Going over your protein intake...

Options
Just looking at my days diary, I'm new to this but today I went way over in protein! Is this a bad thing?

I realized how easy it is to go over with fruit too, pretty much two pieces of fruit is too much. I've decided that natural sugar doesn't count in this number so I'm less concerned there... Just wondering if I'm od'ing on protein and if I should be concerned?

Replies

• yenilopez1985
    yenilopez1985 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Same here... lets see what the pros say... i want to make myself believe that is not too bad since you are asked to eat lots of protein
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    well what ratio are you using?

excess protein is synthesized into other uses. I wouldnt worry too much about it. its better to go over protein than any other macro(calorie wise).

Only time I would worry is if you have liver dysfunction or a kidney problem
  • sarahbernardi123
    sarahbernardi123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey! I think that going over your protein isn't a huge deal...especially if you are doing weight lifting along with your cardio, however if you are not doing to much weight lifting activity you might want to aim for a slightly l ower intake! I hope that helps! And for the fruit thing...I always have the same problem hahaha
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein all the time. It depends on your ratio...some say 1g of protein per body weight, or 1g per lean body mass. There are loads of different variables all over the interwebs. I think you should be fine.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Personally, going over protein tends to be on the bottom of my list of concerns. I think you're fine.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    If you want me to be a smart *kitten* about why it isnt as big of a deal.
    Thermic effect of protein is 20-30%(so it becomes about 3 cals after ingestion). Even excess protein that is synthesized for other uses will have to go under gluconeogenesis (thats' if the amino acid is not ketogenic). By the time it becomes glucose it is already worth about 50%(2 cals) of the original energy(4cals)
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Going over your recommended protein intake won't do anything.

It's recommended that you don't exceed 280g of protein a day but seriously, who's going to manage that.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Going over your recommended protein intake won't do anything.

It's recommended that you don't exceed 280g of protein a day but seriously, who's going to manage that.
    you would be surprised

challenge-accepted.png
  • diamondsword
    diamondsword Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I heard that if you have more protein then it is eliminated by the body. I just wonder how this impacts on calorie intake and weight gain. If anyone knows I would love to know.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am interested in finding out how to estimate how much is a good amount of protein.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am interested in finding out how to estimate how much is a good amount of protein.

A good place to start is to set your mimimum protein amount to 1 gram per pound lean body weight. It's OK to go over this amount, but it is a mimimum and should be met.

ETA: Setting MFP's goal to that exact number is difficult since the makers of MFP go by percentages in multiples of fives...just set the percentage to the number that most closely matches your goal in grams since it does show you the grams beside the percentages.
  • KanCrav
    Options

A good place to start is to set your mimimum protein amount to 1 gram per pound lean body weight. It's OK to go over this amount, but it is a mimimum and should be met.

ETA: Setting MFP's goal to that exact number is difficult since the makers of MFP go by percentages in multiples of fives...just set the percentage to the number that most closely matches your goal in grams since it does show you the grams beside the percentages.

So if I want to weigh 130 pounds I should eat 130 grams of protein a day????
  • DatMurse
    Options
    I heard that if you have more protein then it is eliminated by the body. I just wonder how this impacts on calorie intake and weight gain. If anyone knows I would love to know.
    advanced_nutrition_6.jpg

it never gets wasted. If it gets wasted then something is wrong with your kidney's and/or digestive system.
  • KanCrav
    Options
    What do we think about this calculator??? MFP said I have 70 grams I think. But this is saying LOTS less. I am very confused. :(

http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_protein.html
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Ok, so nobody mentioned the major downside of too much brotein?

Bro farts. Stinky *kitten* bro farts! If you happen to eat a food that also increases the volume of your emanations, look out!

Beano can go a long way towards alleviating this. Not just for beans. Beano with bread, raw broccoli, or anything else that can cause gas.

Worst offender? High brotein meatloaf. The loaf makes it big, the meat makes it stank.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Bro farts. Stinky *kitten* bro farts! If you happen to eat a food that also increases the volume of your emanations, look out!

Beano can go a long way towards alleviating this. Not just for beans. Beano with bread, raw broccoli, or anything else that can cause gas.

Worst offender? High brotein meatloaf. The loaf makes it big, the meat makes it stank.
    My protein farts releases pheromones. Women come running toward me for miles
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHAHA. i love you.
  • emafairycake1986
    emafairycake1986 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Mwah haha love it ...well mine dont and they make the boys run ;)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

Oh you guys! Yes, the puffs do tell when raising protein and especially whey for me...found the right combo that is not painful (bloating and trapped gas) anymore but still, this is the reality...

Oh and I hit 210 g protein yesterday. So ladies, the protein overs are a good thing...if you want it all to be put to good use, start lifting some heavy stuff. That way, your lean mass stays intact too... : )
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

i aim for high protein and lord the gas I produce makes me run from myself