for a 10k.
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    run on fake turf like a nice local soccer field.

run in a swimming pool in the shallow end during lap swim. extremely hard to get injured doing that super low impact!!!
  • Luciewithienoty
    Luciewithienoty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I first started running on the treadmill in the gym, I paid myself to run. I started out with run one minute/walk one minute, then increased to 2:1 etc.
    Every minute of running got chalked up on a board in the kitchen (my husband did it as well) & when I got to 100 minutes (£100) I bought my first iPod.
    By that stage it had just become part of my routine, so it was easy to continue.
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love the advise and when I hit the gym in the morning I will try the interval of 4-1 on the tread mill and see how I handle it. I am thrilled to see others who have been in my seat wanting but not sure. I will test the treadmill and then look at the couch to 5K. Love the idea of a pool, but just moved and do not have access to one now :(. I am still open to all encouragement and ideas that anyone has. Every bit of help is welcomed!
  • Ctmish78
    Ctmish78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck! 3 Years ago I couldnt even run a mile. I signed up for a 5 k and put in the work and a year later I was running the Marine Corps Marathon!! Running is fantastic and I wish you the bet with it.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just completed day two of C25K. I've always hated running. But like you, envied those who did it and actually enjoyed running. I figure my other attempts at weigh loss weren't successful, so I better try new things this time around! Good Luck.