No confidence I will ever lose

Options
jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
I am within healthy body weight but have thin arms and legs and excess weight on my torso. I know I can't spot reduce so I need to lose bodyfat generally. . I have been counting calories and using BMF for months and months and I constantly go up and down the same few pounds. Consequently, I subconsciously don't believe the weight will ever come off and so I lack motivation. I am great for a few weeks, don't lose weight and then give up. I'm trying to work on a deficit of about 300-500 ish (using my BMF to measure TDEE). I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 148 but am 36% body fat.

Please someone inspire me with what has worked for you.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Try adding in strength training to change your body composition.
  • Elvisfan4life
    Elvisfan4life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you may just need to tone up ....grab a fitness DVD and do it regularly you will lose weight too but toning up will make a huge difference ....small steps
  • trollydollymolly
    trollydollymolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You certainly do not need to lose any more weight... as others have said maybe some toning.

I think we are our own worst enemies as we often strive for the unattainable... yes, we can lose weight and yes we can tone up.. but will we ever achieve our ideal body shape... I don't thinks so.

Sue
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eat protein rich foods, and work on toning. I do heavy lifting 6 days a week, as well as cardio.
    Lots of tuna, chicken, eggs :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree - start doing some resistance training. If you can't visualise weights, or are not sure if you will enjoy them, then I would really recommend buying yourself a resistance band. They are cheap, and there are a tonne of exercises you can download off the internet. You will be blown away by how much your body will respond to this type of exercise, especially if you haven't incorporated it so far.

Also, move. Try running. Pace yourself, and start off easy. Walk for 2 minutes and jog for 1 minute, for around 30 minutes to start with. Aim to decrease your walking by 30 seconds after a week, and increasing your jogging by 30 seconds. Each week, decrease and increase, and before you know it you will be running longer than you are walking. If running doesn't float your boat, try cycling. Or get a great cardio dvd - there are some awesome ones out there. A friend of mine is using a Michelle Bridges 3 dvd set that really challenges her. She has increased her cardio fitness dramatically, and also toned up really well.

Aim to alternate cardio and resistance each day. Maybe 3 days cardio one week, and 2 days resistance. Then the next week 3 days resistance and 2 days cardio. Cardio is good to do every day, but it really depends on what kind of time you have available to you. It may not be realistic. But whatever you decide is realistic; stick with it every week for a month. This is something you sound hungry for. So feed your hunger and commit to yourself.

I have thyroid issues, and understand the frustration of things taking a while. But things are better today for me, than they were 10 months ago. I have definitely improved my fitness, and I am much more positive and disciplined. I love that today I can look back and see clear distance between where I was and where I am now. Those little steps really do add up, believe me.

You are worth it, and this is a great place to surround yourselves with encouragement and inspiration.

Good luck!

xx
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Change your goals from weight loss oriented to performance oriented for a while. Try to get faster, stronger, and more powerful. If you do that while on a deficit you'll find it a lot more interesting than watching the calories tick off on your calorie counting device. Getting better can force your body to the next level of fitness
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I think we are our own worst enemies as we often strive for the unattainable... yes, we can lose weight and yes we can tone up.. but will we ever achieve our ideal body shape... I don't thinks so.

not sure if i agree with this or not.... i dont think there is anything wrong with aiming high... but you may be right about striving for the unattainable.

i have never had a lot of weight to lose (lost 18lbs) but the one thing i have learnt while i have been on MFP is to accept and love the body you have.... that doesnt mean you CANT change certain things... but at the same time you have to accept that some of it is just how you're made (genetics) which you can do nothing about!

for example, i am totally flat chested.... when i was bigger i was a decent A cup.... now i am working on losing more bodyfat i dont think i classify as having a cup full stop!!!! but i am starting to get some abs, so its a sacrifice i am willing to take...!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Change your goals from weight loss oriented to performance oriented for a while. Try to get faster, stronger, and more powerful. If you do that while on a deficit you'll find it a lot more interesting than watching the calories tick off on your calorie counting device. Getting better can force your body to the next level of fitness

THIS
  • KT0104
    KT0104 Posts: 33
    Options
    Have to agree with the majority here ; tone a little and build muscle ~ your weight may not change (you'll swap muscle for fat) ~ but you'll reduce the inches ~ so will get the shape you want ~ win/win. Resistance bands are good. I'd give TRX a bash if there's a class near you ~ I love it! It can be as challenging as you choose, but no faffing around with difference meachines and trying to remember what weight you use at each ~ you are the weight :) It's all about using your own body weight and resistance. I love the effect it's had on my shape! After losing around 50lbs I couldn;t shift any more. A few weeks of TRX and I still didn't lose weight ~ but lost 3" off my waist (amongst others!)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I am within healthy body weight but have thin arms and legs and excess weight on my torso. I know I can't spot reduce so I need to lose bodyfat generally. . I have been counting calories and using BMF for months and months and I constantly go up and down the same few pounds. Consequently, I subconsciously don't believe the weight will ever come off and so I lack motivation. I am great for a few weeks, don't lose weight and then give up. I'm trying to work on a deficit of about 300-500 ish (using my BMF to measure TDEE). I'm 5ft 7 and weigh 148 but am 36% body fat.

Please someone inspire me with what has worked for you.

You have to realize that those calculators are just an estimate first and that it sometimes takes trial and error. Then you also have to be honest with yourself and ask if you are consistently hitting numbers day in day out and not losing, then it might be time to consider lowering cals. I personally made my own chart a long time ago based on info from a few different formulas and factored in my tdee based on how many days. It also helps to track weight accurately since it can fluctuate a lot.
  • chickadelta
    chickadelta Posts: 43
    Options
    The title of this is really cool if you pretend the OP is Yoda
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    I would try some free weights, and probably eat more protein and cut down a lot on your carbs if you eat a lot of them. But thats just my opinion for what its worth honey. XX good luck
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You're in the normal range BMI but more than a third of your body mass is fat? That 36% reading can't be right. In any case you need to start lifting weight. Pick up a New Rules of Lifting book.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    You're in the normal range BMI but more than a third of your body mass is fat? That 36% reading can't be right. In any case you need to start lifting weight. Pick up a New Rules of Lifting book.
    I think it's because I have a small frame and thin lower arms and legs. The fat seems to be mainly in one place- the torso. I got this figure from a Tanita scale, measured by a PT using a hand held and scale gadget and by using measurements and calculating it.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well I am in the same place as you, I have 21 pounds to my goal weight but all the fat is in the middle. I have tried stepping up my exercise, walk and do so exercise videos (30 day shred available on youtube) and workouts with light weights and I am slowly but surely losing around the middle. Also I try to keep my carbs lower and my protein higher. I also have thyroid issues so it has taken me some time to get here but I will not give up. You shouldn't either, it CAN be done!
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    all of the above try weights and focus on toning and you'll shape up. I have lost over 100lbs so far, I'm 5ft 6 and would be very happy at 148lbs currently I'm at 175lbs and aiming for 165lbs as my ideal.

It's hard when you carry the weight around your middle I do and that is where it's worst but it's getting there with toning. I do body pump classes and weights in the gym

1300 cals seems quite low tho I wouldn't go below 1500 to ensure you are losing not in starvation mode, sent a freind request if you want to accept x :smile: