Terrified to up my calories

Options
I'm currently eating 1500 cals a day and not losing actually seen a gain of .8 of a pound this week , I workout 6 days a week burning 1000 cals ( according to my polar ft7 HRM ) it has been suggested I'm not eating enough but I am so god damn afraid of putting on weight if i up my calories
Please share yer success stories if ye have been in a similar situation did it work for you
I'm 5"2 female 130 pounds goal weight of 120

Replies

• MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Anyone ?
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    can I suggest up the calories for two weeks and see what that gives you.. it's only 2 weeks.. you may find it works..
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing anymore on 1500 calories. Back in late March I upped to 1800 calories, and through the first 3 weeks of April I lost 4 pounds. I have no idea what I weigh now, because I refuse to weigh myself again until June 10, but clothes are fitting looser now.

I'm 5'4.5" tall, started March at 140 pounds, dropped to 136, not sure what now. Goal is probably mid-120's, but I am actually aiming for a 16% body fat goal. Right now it's at 22%.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    I wasn't losing anymore on 1500 calories. Back in late March I upped to 1800 calories, and through the first 3 weeks of April I lost 4 pounds. I have no idea what I weigh now, because I refuse to weigh myself again until June 10, but clothes are fitting looser now.

I'm 5'4.5" tall, started March at 140 pounds, dropped to 136, not sure what now. Goal is probably mid-120's, but I am actually aiming for a 16% body fat goal. Right now it's at 22%.

What's your exercise routine like ? How did u come up with 1800 calories ? And do you eat that everyday even if you don't exercise
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1500 a day or netting 1500 a day after exercise? You should be eating 2500 a day on exercise days or you'll be giving yourself way too great a deficit which won't help in the long run.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Are you eating 1500 a day or netting 1500 a day after exercise? You should be eating 2500 a day on exercise days or you'll be giving yourself way too great a deficit which won't help in the long run.

Eating 1500 calories , I couldn't see myself losing weight on 2500 calories that's over maintainance for my height + weight
  • ragazza1
    ragazza1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a similar height and weight to you and do alot of exercise. On days when I burn around 1000 calories I would definitely be eating over 2000 calories. MFP has me set to a base of 1200 but as there are no days when I do not do some form of exercise I am eating more than that.Have lost 4 pounds over 3 weeks or so and dropped 3% body fat.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

What's your exercise routine like ? How did u come up with 1800 calories ? And do you eat that everyday even if you don't exercise

1800 calories for me is TDEE-15%.

I lift weights 4 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week.

I eat like this everyday, never eat back exercise cals, etc. because TDEE factors in exercise and gives you an average per day whether you exercise or not.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    I am a similar height and weight to you and do alot of exercise. On days when I burn around 1000 calories I would definitely be eating over 2000 calories. MFP has me set to a base of 1200 but as there are no days when I do not do some form of exercise I am eating more than that.Have lost 4 pounds over 3 weeks or so and dropped 3% body fat.

4 pounds in 3 weeks that's fantastic , did u always eat exercise calories back? I'm just afraid of a initial weight gain upping my calories because ill battle with myself to keep eating higher calories if I see a gain :/
  • MACnificence
    Options

[/quote]

1800 calories for me is TDEE-15%.

I lift weights 4 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week.

I eat like this everyday, never eat back exercise cals, etc. because TDEE factors in exercise and gives you an average per day whether you exercise or not.

What TDEE calculator do you suggest for accuracy ? Do you have any cheat meals ? I normally have one a week where my calories def go above my calorie goal for the day but I'm not sure by how much because its normally having a meal out
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I *never* eat exercise calories back because I do not use MFP rules. I calculated my TDEE and subtracted a percentage from that. It just turns out that I had subtracted too large of a deficit before because I didn't recalculate things when I got more fit. My TDEE had changed, but I didn't change my eating habits which is why I stalled. I recalculated things because I was lighter and was exercising more (when I started out I was only working out 3 days a week total).
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    What TDEE calculator do you suggest for accuracy ? Do you have any cheat meals ? I normally have one a week where my calories def go above my calorie goal for the day but I'm not sure by how much because its normally having a meal out

There are a couple that give me similar results, like the one on Scooby's Workshop website.

I don't have "cheat meals" because I don't make anything off limits. It's silly to do so as that sets you up for failure when you start craving things. I set a minimum protein goal of 1 gram per pound lean body weight (and go over frequently which is perfectly fine) and I set a minimum fat goal of 0.35 grams per pound total body weight (and go over this as well which is also perfectly fine...these 2 are MINIMUMS so I have to hit them or go over...never under). As long as I hit my protein and fat goals and come close to my 1800 calorie goal, it matters not what I eat. I have lots of pizza, pasta, ice cream, and cheesecake and lose body fat consistently.

As far as eating out, I check the website for nutritional info and adjust the rest of my daily intake accordingly. If I choose to eat take out pizza, I'm usually done for the day, lol! But, that's my choice and if I just have one big meal, that's OK. Meal timing is totally irrelevant and a huge myth that people like to perpetuate in these boards. As long as you have your correct amount of calories, the "when" doesn't matter.
  • MeeraAnnT
    MeeraAnnT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i am 5'2 and 127lbs, i used to eat 1200 cals for a long time...and i wasnt losing anything....and now i eat at least 1600 cals a day and i am losing 1 pound a week again.....i never had that adjustment period, i just started losing... maybe because i was on a plateau for so long...im not sure... i exercise 3-5hours a week.....even the weeks where i dont exercise i still lose...maybe because of upping the calories...dont know how it works exactly but it did for me! :)
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So pretty much you eat 500 a day, meaning your body is probably in starvation mode. Not eating back your calories becomes a problem if you exercise as much as you do. It's not as bad for people who only exercise say 2/3 times a week. You might gain weight when you op the calories, but it needs to be done if you want to get your body out of starvation mode. I think there was a very helpful topic on this matter. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6737-true-confessions-from-a-slow-learner and read any of the topics mentioned here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • MACnificence
    Options
    i am 5'2 and 127lbs, i used to eat 1200 cals for a long time...and i wasnt losing anything....and now i eat at least 1600 cals a day and i am losing 1 pound a week again.....i never had that adjustment period, i just started losing... maybe because i was on a plateau for so long...im not sure... i exercise 3-5hours a week.....even the weeks where i dont exercise i still lose...maybe because of upping the calories...dont know how it works exactly but it did for me! :)

I would be so over the moon to be losing a 1Ib a week now that's really encouraging it works for you , it's crazy how it goes against everything we've learned to eat less move more , I'm really hoping I don't have a adjustment period either I think I will have to give it a shot because my weight fluctuating from week to week is driving me nuts , I need to break the 130 mark once and for all :)
    Thank you for your reply and congrats on your loss so far :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Do a refeed
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Ok so I worked out my TDEE - 20% gives me 1700 that's considering my height weight age and a moderate activity , I don't consider myself to do strenuous workouts so I don't think active or very active suits me

So eating 1700 I will still be burning 1000 most days that's takes me to 700 calories , as far as I gather that's still not enough ?
  • magician27
    magician27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you should be able to lose weight at that calorie intake. make sure you have right macronutrient ratios . have 0.8 -1 gram protein per pound of body weight 0.5 gram fat per pound of bodyweight rest of calories from carbs. you need to restrict carbs to some degree. if you have been restricting them for long time , and not losing weight , have a refeed day with high carb low fat and restrict your fat intake that day eating your maintanence calories. that will help
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Do a refeed

A refeed scares the life out of me , my mentality isn't strong enough to see a big gain I wish it wasn't the case but I get very emotional over seeing gains , as I mentioned I am terrified of gaining weight I know you might think that's sound silly but I can't help it
  • MACnificence
    Options
    you should be able to lose weight at that calorie intake. make sure you have right macronutrient ratios . have 0.8 -1 gram protein per pound of body weight 0.5 gram fat per pound of bodyweight rest of calories from carbs. you need to restrict carbs to some degree. if you have been restricting them for long time , and not losing weight , have a refeed day with high carb low fat and restrict your fat intake that day eating your maintanence calories. that will help

1500 calories or 1700 calories ?