HCG Diet

Options
Can someone please explain to me what the HCG Diet is and their thoughts on it? I've seen posts about it, but have no clue what it is. Thanks

Replies

• Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but you made me look it up on Google and all I could find was advertisements, which is telling right there. So then I went to a trusted website "webmd" and found this article.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but you made me look it up on Google and all I could find was advertisements, which is telling right there. So then I went to a trusted website "webmd" and found this article.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss
    Wow...Thanks...I got as far as restricting your diet to 500 calories a day and that was enough to turn me off.
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    A married couple I know lost 32 and 30 lbs on this recently. They explained it to me, I don't remember all the details but, I think exercise was discouraged or something and I decided it wasn't for me.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Basically you take a hormone derivitive. Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin, to be exact ,or better known as the pregnancy hormone. Anytime you go messin' with the hormones , it's a bad thing.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I was sooooo sick through my whole pregnancy. I don't know the specific hormone that causes morning (noon, and night) sickness but as soon as I saw pregnancy hormone, I said no way. I could not fathom it when I first saw it on here.

I am trying to just eat like a normal person. I am not buying all organic or taking anything. I am making all my own dinners and lunches. Minimal processed (box) foods. If I make hubby cook dinner then that is what we get. Calories in less than calories out. I tried other diets and want something I can just learn to eat normally
  • caldwellchris
    Options
    We are all here to support each other. I am going through the weight loss journey with you and everyone else here because I've allowed my health to slide by taking it for granted for the past several years.

Before you choose to put hormones or chemicals in your body and follow a fad diet, please read this ENTIRE article from MayoClinic.com.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

Question
    HCG diet: Is it safe and effective?Does the HCG diet work — and is it safe?
    Answer
    from Jennifer K. Nelson, M.S., R.D., L.D.
    Because the HCG diet combines injections or supplements of the HCG hormone along with severe calorie restriction, YOU MAY LOSE WEIGHT -- AT LEAST FOR THE SHORT TERM. BUT IT'S THE CALORIE RESTRICTION THAT CAUSES THE WEIGHT LOSS, NOT THE HCG. In addition, the safety of HCG for weight loss is uncertain, and the hormone hasn't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for obesity or weight control.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues.

Proponents of the HCG diet say that HCG can help you lose weight, burn fat and redistribute fat away from your buttocks and stomach. On the HCG diet, you either receive injections of HCG or take HCG supplements. The HCG diet also requires you to drastically cut your calorie intake, typically consuming just 500 to 800 calories a day — about one-fourth to one-half of the standard calorie recommendations. The HCG diet is typically offered through weight-loss clinics that say they will provide medical supervision.

Although researchers have studied the HCG diet for years, no high-quality studies have shown that the hormone itself helps weight loss. Following any very low calorie diet is likely to result in weight loss, regardless of taking HCG. And the HCG diet can have drawbacks. SEVERE CALORIE RESTRICTION CAN MAKE IT HARD TO MEET ALL OF YOUR NUTRITIONAL NEEDS. AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS CAN LEAD TO GALLSTONES. ALSO, HCG CAN CAUSE SIDE EFFECTS, INCLUDING HEADACHE, FATIGUE, IRRITABILITY AND MALE BREAST ENLARGEMENT. And be careful about buying HCG products on the Internet — they might not be what they say they are.

ONCE YOU STOP THE HCG DIET, YOU'RE LIKELY TO REGAIN ANY WEIGHT YOU LOST. THE KEY TO PERMANENT WEIGHT LOSS IS DEVELOPING HEALTHY EATING AND EXERCISE HABITS -- NOT FOLLOWING FAD DIETS.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've seen several people who've been on this here, and I thought it sounded too good to be true. You just don't loose 30 lbs in one month in a healthy way and KEEP it off. After reading what caldwellchris posted, my suspicions are true: once the injections stop, you gain the weight back.

And I'm with jfinn - 500 calories a day????? There is NOOOOOO way I could do that, and it's not healthy for you. I'll stick to what I'm doing because it seems to be working fine!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not doing it, but I saw quite a few posts on it and was intrigued about it. Gonna lose weight the old fashioned and healthiest way.
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    We are all here to support each other. I am going through the weight loss journey with you and everyone else here because I've allowed my health to slide by taking it for granted for the past several years.

Before you choose to put hormones or chemicals in your body and follow a fad diet, please read this ENTIRE article from MayoClinic.com.

Question
    Answer
    Because the HCG diet combines injections or supplements of the HCG hormone along with severe calorie restriction, YOU MAY LOSE WEIGHT -- AT LEAST FOR THE SHORT TERM. BUT IT'S THE CALORIE RESTRICTION THAT CAUSES THE WEIGHT LOSS, NOT THE HCG. In addition, the safety of HCG for weight loss is uncertain, and the hormone hasn't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for obesity or weight control.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues.

Proponents of the HCG diet say that HCG can help you lose weight, burn fat and redistribute fat away from your buttocks and stomach. On the HCG diet, you either receive injections of HCG or take HCG supplements. The HCG diet also requires you to drastically cut your calorie intake, typically consuming just 500 to 800 calories a day — about one-fourth to one-half of the standard calorie recommendations. The HCG diet is typically offered through weight-loss clinics that say they will provide medical supervision.

Although researchers have studied the HCG diet for years, no high-quality studies have shown that the hormone itself helps weight loss. Following any very low calorie diet is likely to result in weight loss, regardless of taking HCG. And the HCG diet can have drawbacks. SEVERE CALORIE RESTRICTION CAN MAKE IT HARD TO MEET ALL OF YOUR NUTRITIONAL NEEDS. AND RAPID WEIGHT LOSS CAN LEAD TO GALLSTONES. ALSO, HCG CAN CAUSE SIDE EFFECTS, INCLUDING HEADACHE, FATIGUE, IRRITABILITY AND MALE BREAST ENLARGEMENT. And be careful about buying HCG products on the Internet — they might not be what they say they are.

ONCE YOU STOP THE HCG DIET, YOU'RE LIKELY TO REGAIN ANY WEIGHT YOU LOST. THE KEY TO PERMANENT WEIGHT LOSS IS DEVELOPING HEALTHY EATING AND EXERCISE HABITS -- NOT FOLLOWING FAD DIETS.

Reaaaaally Random, but you're dog is absolutely beautiful!

Annd yeah that article does not sound like something I'd ever want to do...
  • caldwellchris
    Options

Question
    Answer

Reaaaaally Random, but you're dog is absolutely beautiful!

Annd yeah that article does not sound like something I'd ever want to do...

Thanks! I breed and raise Siberian Huskies!

My website is http://www.Siberian-Husky-Puppies.com if you wanna check it out.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    My husband I I are currently doing the hcg diet and we are very satisfied with it. Not so much for the weight loss, which is really good, but for the way it emphasizes really clean eating. There's no room is this protocol for a low-calorie processed snack food or a way to wiggle in extra calories. Everything we eat (except for the dreaded cheat now and then) is organic, mostly raw and as close to nature as possible. No soda, no artificial sweeteners, etc.

The eating plan includes very lean proteins, certain vegetables and fruits, and two low calorie, low fat carb servings daily.

HCG is the hormone in pregnant women that signals the body to metabolize stored fat. While you are only consuming 500 calories a day, you are getting the rest of your caloric needs met by the body fat you are metabolizing.

You can absolutely exercise on the hcg diet, but you will not lose weight as quickly, because you will be building muscle - which is okay by me.

Those who put all the weight back on, probably failed to stabilize in phase 3 of the diet, which is where you continue the clean eating, but add more calories and discontinue the hcg.

The amount of hcg used is much less than that used for fertility treatments, or the amount naturally produced by a pregnant woman.

You do need to be alert to scams and make sure you are getting your hcg from a reputable source. There are injections, sub lingual drops, homeopathic preparations, etc.

For me, this has been terrific, because I have been able to get the scale to move, which it has not done in a long time.

This is just my personal take on the plan. It is not for everybody. It probably does not work the same for everybody, either. I just thought it would be good to add some btdt to this thread.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I 2nd SkinnyTime's experience. My results for my 35-day HCG protocol are in my signature and pretty much speak for themselves. My wife and I started Phase 1 (the loading phase) on July 2nd, started Phase 2 (the very low calorie diet) on July 5th, and started Phase 3 (maintenance) today. Instead of moving to Phase 4 (reintegration) in 21-45 days, we are doing Phase 3 for 30 days and then going another round since we both have more weight to lose.
  • Gorgeous1
    Gorgeous1 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of information and misinformation out there about it.

I am on it.

In short, it works but it's hard. It was developed by an Italian doctor in the 50s. You are only allowed 500 calories a day BUT it's not what you typically hear about a caloric intake that restrictive (If doesn't screw up your metabolism). It's designed to reset your hypothalamus and takes place in 4 phases. Phase 2 is the low calorie weight loss portion of the diet. Phase three is a stabilizing phase where you increase caloric intake to normal (1800-2000/day), reintroduce all but sugar and starch and maintain your lowest weight from phase two. It lasts three weeks. Phase 4 is a second stabilizing phase where you are reintroducing sugars and starches and maintaing your weight as well.

I have known plenty of folks who have done it successfully and never gained it back.

My suggestion, if you want more information about it is to read the original document report by the doctor who invented the plan. It's long, but will explain how he discovered it works, why it works and the clinical results he observed over years of treating thousands of patients.

Here's a link to a PDF of the original "Pounds and Inches" document by Dr. Simeon

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-18602524177663/Dr-Simeons-and-Companion-Guide.pdf
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty lengthy article on the subject that seems pretty balanced to me:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/hcg-diet.htm

My personal opinion is that I feel more comfortable sticking to more conventional methods for weight loss. If this works well for some, more power to them. I wish everyone well in their health and fitness endeavors. I think I'm just a little too old and boring to try something so drastically different from what I'm comfortable with — and what's been working well for me, by the way.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    Here's a pretty lengthy article on the subject that seems pretty balanced to me:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/hcg-diet.htm

My personal opinion is that I feel more comfortable sticking to more conventional methods for weight loss. If this works well for some, more power to them. I wish everyone well in their health and fitness endeavors. I think I'm just a little too old and boring to try something so drastically different from what I'm comfortable with — and what's been working well for me, by the way.

After starting a thread to support people on the HCG diet, I got many inquiries about the plan and use the website you mentioned as part of a page of collected information that I send out to anyone who wants more information.

Other posters are right, it's not for everyone. A few years ago I wouldn't have believed it either. But what I have learned about nutrition in the last 12 months has convinced me that this is the plan for me and this is the plan that will help me make the necessary, permanent modifications to my eating that are needed to maintain any weight loss.

Some say that the HCG doesn't help you lose weight - that is entirely possible - I think the VLCD is responsible for that.
    Some say that when you stop taking the HCG you will put the weight back on - that is entirely possible - if we go back to the same crappy way of eating that made us fat to begin with.

Anyone interested in some of the positive reports on HCG is welcome to join our thread. I have kept an MFP blog about my experience as well.
  • charboov
    Options
    I have done the HCG diet several times off and on since the late 70's. It is very hard to stick to because of only getting to eat 500 calories a day. I lost weight on it, but could never stick to it because of hunger. Then I gained my weight back, plus more. I choose now to do it the healthy way.
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    HCG is not a protocol for anyone who is losing weight by following the conventional guidelines. This is the: OMG, I've tried and tried and the scale just will not move! I still have the pooch! My thighs just will not change - no matter how many squats, lunges and leg lifts I do. This is the diet for those who constantly struggle with cravings on a minute by minute basis. This is the diet for those of us who have so screwed up our hormones and our metabolisms that our bodies refuse to tap into that forgotten (what Dr. Simeons calls abnormal) fat.

A person must commit to eating in a very strictly prescribed fashion for at the minimum 9 weeks. If done correctly, this will re-set the body's metabolism and allow a person to consume the proper amount of calories and not gain. It is a life long program in that you get on the scale every day for the rest of your life and take the appropriate actions if you have a gain of more than 2 pounds.

If not, it's then just another starvation/binge cycle which does no one any good.

Personally, I have seen great changes in a short amount of time. I put on my engagement ring for the first time in 2 years, because my fingers and joints were no longer too swollen for me to wear it. I was able to put on a pair of calf-boots, because my calves are finally small enough for them to fit.

If I am not able to maintain, then shame on me for losing the discipline.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    I guess then it is fair to say that if someone puts the weight back on because they didn't change from poor eating habits to good eating habits . . . .then it's not the diet that's to blame.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    HCG is not a protocol for anyone who is losing weight by following the conventional guidelines. This is the: OMG, I've tried and tried and the scale just will not move! I still have the pooch! My thighs just will not change - no matter how many squats, lunges and leg lifts I do. This is the diet for those who constantly struggle with cravings on a minute by minute basis. This is the diet for those of us who have so screwed up our hormones and our metabolisms that our bodies refuse to tap into that forgotten (what Dr. Simeons calls abnormal) fat.

A person must commit to eating in a very strictly prescribed fashion for at the minimum 9 weeks. If done correctly, this will re-set the body's metabolism and allow a person to consume the proper amount of calories and not gain. It is a life long program in that you get on the scale every day for the rest of your life and take the appropriate actions if you have a gain of more than 2 pounds.

If not, it's then just another starvation/binge cycle which does no one any good.

Personally, I have seen great changes in a short amount of time. I put on my engagement ring for the first time in 2 years, because my fingers and joints were no longer too swollen for me to wear it. I was able to put on a pair of calf-boots, because my calves are finally small enough for them to fit.

If I am not able to maintain, then shame on me for losing the discipline.

Thanks for the explanation. Congrats on your great changes! :flowerforyou: I know how you feel. We're doing it different ways, but I'm at my lowest weight in my entire adult life, and I'm turning 50 this year. There aren't words for how elated I am for finally getting my stuff together. I hope you keep having good results and keep feeling good!